Sign in to follow this  
tbtrout

Any reloaders?

It is definately a money saver. And very relaxing to boot. The nice part is being able to tailor a load for a specific need. I can load down 45acp to 38 special recoil out of a 1911. My wife really enjoys shooting it. With a little common sense and paitience it is very easy to do.

I have been reloading shot shells for trap for over 15 years,however the last year and half it was cheaper to but Remington Gun Club from Dicks when they were on sale with rebates running this combined with coupons worked out to some pretty good deals. Lead shot was very hard to find and very expensive, I saw prices up to $65.00 for a 25 lb bag. I have some canvas bags from years ago marked $12.95 for a 25 lb bag. I find reloading to be relaxing, I want to start reloading for metallic cartridges but I'll wait until reloading supplies become plentiful again.

I have been reloading shot shells for trap for over 15 years,however the last year and half it was cheaper to but Remington Gun Club from Dicks when they were on sale with rebates running this combined with coupons worked out to some pretty good deals. Lead shot was very hard to find and very expensive, I saw prices up to $65.00 for a 25 lb bag. I have some canvas bags from years ago marked $12.95 for a 25 lb bag. I find reloading to be relaxing, I want to start reloading for metallic cartridges but I'll wait until reloading supplies become plentiful again.

by the same account, even with inflated reload prices... i am sure it is still cheaper to reload than to buy new ammo.

I started reloading 9mm about 6 months ago. It is a lot of fun. My son and I have shot over 1000 rounds that we reloaded and I probably have another 1,000 rounds ready to go. It is relaxing and I can load down our rounds for our fun shoots. Makes it kick less and we are faster onto the second shot. We have tried the 115, 124 and 147 grain but we really like the 124 gr for the 9mm.

All you need now is your kid's friends to come in and help out.

Do you buy your reloading components online or in store?

I am really considering reloading, if it will help me bring the cost of ammo down on the bigger calibers... might pick up my brother's Desert Eagle .44mag and I think he has an XD in 45gap that he doesnt shoot...

Anyone reload anything in that caliber?

I buy lead bullets on line. I order 2 -3k at a time, depending on weight, to max out the box for the price of shipping. There is a local guy I by powder and primers. Brass I come across. I really did well buying on ebay when they allowed it. I reload for 45acp and 44mag also, there is a good savings if you are going to shoot enough of it after the initial outlay of money. The biggest benefit, other than cost , is the ability to load down my target ammo.

I reload 9mm and .357, and 30-06 for the Garand and Eddystone. For 9mm I seem to have settled on 3.8 of Bullseye with a 124 FMJ. The .357 is primarily 148 grain HBWC over 2.8 grains of Bullseye. I'm collecting brass when I can find it for the SKS, but haven't loaded any yet. I tend to do most of my reloading in the winter when it's too cold to shoot, but I need to do something gun-related. Between loaded ammo and on-hand components, I'm good until next summer. Hopefully by then the craziness will have ended.

I'm glad to see this section started :)

The problem with loading is once you start you will shoot more. Sometimes even spend more because you are shooting more, but in the end it is justified because you saved money for all that you shot. Then you start accumulating brass for calibers you do not have and you have to buy a new gun to use the brass. It is an evil cycle.

In the last month alone I had to go through and easy 1200 pistol rounds.

So to take this convo in a slightly different direction, trout and I were shooting last night at BA, Brick armory for those that didnt catch on to all the other posts, hehe, and obviously they didnt have a serious problem with collecting the brass.

What has been other people's experience with it?

Didnt Ray's have a thing against collecting own brass? For places that sell reload ammo, I am sure that brass comes in handy. I know up at the Bullet Hole in bellevile, Manny reloads...

With a revolver it is easy to collect own brass, but what about autoloaders in a place that frowns upon it?

btw, does BA sell reloaded ammo? didnt see.

They do not sell reloads. I do not know what they do with their brass. I try to only pick up what I shoot sometimes more, sometimes less,and once the RO knows you reload they do not bother you. In the other ports they push the brass forward. I am not scrounging all I can find, but I did see some 357 brass, asked the guy and he told me I could have it.

I've never been prohibited from picking up my brass at Ray's, Bullethole or the old Paterson range. however they do have a issue if you reach too far in from of the firing line due to safety.

I get a ton of brass everytime I'm the RO at our club's open shoots. Seems those people don't reload, or very few. Nice new once fire brass. I now have a lifetime's supply.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum.

It's great to have a shooting forum dedicated to NJ!

I reload mostly pistol, 45 ACP, 38 SPL. Some 243 Win.

I really enjoy reloading. It's not just about saving money, it's like another offshoot hobby of shooting. "but saving some bucks always helps too". I know what you mean tbtrout, The money you save you just reload and shoot more! :)

I reload on a Dillon 550 and really like it

Reloading is very relaxing, I just throw on some Country music and go to town. One very gratifying part is the ability to load light to heavy charges depending on the shooters ability. Putting my 686 in my 8 yr old Son's hand with 148wc target loads is a good place to start, not too much recoil to scare him.

You are right it is a hobby within a hobby.

I've been reloading for about 35 years. What happens is you do save money but you spend just as much reloading and tend to shoot more. It used to be some calibers were not economically fesaible to reload, like when you could get a case of 1000 Portuguese 7.62 NATO for $90. Current ammo prices have changed that.

Not by much. I think any savings from using a little less powder will be negated by buying the brass. It is less common than 45 acp. On the Hodgdon reloading center it only gives lead data for 155swc. The 185 and 200 are both premium bullets. That would definately cost more. That is not to say you can not use 185 and 200 Lswc, I am not familiar enough to know if the larger SWC causes feeding problems in the GAP.