myhatinthering

Howa Rifles

I have heard them likened to an updated Remington 700.

I love mine...

t7zsp3.jpg

200 yards with one called flyer (with Fed 168 gr GMM)

fkadfc.jpg

I think they are one of the best values out there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the Howa 1500.

I built a bolt rifle with a 1500 action in .308 and I'm extremely happy with how it came out.

Z4rAI2Ql.jpg

It's my first bolt gun and I regularly get sub MOA groups at 100 yards and MOA groups at 200 - 300 yards (would be sub MOA all the time if I was more patient).  Here's a target from about an hour ago.  I was testing powder loads to see which one I should use when I run out of factory ammo:

IlDXG9Sl.jpg

I have a 6.5 Creeedmoor Howa action with a 26″ Heavy Threaded barrel in an American Built Arms Chassis.

The HACT trigger is much better than i though it would be and the action is smoother than a Rem 700 out of the box. It is the same action and barrel as a Weatherby Vanguard. The rifle is quite heavy even with the light chassis system, but the gun is very stable from a rest and does not beat you up.

The other nice thing is that there are lots of aftermarket parts including stocks, rails, chassis, triggers etc. Not as many as the Rem, but still a good amount.

4 minutes ago, Greg said:

I have a 6.5 Creeedmoor Howa action with a 26″ Heavy Threaded barrel in an American Built Arms Chassis.

The HACT trigger is much better than i though it would be and the action is smoother than a Rem 700 out of the box. It is the same action and barrel as a Weatherby Vanguard. The rifle is quite heavy even with the light chassis system, but the gun is very stable from a rest and does not beat you up.

The other nice thing is that there are lots of aftermarket parts including stocks, rails, chassis, triggers etc. Not as many as the Rem, but still a good amount.

I'm looking at the 308 in this chassis now.  good to know, thanks

I'm kicking myself that I don't buy a second action from Brownell's when they were on sale for $230.  I was very close to pulling the trigger on one in .223 (for the kids) or .300 Winmag (for me) and keeping it in the safe for a rainy day project.

You guys are killing me.  Just when I think i'm settled on the REM 700 action, you guys start my brain running again on the HOWA.

To bad I learned that my contract will not be renewed in the new year.  So i gotta keep the pennies in the jar a bit longer now.

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

I'm kicking myself that I don't buy a second action from Brownell's when they were on sale for $230.  I was very close to pulling the trigger on one in .223 (for the kids) or .300 Winmag (for me) and keeping it in the safe for a rainy day project.

where where are these deals? I've not seen those

1 hour ago, myhatinthering said:

where where are these deals? I've not seen those

Not sure if it was an overstock thing or seasonal, but Brownell's had the 1500 actions on sale for a while. 

Maybe they'll do it again around Black Friday or Christmas.  I'll definitely be checking their site...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Not sure if it was an overstock thing or seasonal, but Brownell's had the 1500 actions on sale for a while. 

Maybe they'll do it again around Black Friday or Christmas.  I'll definitely be checking their site...

if you see one, let me know please