deerpark

Recommend a holster that wont damage the finish on my firearm.

The first thing I ever won shooting was a custom leather holster, fully lined with chamois.    I won it in a rifle match--didn't even own a handgun at the time--so I had to go out and buy one just so I could tell them what to custom-make the holster to fit.    Since that prompted my first handgun purchase, it's safe to say that free holster cost me a small fortune over the years.   :-)

That chamois lining would be about the closest thing to perfect, I think, but nothing will prevent all wear.   And you have to be careful to keep the inside of the holster clean so grit doesn't build up and scratch the finish.

I've been carrying guns for over 40 years on just about a daily basis. Any holster will wear the finish eventually.

As @10X said a lined leather holster is about the best you can do.  I'd stay away from kydex or plastic holsters.  They are the worst when in comes to wearing the finish IMO.

Bluing is the easiest to wear. Most firearms finishes are much more durable.  Carry a totally stainless firearm buthe you will get shiny spots where the finish wears on a blued gun.

All leather holster that fit the gun well are the best for everything IMO.  The DeSantis Speed Scabbard is my favorite for over 30 years.  I like them without the thumb break but they are available both ways.

@deerpark

My attitude is why just go with one style or approach?  Try a number of holsters, go with what you like and works the best for you.  You may even want to alternate them like one does with summer vs. winter clothing.  

Last year, I ordered two custom-made holsters, one inside the waist band (IWB) and one outside the waistband (OWB), from Mitch Rosen Extraordinary Gunleather.

From my research on holster manufacturers, I discovered that most only make holsters for the most common handguns and use dummy molds of those handguns to form their holster leather or other material.  While I had originally wanted to get a holster for my HK P30L, since it is the lightest of my full size handguns, nobody had the molds for that specific handgun, where its barrel is one half inch longer than the standard HK P30.  I would have to send my P30L to the holster maker for them to use as a guide, something that I was reluctant to do.

So, I decided to make my Sig Sauer P226 MK25, also in 9mm, my CCW handgun, for the times where I want to CCW and can do so legally.  I find that I am more accurate with a heavier handgun and it is a common model that has been around for a while and therefore the holster makers all have holsters to accommodate it.   Once I received both holsters, I found the fit of the handgun inside each to be appropriately snug, but not difficult to draw from.  I really do like the look, work-of-art craftsmanship and wonderful leather aroma of the Mitch Rosen holsters.  As @GRIZ said in his post, all holsters will rub the gun's finish in the key contact areas, resulting in a subtle polishing effect, but the leather seems to be the most forgiving in that regard, compared to the much less expensive Kydex holster I had originally for this handgun.

I also purchased and have worn a 1 1/2" inch wide custom leather gun belt made by Mitch Rosen.  It is hand-crafted from very fine strapping cowhide leather and is cut on a curve, which provides a better more comfortable fit.  I also opted for the tapered ends which contributes to a more normal belt look in front and therefore does not look like a gun belt. It is harness-stitched around the perimeter and finished like a fine dress belt and has a very pronounced and wonderfully intoxicating rich leather aroma, that costs $140.  Of course, the Mitch Rosen holsters match the color and finish of the belt and looks really good IMHO.  Here are links to what I purchased:

Mitch Rosen Extraordinary Gunleather
Uncle Sal’s Decision (USD) II (IWB) Holster (Light Brown)

http://mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/inside-waistband-holsters/

Premier (PREM) with Full Detailing (On the Belt) (Light Brown)

http://mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/belt-holsters/

1 ½ inch width strapping leather with tapered ends (Light Brown)

http://mitchrosen.com/products/belts/

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@deerpark

My attitude is why just go with one style or approach?  Try a number of holsters, go with what you like and works the best for you.  You may even want to alternate them like one does with summer vs. winter clothing.  

Last year, I ordered two custom-made holsters, one inside the waist band (IWB) and one outside the waistband (OWB), from Mitch Rosen Extraordinary Gunleather.

