PK90

SNOW PICS

12 minutes ago, WP22 said:

From my understanding...

The forecast was to be more rain than snow. So they spread brine last night hoping that and slightly warmer temperatures would b enough.

It didn't warm up so we ended up with more snow that the forecast. But the plan didn't change.

I left Newark by 2:00pm and the place was already a mess. But the traffic hasn't that heavy yet. The salt trucks could still be set out and be effective.  I took 78W to 24W. The traffic on that stretch of 78 was  very slow but moving. I saw first spun out cars on the side of the road on 24W and by then the traffic was already a nightmare and just got worse leading to complete closures of 10, 280, 78 and 80 due to ice.

You get ice when you don't clean the snow. There was a 3-4 hour traffic window to send out the salt trucks but they weren't. After that window the traffic just got to a standing still and sending them out was pointless; they would be stuck on traffic themselves.

The first snow plow I saw was on 287 and this was 4-5 hours into this ordeal.

78, 24, 10, 46 and 80 hadn't been plowed when I passed there.

This was a piddly little storm. But the lack of preparation and failure to adapt to changing circumstances made this a major cluster.

It was all Putin's fault.  I am sure the Russian hackers made it worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WP22 said:

8 hours and 30 minutes that's how long my 34 mile commute took today.

Thank you governor  tata toothy for the wonderful snow removal job your underlings did today. 

Sounds about right.  4 hours for 18miles.  Almost ran out of gas, and killed my battery.

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Was it really the snow?  Or just no one being morally prepared for the first snow of the year?

People just have no idea how to drive in snow.   

1. Stop on hill, get stuck.

2.  Leave traction control on while stuck, watch wheels spin as you go nowhere.

3. 4 wheel drives can do anything.  NOT.

Watched a jeep wrangler stuck at a intersection for 20 minutes.  As many 2wd cars drove past him.

2 minutes ago, GramGun79 said:

My normal 10 min ride home was just over 90 min. My cousins was stuck in his work van on 80 for 8 hrs before anyone came to help him. Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, 80 on where?  

Wow, 80 on where?  

Not sure exactly he said is work van spun out and he got stuck in the snow. Not sure exactly where. Just saw his Facebook posts for help. Changed his address to route 80 after 6hrs [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

No signs of snow here in South South Jersey (i.e. Floriduh)

0cc4f1ba34c6f2320964561173a0ff7c.jpg

That is the EXACT same view yesterday from my back yard, except our sky was more grey - but I'm in North Jersey, oops I mean North Floriduh :)

12 minutes ago, Howard said:

That is the EXACT same view yesterday from my back yard, except our sky was more grey - but I'm in North Jersey, oops I mean North Floriduh :)

I think the view from every Florida development looks the same! lol.  That could of been the view from the 5 developments we saw in Palm Coast, =)

2 hours ago, Handyman said:

Team Murphy gets an F- on this one. Also an F U.

We gave us an FU, alright.

I just had a show thought. It took me longer to drive 34 miles than it takes him to fly the 4300 miles to his villa in Italy.

7 hours ago, PeteF said:

People just have no idea how to drive in snow.   

1. Stop on hill, get stuck.

2.  Leave traction control on while stuck, watch wheels spin as you go nowhere.

3. 4 wheel drives can do anything.  NOT.

Watched a jeep wrangler stuck at a intersection for 20 minutes.  As many 2wd cars drove past him.

Sure, in every storm there always some of that. But, when cars and trailers get stuck going up ant hills like that one on  Parsippany road going over 287 in Parsippany there's not much you can do and stop and get stuck too. This was squarely on the snow not being plowed.

By the time I got to hill on 80W by exit 42 in Parsippany there were already two trailers and a couple cars stuck. It was like a slalom trying to go over it.

Later the SP closed it there too and made everybody cross to the Eastbound direction.

• Like 1

That was horrible last night.   took me 6 1/2 hrs to get home.. for a 15 mile trip.  I sat there in my truck watching netflix on my way home. No road prep, no salt, no brine, no plowing.   each town i got through was a shit show.   I was in 4 wheel drive the whole time and and i had to drive around i dont know how many dozen stuck cars that had absolutely no business being out on the roads in that.

I think they brined some roads thinking the temps wouldn't drop as much... but yeah complete failure by the DOT this time... and the Governor went and blamed the Meteorologists... how about prepping for the worst?  Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

34 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Imagine if was actually a real snow storm? Like a 1-2 footer.

That's what's really infuriating about this. This wasn't a storm; this was a dusting.

Besides, this in NJ. I didn't remember a winter in NJ that didn't snow. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WP22 said:

That's what's really infuriating about this. This wasn't a storm; this was a dusting.

Besides, this in NJ. I didn't remember a winter in NJ that didn't snow. 

Based on the amount of precip we’ve gotten lately, I’m expecting a snow hammer this winter 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I hope so! 

I'd actually like to see us get some serious stuff, even if just to get the dweeb drivers off the roads. Maybe if it's serious enuff, they'll stay home?  NAH,  I kinda doubt it.

Me? I'm looking forward to using these when they make them for my VW Bug.

http://trucktracks.com/en/

McKenzie-County-Sheriff.jpgyeah, right,,,,,,,

This storm as baffling in terms of prep and people's behavior. I literally got stuck waiting forever at an intersection because a number of cars could not get up the "hill". And by hill I mean the road is maybe a 1% grade. 

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Imagine if was actually a real snow storm? Like a 1-2 footer.

1. All the makers would be dead, and the takers would go hungry. 

2. At least there weren't any zombies.

3. Who is this @Maksim guy? :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I think they brined some roads thinking the temps wouldn't drop as much... but yeah complete failure by the DOT this time... and the Governor went and blamed the Meteorologists...

I just saw a tail end of a news conference with Gov. Bucktooth. That's exactly what he did, he  blamed the weathermen. "We were only suppose to get 4" or so, but by lunchtime we realized it was going to be more".

WTF idiot... Jersey gets snow EVERY Winter. EVERY storm is unpredictable...

Murphy can't get his "people" ready and prepared for all situations, then screws up transportation for the top half of the state??  Really??

But those 15 round mags... that's a priority...

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter if you have 4WD, front or rear, the only thing that matters is getting good traction with the road... you can have crappy tires on a 4WD and not go anywhere or get proper winter tires and be fine... Or... for years when a modified Z28 mullet mobile was my daily driver, as soon as winter hit, go to Home Depot, get 300 lb of sand and throw it in the trunk.... instant traction.