Hi guys,

I plan to do some downsizing of my rifles and pistols. There are just some I never use. I don't feel comfortable doing a FTF with a stranger in my home, so I think I'll sell online and ship through my FFL. I've read a few "tips" threads, but have a few questions that I didn't see answered...

1) For rifles with scopes, is it easier to sell them together (scope mounted and zeroed) or pull off the scope and sell that separately? One advantage of that is that I can ship each in the original boxes. Also there might be a bigger market for the scope than the rifle and it might sell easier.

2) Can I include leftover ammo in the sale? I already have some orphan ammo that is taking up space, and I don't need more.

3) Seems like postal money orders are the best way to go for payment, is that right?

Thanks!

Selling rifle and scope together will sell the "package" faster, but you won't get as much as if you sold them separately.  It also depends on the scope.  If it's a $200 Bushnell, sell it as a package, if it's a $1,200.00 Leupold, you will probably do better if you sell it separately because they hold their value better.

If you want to "throw in" ammo, to sweeten the deal, you can do that but has to be shipped separately, and that will cut into the bottom line.  You may be better off selling the ammo here in the Marketplace.

Payment depends on how the transaction goes down.  If you start shipping through FFLs that will drive up your costs even further.  If you have a good relationship with a nearby LGS, you may want to do the transaction there, in which case, I'd say cash only. 

The new law will drive up the cost of the transaction by $35 to $60 on average, so you need to factor that into your pricing so that the buyer pays those costs and you don't loose money on the sale.

Lastly, since you're a member here, why not put up the whole kit and caboodle in the Marketplace.  You are already a premier member.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I didn't realize the new law went into effect on the private sales. That takes care of that. A FTF at my FFL would be fine and I could keep the scopes mounted and not have to worry about shipping. Just bring along the empty boxes.

OK, I guess I'll take some photos this weekend and put up an add or two on the WTS Forum. 

Thanks!

• Like 3

Thanks all. I didn't realize the new law went into effect on the private sales. That takes care of that. A FTF at my FFL would be fine and I could keep the scopes mounted and not have to worry about shipping. Just bring along the empty boxes.
OK, I guess I'll take some photos this weekend and put up an add or two on the WTS Forum. 
Thanks!

What state do you live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FTF was always the easiest option in terms of selling but now that we must got through an FFL, GunBroker/online may be an easier option IMO. Take good pics of gun, make an ad, receive payment, box it up and ship. It couldn't be any easier.

I'd still try selling them here on the marketplace first.

But I do think Murphy and the dem's will get what they wanted with this new law - a high percentage of gun owners no longer selling and buying between each other.

I was able to sell one rifle here (thanks), but not getting much interest in the others, so I'm off to GB/GA. 

I'm thinking for online sales, putting the gun back to it's factory config might be best. For one, it'll let me price it competitively. Leaving on a scope or accessories and factoring that value in puts the price above most of the unadorned guns and the ad might not even be looked at. Secondly, I can sell the scopes much easier in more places as the market is bigger. Finally, it's easiest to ship in the factory boxes that the guns originally shipped in. Can't do that with a mounted scope.

I have my GunsAmerica account set up and some listings created. Still jumping through hoops with GunBroker. 

No private sales in NJ since 10/1/18 is only going to affect those who own guns and want to trade-up or sell them in a lawful manner. The FFL intervention becomes a PITA with another added fee. Change is often difficult to accept. This was yet another tragedy for all law-abiding folks.