JMich3

Red dot magnifier

I am new to the AR platform and recently put a Sig Romeo 5 red dot on my AR. I really like the sight but I’m thinking of adding a flip up magnifier for shots a little longer. My AR is primarily a range / plunking platform so I’m not looking to make 500 yard shots or break the bank. I saw a magnifier for 100 bucks, is it worth spending the money on or should i just look for a second scope to swap in and out with the red dot?

Not worth it.

You are looking for a hardware solution as a quick fix for a software problem. That rarely works.

Yes, a magnifier will help you see better, but it will not help you shoot better. You’ll just see your missed shot a little more clearly.

Plus, you get what you pay for. I can’t imagine a $100 magnified having decent glass.

The Romeo 5 is a decent optic. I recommend you spend more money on ammo and training instead of a magnifier and learn to master the RDS.

You will find you are faster and equally as accurate from 0-200 yards with just the dot as you are with a dot and a flip up magnifier.

• Like 3

I have an Aimpoint 3x magnifier. To be perfectly honest, I use it more for getting a better zero than anything else (on all three of the Aimpoint red dots I have on my rifles). As High Exposure said, the red dot can do a lot from 0 to 200 yards by itself (judging 5.56mm; my .45 AR... not so much). Run a 50 yard zero, and your bullet impact will be within 2” or 3” high/low for that entire range. Knowing the trajectory is key.

At $100... your guess is as good as ours. I’d lean slightly towards it not being worth it. A good source of info is Amazon reviews, if said magnifier is on there. There are certain brands that are predominantly marketed to airsoft. Recoil might do most of those in within short order. Spending $100 on something that doesn’t last isn’t as good as $250+ on something that does.

There are affordable options out there, but best to do research into them prior to wasting money.

Saw the end right after I posted... I’m not a fan of swapping optics on the same rifle. I rather have a rifle with a red dot, then one with a lower powered optic. Really, that is what I did already. Furthest I’d go, two uppers with different sight options... hell, did that too (my Spikes .22 upper).

5 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Not worth it.

You are looking for a hardware solution as a quick fix for a software problem. That rarely works.

Yes, a magnifier will help you see better, but it will not help you shoot better. You’ll just see your missed shot a little more clearly.

Plus, you get what you pay for. I can’t imagine a $100 magnified having decent glass.

The Romeo 5 is a decent optic. I recommend you spend more money on ammo and training instead of a magnifier and learn to master the RDS.

You will find you are faster and equally as accurate from 0-200 yards with just the dot as you are with a dot and a flip up magnifier.

Listen to this man. 

Been there, done that. Eotech with flip to side magnifier. Hated it, sold them for tons of money to someone who could appreciate them, and ended up going with cheaper sights for them. Those two sights paid for a new rifle.. lol
My personal favorite is my ACOG's but thats big bucks. Plenty of stuff out there though with low magnification that'll get the job done for a fraction of the price. All of my AR's have some sorta magnification on them other than my 22lr AR (S&W MP15-22), which as a RDS on it, and i only shoot within 50 yards or so with that. I Shoot at steel @ 200 yards with them. 

5 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Not worth it.

I can shoot nice tight groups at the range with just the Romeo5 so it’s not that I’m trying to over compensate with an optic. I was just trying to extend the accurate range of my set up. I guess like everything else in life, there’s no one tool for all situations. I’ll keep this set up as is for a while. If i decide i want to shoot longer range I’ll just have to go to a magnified optic. Who knows maybe a second AR set up with a scope at some point. Thanks guys

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

I can shoot nice tight groups at the range with just the Romeo5 so it’s not that I’m trying to over compensate with an optic. I was just trying to extend the accurate range of my set up. I guess like everything else in life, there’s no one tool for all situations. I’ll keep this set up as is for a while. If i decide i want to shoot longer range I’ll just have to go to a magnified optic. Who knows maybe a second AR set up with a scope at some point. Thanks guys

I cringe every time someone says 2nd or 3rd ar... it makes them so common use.

current trends. 1x6 or rds. Some aren’t going buis. 

I cringe every time someone says 2nd or 3rd ar... it makes them so common use.
current trends. 1x6 or rds. Some aren’t going buis.

I got three and a half...

Piston 5.56mm (red dot), D/I .45 (red dot), D/I 5.56mm (1.5-6x, 18” in FDE), and then the lower sitting in PA with the Fostech Echo II trigger. Can’t wait to move and build that last one. Probably 20”, with rifle stock.

At least have a .308 up my sleeve when I’m out, as well.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I got three and a half...

Piston 5.56mm (red dot), D/I .45 (red dot), D/I 5.56mm (1.5-6x, 18” in FDE), and then the lower sitting in PA with the Fostech Echo II trigger. Can’t wait to move and build that last one. Probably 20”, with rifle stock.

At least have a .308 up my sleeve when I’m out, as well.

These are so common they aren’t exotic! Hell I bet more AR’s are in use then black powder @Smokin .50

Most of the Primary arms stuff, especially the 3x magnifier is rated pretty well.  I have a 3x eotech magnifier that I've been running for years.  I usually just use the rds but occasionally I do like to flip the magnifier up at greater distances.  YMMV

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zeke said:

These are so common they aren’t exotic! Hell I bet more AR’s are in use then black powder @Smokin .50

Most certainly!  Even I own one.  A Bushmaster in 5.56?  My brother gave it to me as a gift when I bought him a Leica M6 Rangefinder camera.  Came complete with an Eotek worth over $500 just for the dot.

A Shootist can operate any platform & not look stupid doin' it.  Pourin' EXPLOSIVES down the muzzle or slappin' a Garand's Op Rod or performing a Tap, Rack, Bang drill on Tupperware or an AR.  All "Common Use" to me :) 

• Like 1