10X

Are spammers harvesting NJGF email addresses?

I'm getting absolutely slammed by spam emails that seem to be linked to conservative causes, but seem more like scams.  Literally a dozen or two every day, all with short emphatic subject lines 'Mitch McConnell', 'Newt Gingrich', 'Paul Ryan', 'Chris Smith', 'Steve Scales', 'Scandal', 'Horror', 'Look', 'Watch', '3X Match', '5X Match' etc. etc. etc.   The email I have linked to NJGF is a spam catcher I use for almost nothing else (OK, I did use it to sign the 'Recall Murphy' petition, so that could also explain things...)

Has anybody else noticed the same thing?   I know there is a lot of election-related spam flying around the 'net right now, but this is really annoying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 10X said:

I'm getting absolutely slammed by spam emails that seem to be linked to conservative causes, but seem more like scams.  Literally a dozen or two every day, all with short emphatic subject lines 'Mitch McConnell', 'Newt Gingrich', 'Paul Ryan', 'Chris Smith', 'Steve Scales', 'Scandal', 'Horror', 'Look', 'Watch', '3X Match', '5X Match' etc. etc. etc.   The email I have linked to NJGF is a spam catcher I use for almost nothing else (OK, I did use it to sign the 'Recall Murphy' petition, so that could also explain things...)

Has anybody else noticed the same thing?   I know there is a lot of election-related spam flying around the 'net right now, but this is really annoying.

Thanks for bringing it up.  I will take a look however I do not believe there were any attempts.... particularly as most spam is geared towards actual spam and not political messages.  

In either case, even when registered, members cannot see each other's email addresses as they are all encrypted on back end and not shown.

What is possible is that your email was typed somewhere in a message, and someone might have used a screen grabber to capture emails... but it could have been any website and why generally we would not want anyone to write their email in a message that is public. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 10X said:

I get the exact same ones, but my email is used in a lot of places. 

14 hours ago, 10X said:

(OK, I did use it to sign the 'Recall Murphy' petition, so that could also explain things...)

That would be my bet where they got it.

I use a throw away email for a few outlier polls and stuff, then all types of crap comes soon after.