Sign in to follow this  
njpilot

AR15s - What's legal?

Hey maksim,

Regarding your response on the highroad:

"Should be ok if CA legal. You can have like 3 things on the list. But as long as 10 round mags, no bayo lug, you are pretty much ok."

I am interested in an AR15, but a little confused on exactly what is and isn't legal. I was under the impression that birdcage supressors and collapsible stocks were illegal. Do you know for sure that they aren't? I thought I read somewhere that only 2 items: supressor, pistol grip, collapsible stock were legal.

Anyone who know for certain and can post, it would be greatly appreciated. Of course the "substantially identical" can really be difficult to know what is legal and what isn't.

Would also appreciate people opinions on what is a good make, ie; DPMS or Bushmaster or who?

Thanks in advance.

NJpilot

Either fixed stock or pinned collapsible

No bayonet lug

Flash suppressor - no (pinned and welded)

Muzzle break - yes.

Max 15 round magazine

Here's the AG's info on the subject:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

Yup, I had to jump threw hoops at Cabellas to get my Stag NJ compliant.

I can't find the guys web page, but he sells AR 15 round mags and they come in many different colors. My old computer shut down with his link and I wanted to order a few. If anyone has the link, can they post it? Thanks.

Arms-N-Ammo used to have the 15 round mags listed under accessories, but they were frequently sold out. Recently, with this massive rush since Obama was elected, they are apparently so backordered that they are not listing them for the time being. They are, however, selling conversion kits for converting Magpul Pmags to fit only 15 rounds. I have no idea how easy the conversion is, and I believe it involved actually removing part of the magazine. Give it a try and tell us how it goes.

Arms-N-Ammo used to have the 15 round mags listed under accessories, but they were frequently sold out. Recently, with this massive rush since Obama was elected, they are apparently so backordered that they are not listing them for the time being. They are, however, selling conversion kits for converting Magpul Pmags to fit only 15 rounds. I have no idea how easy the conversion is, and I believe it involved actually removing part of the magazine. Give it a try and tell us how it goes.

Thanks for the web address, too bad on those 15 rounders.

If I get extra 30 round mags, I'm not gonna chop it up to make a 15 rounder. Besides, I do all my AR shooting in Pennsy, where noone cares how many rounds your AR holds.

I would suggest contacting any FFL (class 3) that can do conversions or is licensed for auto's, etc... such as BA... When I was there a few weeks ago, saw a few banana clips on the counter for the AK's. =)

Also, they do conversions for the XDm, to convert the 19+1 into a 15 round mag.

If I get extra 30 round mags, I'm not gonna chop it up to make a 15 rounder. Besides, I do all my AR shooting in Pennsy, where noone cares how many rounds your AR holds.

Be careful if you bring those 30 rounders back into NJ with you. One traffic stop and you could be in hot water quick.

I would suggest contacting any FFL (class 3) that can do conversions or is licensed for auto's, etc... such as BA... When I was there a few weeks ago, saw a few banana clips on the counter for the AK's. =)

Also, they do conversions for the XDm, to convert the 19+1 into a 15 round mag.

Do they do conversions on alot of different magazine types? There are alot of rifles out there that skip straight from 10 rounders up to 20 or 30. If I bought, for example, an M1A, I'd love to have 15 rounders for it.

Be careful if you bring those 30 rounders back into NJ with you. One traffic stop and you could be in hot water quick.

Yea, your right but I don't bring them home with me. They stay in Pennsy.

Just go to Camden every third Saturday. You will here the command FIX BAYONETTES followed by a charge of yelling and screaming dealers having a turf war.

It was tried where I live but the wild Turkeys got in the way and tripped them up. A memo was subsequently sent out and only in urban settings will it take place anymore.

Just go to Camden every third Saturday. You will here the command FIX BAYONETTES followed by a charge of yelling and screaming dealers having a turf war.

It was tried where I live but the wild Turkeys got in the way and tripped them up. A memo was subsequently sent out and only in urban settings will it take place anymore.

:lol:

Tip's Hardware has 15-round Magpul PMAG magazines in stock. They are $40 each.

I winced a little and bought 3, but it turns out a good price for a Magpul brand PMAG 20- or 30- round magazine is around $25, so I'm willing to pay $15 to get them modified.

They are plastic (very nice, thick, cool plastic), shortened units.

-melgamatic

I winced a little and bought 3, but it turns out a good price for a Magpul brand PMAG 20- or 30- round magazine is around $25, so I'm willing to pay $15 to get them modified.

-melgamatic

i recently placed and received an order from tips. great mags and the mod is very nicely done.

-melgamatic

Wow!!! I picked up an S&W M&PT over the summer, along w/ 4 converted to 15 rounds P-Mags for $25 each. Thought it was expensive then.

An AR is semi-auto, has a pistol grip and the ability to take deatchable magazines. The pistol grip is one of the "evil" features and you can only have one. No flash surpressor, threaded muzzle, folding or telescopic stock, bayonet lug, or grenade launcher.

Don't compare NJ laws to CA laws. Each is different in there own respect and thinking it's compliant with CA laws can get you in trobule in NJ and vice versa.

Permanently blocked means that. One way is to cut the magazine down. If you were to weld a block inside the magazine (not on the floorplate) I think that would meet the criteria. the argument could be made that the welded block could be removed so the only sure way I can see to stay out of trobule is to have mags that were originally made to only carry 15 rds.

you can get these 15 rounders for 12.95 they are 30 rd mags lanced for 15 rounds.

http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/produc ... ucts_id=73

I just ordered an Olympic Arms Plinker Plus and got 4 of these mags and 1 10 rounder. I am not sure how they will work, as I hear the Olympic Arms Ars are picky with mags, Will have to wait and see.

Bill

http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=73

They make 15 rounders out of 30 round mags. and not at a bad price.

Two things about C Products magazines:

1) In the recent past, orders from C Products have taken multiple months. If they currently have the mags in stock you may be lucky, but it took me over 2 months.

2) Many people are sceptical about whether or not the C Products methodology of conversion to 15 rounds meets the "easily non reversible" requirements of NJ. They basically pinch in the magazine so the follower can't go below a certain level. You could certainly reverse the process at home in your workshop without too much trouble. But you couldn't do it easily at the range, so you decide if it is non-reversible enough for your legal comfort.

I have a bunch of both, and my 10 C Products magazines are largely unused at this point.