diamondd817

Private Sales of Handguns

Trying to find out the new procedure for FTF/Private Sales of Handguns. I know there is a thread on private Sales, but I just read 5 pages and no mention of handgun.  So I want to start a thread about private Sales of Handguns only! 

First question: Do we need to got to an FFL for a NICS check?

Second: If so, who fills out the seller portion now, the private seller or the dealer? 

Third: If seller, how would the State know if you actually did a NICS check at the point of sale?

Begin.

12 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Trying to find out the new procedure for FTF/Private Sales of Handguns. I know there is a thread on private Sales, but I just read 5 pages and no mention of handgun.  So I want to start a thread about private Sales of Handguns only! 

First question: Do we need to got to an FFL for a NICS check?

Second: If so, who fills out the seller portion now, the private seller or the dealer? 

Third: If seller, how would the State know if you actually did a NICS check at the point of sale?

Begin.

1. Yes

2. Dealer

For the most part its handled just as any other firearm transfer of a pistol. Regardless who it came from.

Each dealer will have there own procedure but from what i can tell the majority of dealers will be treating these just as they treat a firearm purchased online and shipped to them.

I'm pretty sure by days end the majority of posts in this thread will be bitching about the new laws and the FFL's without actually answering your question :)

• Like 1

Would not the seller on the form still be the Private Party as it was not directly addressed in the law as a change? I guess it really doesn't matter as long as the handgun is now registered to the buyer. The dealer needs to do something to earn his fee.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

So basically:

1. Buyer and seller meet at FFL.

2. Buyer pays seller.

3. Seller hands pistol over to FFL.

4. Seller leaves with no responsibility to fill out or mail in P2P forms.

5. FFL completes transfer with buyer, FFL fills out P2P.

6. FFL gets paid for transfer.

20 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Would not the seller on the form still be the Private Party as it was not directly addressed in the law as a change? I guess it really doesn't matter as long as the handgun is now registered to the buyer. The dealer needs to do something to earn his fee.

Few ways to do it but considering they have to goto the ffl no point in having there personal info passed on to a stranger. In the end the results are the same 

19 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

So basically:

2. Buyer pays seller.

Pretty much 

once fun I s checked it to our book seller can leave 

So, what happens if:

2. Buyer pays seller.

5. FFL runs nics and it comes back as Denied.

6. Buyer contacts seller to come back to the shop and give a ‘partial’ refund.

However, as the pistol was needed to be in the ffl’s books before doing the nics check, the Pistol is now registered to the ffl. So seller needs to get another permit to transfer back to themselves before trying to sell again??

18 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

So, what happens if:

2. Buyer pays seller.

However, as the pistol was needed to be in the ffl’s books before doing the nics check, the Pistol is now registered to the ffl. So seller needs to get another permit to transfer back to themselves before trying to sell again??

Doesn't sound like the sellers problem. The buyer, now the owner of the pistol, can leave it at the dealer and sell it to someone else. Just like when some people buy a pistol have it sit at the FFL and sell it before ever taking possession of it. 

And for what it's worth, I think this would be an extremely rare situation considering the buyer has a P2P.

• Like 1

So, what happens if:
2. Buyer pays seller.

I think sellers would not want a sale to be based on if the buyer can pass nics

Seller drove, met etc etc I doubt they care as I would not if I were them .

True denials are also very rare

1 hour ago, remixer said:

Few ways to do it but considering they have to goto the ffl no point in having there personal info passed on to a stranger. In the end the results are the same 

Pretty much 

once fun I s checked it to our book seller can leave 

So what  paperwork does the seller actually leave with?

Seriously, that's it?  No paperwork of the transaction?
If the seller asks for documentation, I give them a duplicate receipt, as the buyer is the one that usually gets the receipt.

Seriously, that's it?  No paperwork of the transaction?

Some people don’t have issue with that... so, you and me might be in the minority. [emoji6]

Myself, I want to know where the gun goes directly after me. Two people past me... don’t care. If it was ever used in a crime, I can pull out some type of documentation and say it wasn’t me. Might sound like passing the buck, but if I’m going to get jammed up for one of my guns shooting someone... rather it be my fault than someone else’s.

People always mentioned that you don’t have to keep CoEs. I do. Every gun I own or sold... exceptions being gifted long guns (Marlin 60 my father got me when I was younger... but I do think I have the actual receipt stapled in the manual). Any gun I sold, which I never sold a pistol within NJ, I have either a CoE or tracking info/copy of the FFL I sent it to. If it gets traced to me, the FFL will have it coming in, and going out to someone else. Might seem similar to how anti-gun people sold the current law, but I do it for myself, and myself alone.

Had three polymer AR lowers that went back to the manufacturer because they were garbage... my three CoEs are all together, with the email exchange, confirmation that lowers were received/money refunded, and tracking info that showed they signed for it. I would think they destroyed them, but it isn’t like storing a few pages is that strenuous. If I get someone asking me about some Tennessee Arms lower that the serial number matches a transfer to me out of Ocean, NJ... they can have a nice talk with Tennessee Arms about it.

Still not fond of this entire law, as similar documentation would be received with a pistol permit via the old way. Same with long guns, as CoEs were required. Going through an FFL just kicks in $15 to NJ for each transfer... not a Ponzi scheme, but pretty sly.

Seriously, another thread on transfers?
Can we skip to the part that FFL's are pricks cause they want the transfer fee, cause that's the best part, lol!
I think that the FFLs should get together and double their fees for F2F transfers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

I think that the FFLs should get together and double their fees for F2F transfers.

I'm here till Tuesday; TRY THE VEAL :) 

47 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Seriously, another thread on transfers?

Can we skip to the part that FFL's are pricks cause they want the transfer fee, cause that's the best part, lol!

Saw nothing here but an honest exchange of info untill your wiseass remark.

5 minutes ago, siderman said:

Saw nothing here but an honest exchange of info untill your wiseass remark.

A redundant, unnecessary exchange of info.  If a FFL books-in a long gun, they would hafta book-in a hand gun.  They do the paperwork & their FFL # is written down as the Seller on a P2P.  But I do see yer point.  I hope you understand mine?  Just tired of guys volunteering their time & effort only to be pissed-on by rank & file (fill-in the blank___).

~R

ok boys... lets not argue to fight about this...

we have more important things to worry about... Like democrats sending mail bombs to each other.

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

I'm satisfied with my transfer fee's.....they are fair and will not be doubling them :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

With all these threads happening and so much confusion about all this, even though it's being sorted out, FFL's are GOING to start charging more since everyone's being a pain in the ass!

9 minutes ago, remixer said:

ok boys... lets not argue to fight about this...

we have more important things to worry about... Like democrats sending mail bombs to each other.

I'm satisfied with my transfer fee's.....they are fair and will not be doubling them :)

Steve tootin his own horn over here.. No complaints on my end...especially for 3+ items on one transfer :-)

... I'm satisfied with my transfer fee's.....they are fair and will not be doubling them...

Just wait until you get super busy doing F2Fs. Double your fee, maybe lose half your customers, do half the work, and make the same money. LOL

2 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Just wait until you get super busy doing F2Fs. Double your fee, maybe lose half your customers, do half the work, and make the same money. LOL

Ill just stop doing F2F unless you have an appointment.

5 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

So basically:

2. Buyer pays seller.

Cut and paste this on every one of these type threads.

• Like 2