Long guns or handguns?

The difference is if you have a NJ FPID you could drive all over NJ with a long gun unloaded.  Not sure what PA law says on this.  Handguns require no unreasonable deviation. 

If you transport the way you say no problem with either.  You are doing more than NJ requires.

I see no problems.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:47 PM, GRIZ said:

Long guns or handguns?

The difference is if you have a NJ FPID you could drive all over NJ with a long gun unloaded.  Not sure what PA law says on this.  Handguns require no unreasonable deviation. 

If you transport the way you say no problem with either.  You are doing more than NJ requires.

I see no problems.

ee

3 minutes ago, WJSM5 said:

Ok got it. Thanks. Upon reading https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/transporting-firearms_guide.pdf it seems that you can pick up/drop off people, get gas, buy food or drinks, get medication or use a bathroom all while transporting a handgun even though reasonable deviation applies correct? 

Essentially, YES.  Keep in mind what you linked to is only a GUIDE.  NOT a legal document.  Rest assured though:  Neither GRIZ or I have ever seen proof that someone got jammed-up for deviation :) 

• Like 2

On 10/25/2018 at 4:00 PM, Smokin .50 said:

Essentially, YES.  Keep in mind what you linked to is only a GUIDE.  NOT a legal document.  Rest assured though:  Neither GRIZ or I have ever seen proof that someone got jammed-up for deviation :) 

ee

Just now, WJSM5 said:

Interesting, some clerk at Dicks in PA said that he heard of a guy getting arrested for stopping at Wawa on the way home from the range. Guess he was just trying to BS me, or maybe the guy was transporting wrong. 

There's a LOT of "Experts" out there making close to minimum wage.  Take care, follow FOPA & you'll be fine!  :) 

1 hour ago, WJSM5 said:

Interesting, some clerk at Dicks in PA said that he heard of a guy getting arrested for stopping at Wawa on the way home from the range. Guess he was just trying to BS me, or maybe the guy was transporting wrong. 

A lot of these stories but no one has shown me any proof of anyone getting arrested for "unreasonable deviation".  I've been shooting about 50 years.

• Like 1

Treat hollow points like handguns - don't go driving around with them all day.  No unreasonable deviations.  Even if you don't have a gun to shoot them with.  Even .22s.  Yes, NJ is that stupid.  No, we don't believe it either.  And yes, hollow points are legal to own and shoot in exempted locations (home, range, store, and between the three).

On 10/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, Malice4you said:

Treat hollow points like handguns - don't go driving around with them all day.  No unreasonable deviations.  Even if you don't have a gun to shoot them with.  Even .22s.  Yes, NJ is that stupid.  No, we don't believe it either.  And yes, hollow points are legal to own and shoot in exempted locations (home, range, store, and between the three).

ee

18 hours ago, SJG said:

Interstate you are covered under FOPA(federal law) and the manner you describe moving your firearms intrastate in NJ is compliant with NJ State Law

This is incorrect. FOPA protects you transiting a state. You are bound by the laws of the origin and destination state while in them. 

For PA and NJ FOPA happens to go beyond the letter of the law so isn't a bad guideline, but this is how things like people haivng to stay overnight for missing a connecting flight in NJ results in stupid shit. 

But from your residence in PA, as long as the firearm is legal in NJ, you should be able to transport to a permitted place such as another residence, a business you own, and a range.