Munster25

Non Mutilated AK Barreled Receiver Legal?

I hope I'm posting in the correct location.  I'm looking to buy a Romanian AK barreled receiver through Atlantic Firearms. This has no furniture or trigger installed. The muzzle is not pinned and the bayonet lug is not filed down. Would this be ok to purchase and have sent to my FFL since there is no pistol grip on the rifle or does it not even matter since it can accept detachable magazines and has the 2 other evil features? I'd of course get the muzzle device pinned and bayonet lug taken care of after I receive it and touch anything else on the rifle. Thanks in advance for any answers. 

Here is a link to what I'm looking to buy: https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/aam-romanian-barreled-receiver

2 hours ago, Redlines said:

It says Ak 47 , banned by name it is on the list.

Where does it say that? No pictures are posted of that area of the receiver that I can see. 

You can call Atlantic though and ask. I have before and they're usually good about it. Or they'll email you a picture.

Other than that, it will be good to go to your FFL. You stated that you plan to do the work AFTER you take it home. Your FFL won't let you leave without that gun being NJ compliant. Even though it has no furniture, it's still a barreled receiver so it is technically a firearm. So bayo lug shaved and brake or some muzzle device pinned or welded.

Yeah this isn't technically an ak47. would just be considered a variant. 

5 minutes ago, RecessedFilter said:

Where does it say that? No pictures are posted of that area of the receiver that I can see. 

You can call Atlantic though and ask. I have before and they're usually good about it. Or they'll email you a picture.

Other than that, it will be good to go to your FFL. You stated that you plan to do the work AFTER you take it home. Your FFL won't let you leave without that gun being NJ compliant. Even though it has no furniture, it's still a barreled receiver so it is technically a firearm. So bayo lug shaved and brake or some muzzle device pinned or welded.

Thanks for the info! There is no way of doing the pinning and bayonet lug shaving yourself it sounds. It seemed like a good deal, but I guess having to pay someone to do the work instead of myself I might as well stick to building or buying the completed =(. Thought I could save a few bucks and be lazy haha. Thanks again for the info. 

1. A non-barreled receiver is a still a receiver, ie firearm. It needs to have a lock, stock, and barrel to be considered a rifle. 

2. The NJ Assault Weapon Ban applies to Shotguns, Rifles, and Handguns.

3. If the end user assembles the receiver into a rifle, it can not be a "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearm". 

1 hour ago, Munster25 said:

Yeah this isn't technically an ak47. would just be considered a variant. 

Thanks for the info! There is no way of doing the pinning and bayonet lug shaving yourself it sounds. It seemed like a good deal, but I guess having to pay someone to do the work instead of myself I might as well stick to building or buying the completed =(. Thought I could save a few bucks and be lazy haha. Thanks again for the info. 

Sure! So since AR uppers are not considered firearms, that's how they can be shipped directly to you and how most ppl do the compliance work themselves. But it doesn't really work like that for AKM's unless you want to buy a kit that has the barrel already populated and you complete compliance work then rivet receiver and finish build. 

But you said you build so I'm not sure why you'd wanna buy a barreled receiver when you can build it instead..

the difference between AR uppers & AK's is in the serial number

AR uppers are not serial numbered, and therefore can be shipped directly to a person in NJ

AK frames are serial numbered and I don't think you will find an FFL that will transfer the parts without doing the nesessary compliance work before turning it over to you. If the barrel is attached to the frame it is an assault weapon in NJ, If it's just parts, it still gives you the parts to build an assault weapon which is also against the law...........

2 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

But you said you build so I'm not sure why you'd wanna buy a barreled receiver when you can build it instead..

Building 2 at the moment and honestly just being lazy haha. Seemed like a good deal too since I already have the furniture and trigger for it. 

Thanks again. Won't be ordering it. Now I know for the future. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Munster25 said:

Building 2 at the moment and honestly just being lazy haha. Seemed like a good deal too since I already have the furniture and trigger for it. 

Thanks again. Won't be ordering it. Now I know for the future. Thanks!

When you really think about it, it's actually a decent deal. A typical Romy parts kit will run you around $350 right now, plus a receiver and barrel depending on if you get one included or separately. Probably past that $489 now. Then time to build, press, and populate which is your own time.

Of course if YOU build it all, you can build it to your specs and not some one else's.

AR uppers are not serial numbers, and therefore can be shipped directly to a person in NJ

AK framss are serial numbered and I don't think you will find an FFL that will transfer the parts doing the nesessary compliance work before turning it over to you. If the barrel is attached to the frame it is an assault weapon in NJ, If it's just parts, it still gives you the parts to build an assault weapon which is also against the law...........

Huh?

AK Receivers are the same as AR Lowers. Why would you compare them to uppers?

The answer is have the barreled receiver transferred to FFL and have them filed off bayonet lug and pin and weld the brake. Since it is a barreled receiver it must be transferred through a FFL in every state.

Otherwise buy a parts kit without a receiver and have it shipped to you directly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

Huh?

AK Receivers are the same as AR Lowers. Why would you compare them to uppers?

The answer is have the barreled receiver transferred to FFL and have them filed off bayonet lug.

Otherwise buy a parts kit without a receiver and have it shipped to you directly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't say anything about the AR lowers

I was replying to another remark..............

Ok. Just seems things get complicated for no reason with AK type rifles. AK frame or AR lower are both the receiver and both serial numbered and both treated as firearms. AR Upper and AK barrel and other AK parts are the same and can both be shipped to your door if not attached to or with the receiver.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Ok. Just seems things get complicated for no reason with AK type rifles. AK frame or AR lower are both the receiver and both serial numbered and both treated as firearms. AR Upper and AK barrel and other AK parts are the same and can both be shipped to your door if not attached to the receiver.

I'm well aware of the rules........

16 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

AR uppers are not serial numbers, and therefore can be shipped directly to a person in NJ

AK frames are serial numbered and I don't think you will find an FFL that will transfer the parts without doing the nesessary compliance work before turning it over to you. If the barrel is attached to the frame it is an assault weapon in NJ, If it's just parts, it still gives you the parts to build an assault weapon which is also against the law...........

Your wording is very confusing. AR uppers are not serial numbers? AK frames? Parts kits are illegal? 

Have you been drinking?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RecessedFilter said:

Your wording is very confusing. AR uppers are not serial numbers? AK frames? Parts kits are illegal? 

Have you been drinking?

That was a typo - Ar uppers are not serial numbered (i fixed that)

AK frames referred to the barreled frame the OP was referring to. an FFL would need to do the compliance work before completing the transfer.

A dealer would not transfer a parts kit (such as a threaded barrel w/ bayonet lug) if it came in the same box as the frame (again, unless the dealer did the compliance work....... 

Have you been drinking?
That was my point too. Easier to use the word receiver. Frame is more of a term for handguns. Keeps everything more clear. Even AR upper and Lower can cause confusion. Lower has the receiver. However with a FAL upper has the receiver.

26 minutes ago, capt14k said:

That was my point too. Easier to use the word receiver. Frame is more of a term for handguns. Keeps everything more clear. Even AR upper and Lower can cause confusion. Lower has the receiver. However with a FAL upper has the receiver.

I've always used lower and upper receiver, with "serialized" added in depending on what part is actually the "firearm." Along with the FAL, I know the Sig 556 and I think G3's have serialized upper receivers also.