myhatinthering

7.62x39 rifles

40 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

thinking about possibly trading or outright buying a cz 527 in 7.62x39.  Anyone have one, opinions?

I know of two guys that have them.  They are very happy with them.  Handy, great trigger, and as accurate as factory x39 is gonna get.

If I could figure out a purpose for one, I'd build it. I just can't seem to do that.  So, it will remain un-built for now. 

Ive wanted a cz527 for a while now...  the set trigger feature looks fun and the reviews seem to be great.  the fact that its built for steel cased 762x39 makes it easy on the wallet too for a fun plinker

most if not all cz products are great in general.  

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

What about a pistol caliber carbine instead. They're a lot of fun, and you can share your existing stockpile of ammo and sometimes even your existing mags.

I do not like pistol caliber carbines and I think that they are a waste to be perfectly honest with you. They just do nothing for me although I do regret selling my 1980s pc9

9 hours ago, Bully said:

Another option:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791107046

I kinda love the mini actions.  I would love to build one.  I just think they're really neat.  Kind of like a Cooper on a budget.  

Bully - Please chime in here...  7.62X39 is an inherently accurate cartridge bases on its similarity to the 6mm/30PPC benchrest cartridge.  In a good accurate rifle with good ammunition they are renouned to be a laser beam.

1 hour ago, Old School said:

Bully - Please chime in here...  7.62X39 is an inherently accurate cartridge bases on its similarity to the 6mm/30PPC benchrest cartridge.  In a good accurate rifle with good ammunition they are renouned to be a laser beam.

Handloaded, yup.  Although the PPC is based on the 220Russian, I believe that there are some differences that make the PPC a bit of a better choice for accuracy (as evidenced by Bob White's .100ish group of 10 @ 200 yards).  If I had my druthers and was doing this for kicks and giggles AND wanted awesome accuracy, I'd do a 30BR.  

The rifle in question, the CZ, is supposed to be able to shoot steel cased ammo.  A great choice for putzing around on the cheap and if it were legal in NJ, an awesome little deer slayer.  

On 11/13/2018 at 7:05 AM, Bully said:

Handloaded, yup.  Although the PPC is based on the 220Russian, I believe that there are some differences that make the PPC a bit of a better choice for accuracy (as evidenced by Bob White's .100ish group of 10 @ 200 yards).  If I had my druthers and was doing this for kicks and giggles AND wanted awesome accuracy, I'd do a 30BR.  

The rifle in question, the CZ, is supposed to be able to shoot steel cased ammo.  A great choice for putzing around on the cheap and if it were legal in NJ, an awesome little deer slayer.  

I'm pretty sure the grendel was based on a .220 russian as well.  I like plinking with x39 but even handloaded for precision who makes good brass?  What bullets are available?  For fun I get it but I'd go with any 6 or 6.5 or a 30BR for anything more "serious".  I could be wrong--as usual.  @Old School don't make fun of me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

I'm pretty sure the grendel was based on a .220 russian as well.  I like plinking with x39 but even handloaded for precision who makes good brass?  What bullets are available?  For fun I get it but I'd go with any 6 or 6.5 or a 30BR for anything more "serious".  I could be wrong--as usual.  @Old School don't make fun of me.

Rob - I'd never make fun....Hey I'm the stupid fuck that lost a match last Saturday because I cross fired. Well the guy next to me liked the extra 10 points.

2 hours ago, Old School said:

Rob - I'd never make fun....Hey I'm the stupid fuck that lost a match last Saturday because I cross fired. Well the guy next to me liked the extra 10 points.

Shitty way to lose 10 points.  I’m sure the guy wasn’t happy to get them though.  

5 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Lapua and Norma make brass I'm pretty sure.  

Then again, I run a 223 in precision rifle matches...  So I'm not very smart either...  :blink:

41 minutes ago, Bully said:

Lapua and Norma make brass I'm pretty sure.  

Then again, I run a 223 in precision rifle matches...  So I'm not very smart either...  :blink:

Wow that surprised me.  And I know you do and I had T1D do my .223.  Get an FFL and you’ll do the next.