Sniper

S2465 Passed Assembly Today

SYNOPSIS

Establishes crimes of purchasing firearm parts to unlawfully manufacture firearms without a serial number, manufacturing or possessing covert or undetectable firearms, and manufacturing or facilitating the manufacture of firearms using a three-dimensional printer.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/S2500/2465_R3.HTM

...." This bill establishes a criminal penalty of purchasing firearm parts to illegally manufacture an untraceable firearm, also known as a "ghost gun." Under current law, a person who manufactures a handgun, rifle, or shotgun without being licensed to do so is guilty of a fourth degree crime. The manufacture of a machine gun, sawed off shotgun, or assault firearm is a crime of the third degree. This bill establishes a separate third degree crime of purchasing separately or as a kit any combination of parts from which an untraceable firearm may be readily assembled. The bill defines untraceable firearm as an unlawfully manufactured firearm for which the sale or distribution chain from a licensed retailer to the point of its first retail sale cannot be traced by law enforcement officials. A violation of the bill's provisions is not to merge with any other criminal conviction and a court is to impose separate sentences for a violation of the bill's provisions and any other criminal offense. A crime of the third degree is punishable by a three-to-five year term of incarceration, a fine of up to $15,000, or both.

Last Action:
Passed by the Assembly (68-5-3)  (on 10/29/2018)

WOW....If the Senate passes this bill, millions of ghost guns will never be built!

Seriously, Has anyone here EVER heard of a ghost gun being used in a shooting! ANY shooting EVER? They continue to try to solve a problem that does not exist!:mad:

• Like 1

It's not about solving problems.  It's primarily about getting votes.  If they can convince the voters in their district that "ghost guns" are a scary thing, it might get some votes.

It's also about simple, raw, hatred for gun owners.  Logic and facts can not stand up against illogical fear.

• Like 7

After all the bs about 3d printed guns, I was reading articles about ways of making lowers, including epoxy (?) lowers made from molds of your existing lower, bolt-together aluminum lowers, lowers made from melted aluminum cans or brass and then machined, etc etc.

This law might make most sellers reluctant to ship 80% lowers or frames to NJ, but will do nothing to stop anyone with a little bit of skill from making their own. And thanks to the internet, most of us are easily able to get in touch with friends or family out of state who will gladly buy and ship/hold things for us.

If anything, it makes me want to learn how to use a CNC machine more now than I did before...

• Like 1

Hurry up and buy your 80% frames before this gets passed into law.
Making has been unlawful. Possession will now be also. No grandfathering.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

The line that says " This bill establishes a separate third degree crime of purchasing separately or as a kit any combination of parts from which an untraceable firearm may be readily assembled." Kinda worries me.

So I have a LPK a spare grip,and a stock kit. Couldn't an over zealous DA say all I need is the 80%lower to build an untraceable AW? I can see that happening in this state. Maybe not  today or tomorrow...Then we won't be able to purchase any parts for any firearm as they could be used to build an untraceable firearm. Only FFLs would be allowed to replace parts. I see this as a foot in the door to control everything we can do with our guns. I know I'm being a bit paranoid, but I live in NJ. 

9 hours ago, Malice4you said:

If anything, it makes me want to learn how to use a CNC machine more now than I did before...

80's can be done with a drill press or a wood working router.  CNC is a luxury, not a necessity.  

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Buy now and go to PA to finish/manufacture.  Bring back as completed firearm.   The finished firearm frame won’t be illegal.

As the completed firearm still has no serial number, isn't that still a ghost gun? Won't those be illegal as well, regardless of who or where built?

As the completed firearm still has no serial number, isn't that still a ghost gun? Won't those be illegal as well, regardless of who or where built?
Engrave your own serial number

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

The line that says " This bill establishes a separate third degree crime of purchasing separately or as a kit any combination of parts from which an untraceable firearm may be readily assembled." Kinda worries me.

So I have a LPK a spare grip,and a stock kit. Couldn't an over zealous DA say all I need is the 80%lower to build an untraceable AW? I can see that happening in this state. Maybe not  today or tomorrow...Then we won't be able to purchase any parts for any firearm as they could be used to build an untraceable firearm. Only FFLs would be allowed to replace parts. I see this as a foot in the door to control everything we can do with our guns. I know I'm being a bit paranoid, but I live in NJ. 

This does make it sound like the purchase of spare, replacement or repair parts is now illegal.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fred2 said:

This does make it sound like the purchase of spare, replacement or repair parts is now illegal.

I don't think so--as long as the kit or combination of parts doesn't include a receiver there is no way you can assemble a firearm.

If they can show you are already in possession of what the state considers an 'untraceable' receiver then they could say it shows constructive intent if you are buying parts to fit it, but otherwise it should be fine.

This bill establishes a separate third degree crime of purchasing separately or as a kit any combination of parts from which an untraceable firearm may be readily assembled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bully said:

80's can be done with a drill press or a wood working router.  CNC is a luxury, not a necessity.  

I was thinking more of a 0% lower would need a cnc machine.... don't think they can ever do much to stop blocks of aluminum from entering the state...

2 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I was thinking more of a 0% lower would need a cnc machine.... don't think they can ever do much to stop blocks of aluminum from entering the state...

Anything a CNC can do a person with time and a file can do. 

CNC is fast and accurate for commercial production. 

In those beer can/brass vids, he uses a manual milling machine. No CNC necessary. 

Modern Military  stuff is designed to be easily produced so it can be easily reproduced. As much as possible. 

8 hours ago, Malice4you said:

...don't think they can ever do much to stop blocks of aluminum from entering the state...

Or getting elected to public office...

AFAIK, 

The serial number must be registered with an FFL if you were to own an 80%. The wording of the law does speak specifically to items which still need to be manufactured/assembled. This should mean that any completed firearms are not effected.

So you cant own an 80% lower, unless registered with an FFL, but you can own a manufactured receiver, so long as you manufactured it outside of NJ. 

Solution... buy outside of NJ, manufacture out side of NJ, return to NJ. 

At least thats how i read it.