Sign in to follow this  
BM59

1903a3 windage

So yesterday I took out to Cherry Ridge a 1903a3 I purchased a while ago to sight it in. I had to move the rear sight all the way to the right before I could get POA/POI aligned. I wonder what could be off? Is there a good gunsmith for those in Northern NJ/ Morris county? Thanks!  

Is the rear sight base centered is the receiver?  This is the most common way the issue you described occurs.  I've seen this issue with 03A3s and M1 carbines and it can happen with any rifle where the rear sight is dovetailed into the receiver.

If this is the case moving the sight base to the centerline of the receiver will correct it.  Of course you'll need to rezero. 

Or you can just leave it as is if it's zeroed.

3 hours ago, BM59 said:

It looks like the rear sight base is exactly where it should be. I am thinking to leave it as is, but any advice on good C&R gunsmith in NJ is welcome.3c4ea94828787987a7c133535bf32740.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Looks to me from the photo the sight base is not centered despite the witness marks.  See how much hangs off the left side of the receiver compared to the right.  Looks odd to me. I'll look at mine and let you know later.

A quick Google on 03A3 sight installation reveals several caveats you need to be aware of if you decide to do it yourself.

Thanks - check yours, that is the correct position. I googled it and found a few threads on CMP forum on the subject. It is off the left of the receiver but it is dead center on the bolt channel (and therefore the barrel).  I have no clue why it needs so much windage -bore is excellent and the rifle is in great overall condition. 

What's funny is that brought other three rifles with me on Thursday, and all of them had sighting issues. I had a K98 with a S&K scope mount which is out of spec (the POI is 23" lower than POA!) ; I knew about this and I just had to shoot a 3 shot group to measure the difference before sending the mount back to the factory for adjustment. Thereafter I shot an AMD-65; this is one of the CAI builds which originally came with a 16" US made barrel, which I had Tieronedefense cut down to 14" to look closer to the original (measuring the legal 16" with pinned brake). Apparently the barrel of this one is curved, and while it shot straight with the 16" barrel, it started shooting to the right after cutting it. I had to move the front sight all to the left to get on bullseye.  Then was the turn of a CAI-Imbel L1A1; this one too required all the rear sight windage on one side, and it still shot three inches off center. This is a typical issue with barrel timing of a FAL, and I shipped the rifle this morning to a good FAL gunsmith to get to fixed. Finally, the 03A3, which I still do not understand why it does not shoot straight.  What a frustrating day....