dajonga

NJ carry at my home statute?

I have spent the past 45 minutes looking here and googling for the NJ statute that allows (exempts) for open/concealed carry at home. 

Does anyone have a statute/link?

I carry a snubby S&W on my hip whilst doing chores at home, indoors and outdoors, and want to have that statute handy.

Gracias

Unless you are in a very rural area, which Bayville is not. You are asking for a world of shit! I lived in Bayville and worked in the only gun shop in Bayville. I carried to and fro. No issues. But around house while doing chores? Again VERY rural, maybe,housing development, NO.

Title 2C - 39

"e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to
prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises
or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in
the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his
residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between
one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling
or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of
repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a
fixed location."

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, dajonga said:

I have spent the past 45 minutes looking here and googling for the NJ statute that allows (exempts) for open/concealed carry at home. 

Does anyone have a statute/link?

I carry a snubby S&W on my hip whilst doing chores at home, indoors and outdoors, and want to have that statute handy.

Gracias

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-2c/section-2c-39-6/

Because Legally cops aren’t required to know laws. Could possibly be wrongfully arrested, NJ when it comes to gun crimes is guilty until proven innocent. Than we end up with a scenario where he spends time in jail and gets to spend some big money defending himself in court. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Why is he in for a world of shit while doing something lawful?

'cause most police can't/don't know all the laws/statutes. most i fear are also anti-gun(for us common folk). the police we have here are the exceptions to the rule.

me personally.....i do carry about my home, and out in the yard when working. but i keep it concealed. i really don't want the "extra attention" that would be garnered by the sig hanging in plain sight.

• Like 2

The last thing I would give a shit about is a cop showing up at my door asking me if I'm carrying a gun on my property.

I also shoot test loads in my backyard into a back stop to check velocities... If the cops show up... Again.. I don't really care. 

At the end of the day, if a cop arrests you.. he needs to actually charge you with violating a law. A prosecutor would also have to affirm those charges.

I wouldn't let no bullshit stop me from carrying on my own property.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

me personally.....i do carry about my home, and out in the yard when working. but i keep it concealed. i really don't want the "extra attention" that would be garnered by the sig hanging in plain sight.

Good advice for the OP.

• Like 1

I never saw the actual statute until this thread, but I was always under the impression it was ok on your property.  But I agree I would keep it concealed out in the yard.  Tempting a nasty visit for the PD because a panicky or vindictive neighbor or passerby will lead to a visit.  Imagine the caller, intentionally or otherwise, distort what they observed and add in some sort of variation on brandishing will lead to a very unpleasant encounter.

Then, you never know in the future if the local PD will keep a close eye on you.  If they decide to randomly pull you over while driving about town, they can be looking to see if you decided to keep it on your hip while going to the quickie mart.   You never know what their intent will be unless the officer is a friend or relative.

But thats just me.

28 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Title 2C - 39

"e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to
prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises
or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in
the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his
residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between
one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling
or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of
repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a
fixed location."

Thanks 45Doll! Just what I was looking for.

1563621.... As to why carry at home? .......If NJ will not let allow me, a law abiding citizen who has passed at least 40 background checks, to legally carry outside of my home, I will choose to exercise the limited rights I have in the hope that minds will be changed.

If LEO rolls up on me for mowing whist carrying, I need to know the statute.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dajonga said:

If LEO rolls up on me for mowing whist carrying, I need to know the statute.

Keep in mind that in most towns, the town technically owns a right of way on the curb-line. Usually about 10 feet. Someone could argue that's 'public' property if you're mowing on it.

Personally I would open carry only inside my house. And only concealed outdoors on my property. I can't see a reason to curry unnecessary attention.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

As an RPO, Paul can carry whenever and wherever he wants.

Yes, but LEOSA only covers concealed carry.  You can legally open carry in NJ with a RPO permit but it's not a good idea unless you're in a security guard uniform.

Must be nice to be considered a higher class of citizen. As a normal civilian opening carry in your yard while legal will most likely turn into a major affair. Like others stated conceled from neighbors might be the best idea. Most towns have ordinances where if your causing public annoyance or cause major police response is a chargeable offense regardless if that panic is justified or not. Plus with the new “red flag” laws in place all the neighbor had to say is your acting irrationally etc. now all your guns get seized and you get to spend some money get all your property returned. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

ok. you come back to nj, and open carry in your yard. you can be the test case.

Your land. Carry what you want. Open or concealed. If you question it, you've become pussified.

getoffmylawn.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

The last thing I would give a shit about is a cop showing up at my door asking me if I'm carrying a gun on my property.

I also shoot test loads in my backyard into a back stop to check velocities... If the cops show up... Again.. I don't really care. 

At the end of the day, if a cop arrests you.. he needs to actually charge you with violating a law. A prosecutor would also have to affirm those charges.

I wouldn't let no bullshit stop me from carrying on my own property.

Ah, except the part of shooting in your backyard... 

Does your town have discharge laws?

In most of Central Jersey there were discharge laws on the books.

Now, once again the broader issue of carrying on property is the difference in being right vs being effective...

You are absolutely 100% within your rights to open carry on your property, heck, walk around with an AR and an AK on your back... the question is, how effective is it?

Have a noisy neighbor?  Watch how quickly they call the cops and swat shows up to reports of "gun walking around with assault rifles."

Yes, they will sort it out later.

Just remember NYC transit laws... yes, FOPA protects you, but NYC doesn't care and they arrest first, then sort out later.   Hence why, carrying on own property... conceal carry it, especially if you have small property or in an urban area.

If you live in the boonies or are on a few acres, then it all goes out the window and do as you want. 

• Like 2

I CC in my property. my property, my right. 

I dont have anything set up for OC that isnt a warbelt type setup.

although ive also been known to mow the lawn with a slick plate carrier on for weight, because i dont exercise nearly enough so yea...

12 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

If avoiding unnecessary and unrewarding contact with NJ LE and the judicial system is considered 'pussified' then...

MEOW!

Depending. It would or could be creating a nuisance... let’s face it. If we were all Nieghbor’s it would be called safetown USA. But we are not, unfortunately. And the neighborhood seems to be changing 

37 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

In the PRNJ, CARRY is CARRY, Open or Concealed. No difference made in the statutes. With RPO creds no one is going to give him any shit, I bet.

If you have an RPO permit in NJ yes you can open carry.  Not a good idea IMO as you'd be spending a lot of time explaining when people make "man with a gun" calls.  You're going to get stopped in order for you to show that RPO permit.

Repeatedly getting stopped to show those credentials is a PITA.  If someone with a RPO permit insists on open carrying all the time all they have to do is be in the wrong jurisdiction to get red flagged.  One should avoid issues.  Not only from the bad guys but from the government as well.

28 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

You could use it as a teachable moment. Chances are if the cops did show up, they probably won't again. 

Yes. But I might be the one learning the unpleasant lesson.

I carry a firearm to protect my life; not to precipitate a 'discussion' over Constitutional rights vs. progressive gun laws.

I have many other avenues for the latter that carry no risk.

• Like 1