AlDente67

High Point? Any better?

Was browsing carbines recently.  The High Point stuff is wayyyy cheaper than other other makes.  I know many consider it crap, but has the quality changed in recent times?  Is the rep still valid on their long guns (or sort of long in the case of a carbine)?

I looked at the High Points when looking for a carbine. I didn't like the feel and how rough the metal and finish was. Yeah, it was cheap, but since I'm not buying for the short term, I passed. I prefer a composite or polymer stock and carbines that are a little different in appearance.

I have a Hi Point 9mm carbine for about 10 years.  The old style with the really ugly stock.  I bought a HI Point 45 ACP carbine last year.  Still ugly.

I have had zero problems with either.  They have been 100% reliable with any ammo I'be used and factory magazines.  They even shoot my lead bullet reloads with no problem. The 9mm shoots 3-5" groups at 100 yds with any kind of ammo.  The 45 not as accurate with 5-8" groups at that distance.  Both adequate for SD use.

They are complicated to take apart for a full cleaning.  They are the AK47 of the PCC world IMO. I have only field stripped the 9mm twice. My cleaning is limited to punching the bore a few times, wiping off the big chunks, and squirting some lube in the action.  This lack of maintenance is verified in the manual I got with the 45.  The factory recommends field stripping every 3000 rds.

I have 100% faith in either as a SD weapon.  My only issue is that the rear sight would be easy to damage if dropped on a hard surface.

If you buy an aftermarket stock you're pushing the cost close to a new Ruger 9mm carbine.  I have one of those too and it's about as accurate as the Hi Point and a lot better looking.

Considering the low cost, everyone should have a Hi Point carbine IMO.

15 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

Was browsing carbines recently.  The High Point stuff is wayyyy cheaper than other other makes.  I know many consider it crap, but has the quality changed in recent times?  Is the rep still valid on their long guns (or sort of long in the case of a carbine)?

I got my Hi-Point last year, 9mm, gently used and have only put about 850 rounds thru it, but it has been pretty good for me, only 3 fails. 1 fail to eject and 2 fail to feeds. Magazine lips seem to occasionally be reported as needing tweaking. I'll find that out at my next trip to the range.

The rifle is a little on the heavy side, not bad but you can tell. Ugly, yeah, it isn't  a streamlined thing of beauty. But it shoots pretty good, accuracy is fine for a pistol caliber carbine, 100 yard hits are 3-5" groupings with stock iron sights, but my eyes are 60 plus years old.

Took it apart once, when I first got it, and yeah it's more than a 2 minute breakdown, but if you RTFM it's not difficult. And as someone mentioned, it's not needed too often.

I liked it's price/performance ratio enough that I just recently got their 9C pistol, and it's ugly too, in my view, but aside from being heavy it's given a good accounting of itself. 200 shots, 2 fail to feeds, again the forum mentions mag lips. I was using cheapo white box ammo.

https://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forums/

Plenty of info here, and a good gang of people.

Oh, yeah, warranty policy is up there with the best of them!!!!! Even burned up in fires! Look in there for the comments about the warranty, you won't regret the time looking.

Thanks for the inputs.  I will browse that forum.     I have a Berretta 9mm carbine so I can use the same mags that fit the 92 pistol .  That is nice, and it is a hoot to shoot.  I also have a Turkish .40 that works well but mags are impossible to find.  I am stuck with the 2 that came with it, and haven't been able to find any more.  Even the store I bought it from cant get more.   Strike that $700 down the drain.

Figured HiPoint would be more available since all those other mags are at the bottom of the ocean these days.

1 hour ago, AlDente67 said:

I also have a Turkish .40 that works well but mags are impossible to find.  I am stuck with the 2 that came with it, and haven't been able to find any more.  Even the store I bought it from cant get more.   Strike that $700 down the drain.

Have you tried Numrich Arms? I have had good luck looking for hard-to-find parts and mags there. 

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/