DirtyDigz

Edumacate me on archery

I’ve been thinking about getting into archery, mostly as a way to have fun in the back yard, 

I think compound bows are cool, but I don’t have my heart set on one.

What would be a good entry bow setup to get started, and what would I need to build a safe backstop in my yard?

Can I assume it’s legal to do so, or are there NJ towns with anti-archery ordinances

15 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

I’ve been thinking about getting into archery, mostly as a way to have fun in the back yard, 

I think compound bows are cool, but I don’t have my heart set on one.

What would be a good entry bow setup to get started, and what would I need to build a safe backstop in my yard?

Can I assume it’s legal to do so, or are there NJ towns with anti-archery ordinances

Mine needs the backstop approved by cheif Leo.. look at the ordinance’s for your town. And crossbows are legal, Soo don’t dismiss them

16 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

You're kidding right? This IS The Peoples Republic ya know...lol

Seriously...Some towns don't allow it. Check with your local PD.

2 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

My town does not allow it.  Where I grew up a few towns away, they used to allow it, but not anymore. 

Archery is no joke.  If you can practice in your yard, you need a good backstop.  I used bales of straw with plywood behind the stack, but you can find better manufactured  backstops now.  Every once in a while an arrow would go through the bales, hit the plywood and destroy the tips.  It's easy to stop an arrow, but not so easy to do so without damaging the tips.

I have a compound bow with a 60Lb draw.  You are welcome to borrow it for a while.  I haven't touched it in years, don't even know if I have arrows.  You should be able to find cheap practice arrows for around $2 - $3 each.

I was in the same boat a couple years back.  

I bought a Mission compound bow and love it.  All in with peep site install, release tool, and few extras arrows was under 400.  

They helped me research town ordinances and found I was good in pittstown.  I had a section of my yard where I stacked bails of hay and set a proper target to catch the arrrows.  

Hardest part for me was learning to release left handed.  I’d definitely recommend it.

I've never been bothered by leo when shooting my bow in my yard. and I have been observed doing so. 

with a compound bow, you're gonna need something hefty for the backstop. the arrows will go through a haystack like they aren't there. ask me how I know. 

I have a target bag, and a cube. both made for archery. you're only supposed to hit them with target tips though. broadheads will tear them up.  as for backstop......I set my stuff in front of my woodpile. nice natural backstop. 

both of my current bows are hoyt. I've had Matthews before, but like the hoyts the best. they're pricey....but well worth the money. if you happen to be left handed, you'll probably pay a little more. don't plan on finger shooting. you'll need a proper release. for me, the wrist-strap release works the best and most comfortable. 

6 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

What do y’all think about a piece of plywood with a couple of rubber horse stall mats tacked on.   Better backstop?

I think you would stop arrows but end up ruining some of them. 

I suspect you have been looking at DIY backstops via google.  I dunno about horse stall mats, maybe if they were layered.  If the mats are very dense, then they'd probably work as the first layer. 

Practice arrows are fiberglass and they tend to splinter when they hit a hard surface.  Aluminum arrows bend instantly.

I never had trouble with straw stopping arrows unless the arrow slipped between the bails.  Maybe horse mats over straw would do it.

See, the problem is, as a beginner, you will be shooting at a somewhat close distance, so the target and backstop will have to absorb a lot of energy.  I shot at about 15 to 20 yards, that may not seem like a lot, but if you are new to archery, it's about right.  At that distance, there's a shit ton of energy.

Maybe look at the backstop netting/blankets.  I dunno anything about them, but they may do the trick.

Hay bales can, apparently, mess with carbon fiber.  My tech told me so.  I have not researched it.  

The Mission bows are really nice.  As are most of the "entry" level bows.  If you think handguns are tough to keep up with the latest and greatest, the archery world will shock you.  Bows that were top of the heap last season are worth nothing to anyone besides their owners.  The devaluation is amazing.  I have a "flagship" bow from a small company.  I have, in the past, tried to sell it.  The offers hurt.  I'll keep it.  It's a beast.  Small, light, fast.  But worthless, money wise, to anyone but me.   

That said, with my "starter" bow, I blew straight thru my first deer.  Honestly I should have kept it.  But, such is life.  

Oh, discharge ordinances generally cover bows as well. 

Good luck.  

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Patrick and Scorpio, thanks for the offers to try your bow/crossbow, may take you up on that.

What do y’all think about a piece of plywood with a couple of rubber horse stall mats tacked on.   Better backstop?

Hay bails and that behind it! And foam target in front of it..

If you want to try, I have a crossbow.  Can bring you to the Archery range at SCFGPA - it's a nice 20/30/40 yard archery range, with a huge foam block for broadheads.  .  I shoot crossbow only at the 30/40 yards as the bolts penetrate too much if too close.

52 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

If you want to try, I have a crossbow.  Can bring you to the Archery range at SCFGPA - it's a nice 20/30/40 yard archery range, with a huge foam block for broadheads.  .  I shoot crossbow only at the 30/40 yards as the bolts penetrate too much if too close.

I might take you up on that. I'm thinking about getting one. Bow has no bag limit for doe here, and the herd needs thinning. 

• Like 1

A&M Lakewood.  I've only been there once, and that was years ago so I cant give you much info.  Quick Google sez they are rated pretty good and have a 20yd indoor range.  They are open until 3 today.  git moving.

http://www.amarcherynj.com/index.html

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 7:27 PM, DirtyDigz said:

Patrick and Scorpio, thanks for the offers to try your bow/crossbow, may take you up on that.

WOULD definitely stop your arrows, ut it would also destroy them in the process. in a way that's ok though.

EDIT

actually it wouldn't destroy them. before i got my mustang, i used to use the inner back wall of my garage for backstop. t11. they'd penetrate and i'd have to repair.....but the arrows survived.