From my research on holster manufacturers, I discovered that most only make holsters for the most common handguns and use dummy molds of those handguns to form their holster leather or other material.  While I had originally wanted to get a holster for my HK P30L, since it is the lightest of my full size handguns, nobody had the molds for that specific handgun, where its barrel is one half inch longer than the standard HK P30.  I would have to send my P30L to the holster maker for them to use as a guide, something that I was reluctant to do.

So, I decided to make my Sig Sauer P226 MK25, also in 9mm, my CCW handgun, for the times where I want to CCW and can do so legally.  I find that I am more accurate with a heavier handgun and it is a common model that has been around for a while and therefore the holster makers all have holsters to accommodate it.   Once I received both holsters, I found the fit of the handgun inside each to be appropriately snug, but not difficult to draw from.  I really do like the look, work-of-art craftsmanship and wonderful leather aroma of the Mitch Rosen holsters.  As @GRIZ said in his post, all holsters will rub the gun's finish in the key contact areas, resulting in a subtle polishing effect, but the leather seems to be the most forgiving in that regard, compared to the much less expensive Kydex holster I had originally for this handgun.

I also purchased and have worn a 1 1/2" inch wide custom leather gun belt made by Mitch Rosen.  It is hand-crafted from very fine strapping cowhide leather and is cut on a curve, which provides a better more comfortable fit.  I also opted for the tapered ends which contributes to a more normal belt look in front and therefore does not look like a gun belt. It is harness-stitched around the perimeter and finished like a fine dress belt and has a very pronounced and wonderfully intoxicating rich leather aroma, that costs $140.  Of course, the Mitch Rosen holsters match the color and finish of the belt and looks really good IMHO.  Here are links to what I purchased:

Uncle Sal’s Decision (USD) II (IWB) Holster (Light Brown)

http://mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/inside-waistband-holsters/

Premier (PREM) with Full Detailing (On the Belt) (Light Brown)

http://mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/belt-holsters/

1 ½ inch width strapping leather with tapered ends (Light Brown)

http://mitchrosen.com/products/belts/

AVB-AMG

@AVB-AMG is correct you might want to try different holsters for different needs or ways to carry.

My first choice for carry would be OWB, between 2 and 4 o'clock with a FBI cant.  Easiest to draw from, easiest to retain. No cross draw or small of back.

To give you an idea of different holsters for different needs I'll discuss a variety of holsters I have for a 2" j frame.  OWB with and without thumb break, IWB with a single clip (no big paddle that wraps itself around 1/4 of my waist,  pocket holster, ankle holster (goes on weak side ankle, gun inboard) and shoulder holster.  Although I have other manufacturers I have a DeSantis in each of the styles I mentioned.  I imagine you can find all of those from other manufacturers as well.  I like DeSantis.

The downside to trying different holsters is you'll find one or two you'll like and wind up with a big box of holsters!

Oh yeah...you need a good belt to use a OWB holster properly.

My experience has been a little different. All holsters, regardless of material, will create wear spots on your gun's finish. Also you may want to consider different materials for different styles of holsters.

I am not one to condemn Kydex as quickly as the others. I am a (mediocre) competition shooter and favor Kydex for that purpose. Positive snick/snick draw and reholstering. Great retention that is adjustable with a screw. One of my guns is a 586, which is blued. That gun has seen thousands of rounds and hundreds of draws and reholsterings, yet the finish is still probably 90%+. Because the Kydex holsters usually retain the gun by the fit at the trigger guard, that is the only spot where there is any wear.

Leather holsters tend to mold themselves to the gun, over time. While that makes for a very comfortable carry it also puts more of the holster in contact with your gun's finish, so wear spots could show up anywhere, dependent on the fit. You will almost always get wear at the muzzle, and if it's a revolver, the leading edge of the cylinder, but could be many other places too. With the positive shape retention of Kydex, that doesn't happen.

For years it was thought that lined holsters were the bees-knees when it came to finish protection. Not necessarily the case. A smooth lining - either top-grain or maybe the chamois previously mentioned, might be OK. But many holster makers have used suede in the past. The surface of suede, and some other linings, tends to trap debris - soot (which is a particulate), unburned powder residue, dust, and then, because of the close fit to the gun, grind these abrasives into the finish. There are a lot of variables in this scenario: How often is the gun shot, drawn, cleaned, what is the environment in which the gun/holster combo lives, etc.

