mustang69

Question for the motorcycle riders in the forum

OK all,

With my move to NH i'm looking to get back into riding.  I've been doing a ridiculous amount of research into what I might like to get and think I've narrowed it down to two bikes:  BMW R1200RT or a Honda ST1300.  I looked at the Yamaha FJR and Ducati Multistrada too and ruled them out for various reasons.

I like the upright sport-touring riding position.  The bike will get used on weekends for casual trips for me, with my wife on the back half the time.  I don't expect to be canyon-carving or racing, and my back would revolt if I bought a sport bike anyway.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on these bikes?  Anything else you can suggest I look at?

Thanks,

Dean

You can get some great deals on used st1300's, They are heavy but I found mine to be the most reliable thing I have ever ridden. My brother rides his 1200 bmw when it isnt at the dealer or waiting for a part to come in... I have put 70,000 miles on the honda and it has never broken.

Know nuttin about ST1300's specifically (tho I did know one guy who had one & loved it), but I have had three Hondas - a CM400, a CB750 Nighthawk, and a 1100 Gold Wing. 

All I can say is Hondas are amazing bikes...they don't have the "glamor" of a Harley, but they are exceptionally well designed & engineered and will run and run and run and run and run......

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, W2MC said:

All I can say is Hondas are amazing bikes...they don't have the "glamor" of a Harley, but they are exceptionally well designed & engineered and will run and run and run and run and run......

Pretty much..LOL And I have a Harley!

I have 2 friends that ride or road the ST platform. Both loved them. Good for a weekend length ride. Not as much room to pack as a Goldwing or an Ultra Glide. And non of the amenities like a radio or heat and air conditioning (kidding about the AC) With 160+ HP and a huge gas tank  you can pretty much fill up Friday nite and still have gas to get to work on Monday.

Lottsa great roads up there. Ride safe!

Thanks - I've only ever had Honda bikes before - CB750 K1, CB750 Nighthawk and VF750S Sabre.  All ran great and lasted forever.

Some good deals on the ST1300's up here and they seem to have mileage all over the place - some over 100k.  the only complaint I've read about them is some heat hitting the rider in the crotch and legs.  It seems to affect some bikes and not others.  Other than that they seem to be pretty bulletproof.  The v4 is smooth - like 100 year old scotch smooth.  A torque "curve" that looks like the Kansas landscape (meaning, flat as hell).

The BMW has about the same riding position but is about 100 pounds lighter and more technically advanced - ABS, Electronic Suspension, paralever suspension, etc - but also $1500-$2000 more for comparable year and mileage.  A buddy has several similar BMWs and loves them.  The boxer twin has that unique sound.

I'm looking at both bikes this weekend.   

"technically advanced" means more stuff to go wrong, for me anyway. LOL Consider also dealer availability. We do a lot of cross country riding and so with that comes riding off the well traveled highways. If you brake down, where's the nearest dealer? Honda and Harley are all over. BMW...not so much. Just something to think about if you start thinking about any real road trips

2 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

"technically advanced" means more stuff to go wrong, for me anyway. LOL Consider also dealer availability. We do a lot of cross country riding and so with that comes riding off the well traveled highways. If you brake down, where's the nearest dealer? Honda and Harley are all over. BMW...not so much. Just something to think about if you start thinking about any real road trips

I ride a ‘00 883.  It has a spedo and tach and that’s all of its features.  And it is carbourated.  Not much to go wrong and I’m happier for it.  I can fix almost anything that would go wrong on the side of the road.

Both our cars are BMW's, so it gets a consideration just to stay in the family.  No test required at the dealer - I got lifetime membership at birth. :)

Whatever bike I get next will have fuel injection - both the ST1300 and R1200RT have it.  I get the simplicity of a carb but with the fuels today and with how much I'll realistically ride I'd probably be rebuilding them every year.  And the carbs on a harley are much simpler than the carbs on a Honda in-line 4 or v4.  I also like the idea of ABS - not demanding technology but won't turn my nose up at it either.  

52 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

Both our cars are BMW's, so it gets a consideration just to stay in the family.  No test required at the dealer - I got lifetime membership at birth. :)

Whatever bike I get next will have fuel injection - both the ST1300 and R1200RT have it.  I get the simplicity of a carb but with the fuels today and with how much I'll realistically ride I'd probably be rebuilding them every year.  And the carbs on a harley are much simpler than the carbs on a Honda in-line 4 or v4.  I also like the idea of ABS - not demanding technology but won't turn my nose up at it either.  

I’m at a disadvantage here... but the Honda was always a reliable ( sti 1300-1100) dog. Why not the fjr? They set the bar high years ago.

My friends that ride street, something is up lately with gremlins and beemers. 

Honda street, clean oil, clean air and your great grandkids will ride it! Off road, not soo much

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance? Lol

55 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Why not the fjr? They set the bar high years ago.l

I ruled out the FJR for 2 reasons - the whole idea of the automatic clutch just turns me off.  That and the widespread reports of excessive heat on the rider from the fairing meant it got crossed off the list.

And, I haven't been able to find one within a reasonable drive to look at and test the seating position.

10 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

I ruled out the FJR for 2 reasons - the whole idea of the automatic clutch just turns me off.  That and the widespread reports of excessive heat on the rider from the fairing meant it got crossed off the list.

And, I haven't been able to find one within a reasonable drive to look at and test the seating position.

Gotcha.  we ride the bike, not sit on it. 

To me, a bike is an emotional thing so get what your heart wants.  I love my Honda cars for their reliability (242K miles and going strong).  But my weekend ride is a Ducati or BMW.  Japanese bikes are well built machines but I like the hint of imperfection in a Duc or older BMW and their aesthetics. 

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

NH sounds like it could offer a bunch or dual sporting opportunities. Have you considered a KTM?

Something like a 1090 ADVENTURE R??

Yup there is thousands of miles of ORV trails up here. I want to get a dual sport eventually. 

On 11/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, MikeL417 said:

Go test ride a Kawi Concours 14. I think you'll get hooked.

I looked at an '09 Concours (ZG1400) today.  An amazing bike.  Need to sleep on it.  Was tempted to buy it on the spot but I told myself I wouldn't do that.  Was cheap since it needs a left saddle bag and a front TPMS sensor.  Both are easy fixes.  Other than that the bike was immaculate with 33,000 miles.  What a beast!

Any trouble areas that you know of?