deerpark

Can someone hunt down these friggin deer already.

I would support a nearly year-round deer hunt, unlimited limit, on everything from Bambi on up. There are way too many deer and it costs people in this state millions each year. I think i heard recently average damage from a deer/car accident is $3500-4500.

The problem is, those city folk, who never see deer, think they are majestic beautiful creatures, and ohh and ahh over seeing one off to the side of the road. Because they see one deer in their life, they don't think they are a problem, so why would anyone want to hunt them? Only those gun fetishist people who want to murder would want to hunt those poor defenseless creatures...

Meanwhile, i'm pretty sure theres a deer gang of crips and another of bloods in my neighborhood, and they have declared war on plants and on car front ends. I want these roving gangs eliminated, so bring on year-round hunts.

Deer are pests....albeit tasty pests. 

They cause a lot of damage to cars, crops, yards, and they breed fairly unchecked in NJ. 

I wish they would have longer hunting seasons in NJ (not that I would hunt on public land...especially since I own a ranch back home in Tx), but the population needs to be controlled and managed .

The season in some zones last until February we have large bag limits in most zones , The problem lies in some towns have a no discharge so even bows hunting is not aloud , Princeton  is big and no hunting , Toms river just as big no hunting  and so on so with nothing to keep the population in check heard get huge   more car accidents Look what  king murphy did put a cobosh on the bear hunting on state own property , But towns like Princeton bitch that the deer eat there 50k manicured yards then I hear a few years ago they hired that great white hunter guy to hunt deer at night with a silenced rife for $1000 per deer

1 hour ago, deerpark said:

What the hell man?

Seeing a ton of deer this year all over the road.

I dont recall ever seeing this many and Ive been here my whole pathetic life. 

Did they ban hunting too?  Wouldnt surprise me.  

It's the Rutt.  Also your screenname is appropriate.

• Like 1

I Don't hunt but would love to get into it. Maybe next year i'll have the time and money to put into it. We only eat Kosher meat at home (Mothers rules, and since i moved back in, i can't complain) so that crap gets expensive. Would gladly bring home a couple hundred pounds of meat!

Contrary to popular belief, there is much less food for deer in "real" woods than there is in suburbia. The combination of forest edge, crops and suburban landscaping has caused a huge population increase. Add in the steady decrease in hunters' numbers over the years, and you have a growing problem with deer populations. NJ hunting seasons are about as liberal as they get, with many areas allowing an unlimited amount of deer to be taken between Sept. and March.

Problem is there is so much land that is not huntable because of anti owners or developments. 

14 hours ago, mustang69 said:

Haven't seen a single one since moving to NH - up here we have moose...

I've only seen 6 deer and 2 dead moose but I've seen over 15 bear since may 11

16 hours ago, tomk62 said:

My understanding is that there are more deer now in NJ than there were in colonial times.

With far less open land and food.

It’s more cruel for them to strarve. The hunting seasons are way too short, less open land to hunt, and fewer hunters each year. People feel that they do not need to be self sufficient anymore... and don’t get me started on the geese.

I live along side a golf course ,  it's like a playground for the deer. They know they are safe and just saunter around the golf course and all through my development. Many mornings going to my car I pass close enough to deer that I could bag one with a 9 iron

1 minute ago, JMich3 said:

I live along side a golf course ,  it's like a playground for the deer. They know they are safe and just saunter around the golf course and all through my development. Many mornings going to my car I pass close enough to deer that I could bag one with a 9 iron

Talk to the golf course and see if you can hunt before/after hours?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Talk to the golf course and see if you can hunt before/after hours?

This is a county course so I doubt they would let anyone hunt on it. The course is also surrounded by residential neighborhoods  so I doubt they could even let.someone in with a bow if they wanted to

2 hours ago, JMich3 said:

This is a county course so I doubt they would let anyone hunt on it. The course is also surrounded by residential neighborhoods  so I doubt they could even let.someone in with a bow if they wanted to

They let people hunt in Cheesequake State Park, which is state land...  IDK.  Most likely is too late now but you could always ask.  You just have to be 150' from a structure, Since it's a golf course there's plenty of open space.  I believe Franklin Twp allows hunting on public open space...

• Like 1

Not enough hunters, not enough areas open for hunting to support new hunters. Those of us that do hunt can only eat so many. Longer seasons wont help much. they are long now compared to the 60's when we had 6 days of buck, and maybe, if you drew a tag, one day of doe. no limit on does in zone 12 now and four months to hunt.

One thing for sure, on opening day of gun last year there were hardly any shots heard in an area that sounded like a war zone on opening day twenty years ago.

• Like 1