So there is no correct answer as to what holster creates the least wear on your guns finish. You really should concentrate on the purpose of the holster and select the holster, regardless of material, that best fills that need. I use an unlined leather, IWB for concealed carry (usually Sparks VM II) and Kydex for my competition needs (usually Blade Tech).

Good luck with your quest - as GRIZ pointed out, you will end up with a box full of holsters.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Don't be such a pansy. 

No seriously though, don't be such a pansy.

The finish of your pistol along with what material your holster is made of will always wear down finish though some combinations may take longer than others.

If it's really that big of a deal, I'd suggest buying a separate "holster gun" dedicated to holster work at the range and/or carry. That way you have your safe Queen that gets babied and you also have your holster gun that wears.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RecessedFilter said:

Don't be such a pansy. 

No seriously though, don't be such a pansy.

The finish of your pistol along with what material your holster is made of will always wear down finish though some combinations may take longer than others.

If it's really that big of a deal, I'd suggest buying a separate "holster gun" dedicated to holster work at the range and/or carry. That way you have your safe Queen that gets babied and you also have your holster gun that wears.

Not sure it's being a 'pansy' so much as it's deciding 'what do you want that pistol for?'.

If you buy a Corvette you have to decide if it's a garage queen for trailer and show so it will always be 'perfect'. Or, do you want to drive it often, which means you'll eventually have to accept some kind of body imperfection.

Same thing with handguns. Do you want to look at and admire its perfection, or shoot the hell out of it?

If you want the best of both worlds with a certain pistol, buy two.

Note: no subliminal references to a certain firearm manufacturer intended.

This is a ridiculous thread.  If you are worried about a holster wearing the finish on your gun your in the wrong hobby.

For me... I’m more worried about rust when finish wears. My sweat is on par with battery acid.

Mostly all of my carry guns are plated, stainless, both, or will be refinished in the future. Once my P938 is done and I get that threaded barrel, it will take a trip to Robar.

Personally, if it is honest wear... I don’t have a problem with. Wear on NP3 does occur... just not as obvious (for what it’s worth). Likewise if I cause it from being stupid (the Hogue grip mount for my J-frame, but that scratch was covered up by Robar), I get over it and remember to not do that again. Someone else messing up the finish on my gun... not as happy over.

A carry gun shouldn't have rust, or pitting, or dust bunnies behind the trigger.

It should have marks and scratches, wear spots, and areas of thinning finish.

When I see gun like that that, I know that the person carries and practices with that gun. They probably are proficient. 

I have had people I have arrested with guns tell me, after the fact, that they didn’t want to push me because my duty gun grip is beat up and they could tell I practiced.

Now the difference is when I am working, my gun is on display in my Duty Holster.

Your CCW should be hidden.

So my question is - who are you showing your gun to that you are worried about wear marks?

If it’s solely for resale value/collector purposes, buy another gun for carry.

Otherwise, be proud of the work, time, effort, and money that went into developing those character marks. Each one is a sign of your improved proficiency and your dedication to preparing yourself for the worst day of your life.

You need a new mindset, not a new holster.

• Like 5

Otherwise, be proud of the work, time, effort, and money that went into developing those character marks. Each one is a sign of your improved proficiency and your dedication to preparing yourself for the worst day of your life.

Except this one. This one sucks.18f6ad279802c73c793aadb5a327fd87.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, deerpark said:

Listen, I dont like it when my firearms have wear marks on em. 

I need something that isnt going to rub away the finish from constant use!

:mad:

@Mrs.Zeke showed me this gem today.

” It’s better to be a warrior in a garden, then a gardener in a war”

• Like 1

You need a playing card.
That’s a sign of either carelessness or thinking you know more than you do.
It is a valuable reminder either way.
In general its carelessness. Most of the times I've heard of people getting it within the first few times of breaking down their 1911. That's how I got mine, but it's a lesson I only had to learn once.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk