Sign in to follow this  
KMA4626

Riding a motorcycle to the range

Hey just wondering if it's at all possible to legally ride my motorcycle to the shooting range with a pistol. Would it be legal to put it in a backpack and lock it? Or would I be able to lock it in a saddle bag? Just wondering because my coworkers (all pa guys) are planning on riding to one of their houses for a shoot on one of the few remaining nice days this year and i am the only one who lives in nj so none of them know whether or not i can do so legally. Unfortunately nobody lives anywhere near me so they can't pick it up and I don't want to risk my job by bringing it to work for someone to take either. 

I did so many times when I used to live in NJ.  If its unloaded and locked in the trunk you comply with NJ laws. If trunk is not lockable you could put it in the saddlebag providing you have the  gun in a locked box. And don't volunteer any info to the cops. It is not required. If you do they'll find something wrong as they dont like civilians with guns.

Stupid NJ. Now when I ride to a range I concealed carry even though I could open carry.

Hre are some of my motorcycle travels

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/619793-trip-far-away.html

I have done this on bicycle many times.

No need to lock anything (2C:39-6 et seq)

• g.  Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The only mention of locking there is if it is in the trunk (which obviates the need for a closed and fastened case so you could throw them in loose), otherwise you could carry transport your Glock in its original case in plain view on the passenger seat next to you.  I would argue that a gun in a ziplock bag would fulfill this requirement.  I would not recommend that for obvious reasons, but it seems to satisfy as a closed and fastened case (doesn't say it has to be an opaque and rigid case).  Surely a transparent Glock case would work too.

Now, the NJSP website will add that "The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console." and they refer you to statute 2C:39-6g (https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml).  However, I have been unable to locate such language in the actual statue.  Which is sad, because the SP probably believes the website guidelines are based on law, and guess what happens if you are stopped, legally transporting, but the LEO thinks you are in violation?  In my experience at traffic stops, I have never heard an officer say "Oh yes, I was wrong on that point of the law, thank you for correcting me."

In practice, I have only done this with handguns, in their original cases, inside a plastic bag and placed inside saddlebags.  Magazines loaded, but not placed in the firearm.  No locks.

Not sure how I'd do a long gun, probably use a longtail like you would use for a surfboard and just load the gun cases on that.

And just to be clear:  I recommend transporting in the trunk, or (if on bicycle or on foot) securely stowed in a package or case (or two or three, out of site.  And if stopped, do not say anything about transporting, or that you are going to a gun range or volunteer any unecessary info

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, leahcim said:

...Now, the NJSP website will add that "The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console." and they refer you to statute 2C:39-6g (https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml).  However, I have been unable to locate such language in the actual statue.  Which is sad, because the SP probably believes the website guidelines are based on law, and guess what happens if you are stopped, legally transporting, but the LEO thinks you are in violation? 

I believe the NJSP is improperly combining NJ's transport law with federal FOPA, which does not apply if you're traveling within NJ.  I am sure they are doing this intentionally to mislead people about NJ's laws to keep people from transporting within the passenger compartment.  The real problem is that county and local LEOS rely on the guidance from NJSP and will likely arrest you for transporting legally.

In the old days (when the transport laws were the same as they are today), gun shops would wrap handguns in butchers paper tied with string for the ride home. it met the "securely tied package" standard.  I've transported more than one handgun home from the gun shop on the floor of my truck wrapped like a rump roast.

• Like 1

And that's the problem.  You might ultimately win in court (ask Brian Aitken how that went) but it'll cost a lot and in Aitken's case included jail time even though he was ultimately acquitted on all but one count.

Better to stay far from the edge in this case

• Like 1

Good Good point leahcim.

It looks like these  laws were written by idiots. Even Us 18 926A i doesn't sound right. One time it says gun cannot be in reach of the passenger compartment. so theoretically it can be under the driver seat, unloaded, and next time it says that if the car does not have a lockable trunk the gun has to be in a locked box.

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)