Screwball

Out of NJ Wish List

Being there has been a few members leave NJ, some planning on it (myself included), and other who may in due time... figured a decent thread would be what people would buy (or have bought) when 2C:39 doesn’t apply to them anymore. Just want to see what people are interested in... without the NJ legal BS to follow.

Personally, I made a list of stuff I wanted to do to my current guns. Some of which can be done while I’m in NJ (refinishing pistols or TAC-14, for example), but others will be after I move (bayonet lug/flash hider for my M1A, 20 rounders for my .45 AR, etc). My Fostech Echo lower sitting in PA is definitely another build that will be post NJ. Only one I’m up in the air on is getting a new 16” Tavor barrel, so I have the threads back. Have to look into having some guns unpinned... because my SUB-2000 would be something more fun with a threaded barrel.

I also made a list of guns that I wanted to buy. Some were broad types, mostly C&R guns, but a Fulton M1A1 Carbine and S&W M&P10 are on the list. Those are mostly “I’ll eventually pick up.” Nothing too big... CZ-52, Makarov, FN-1900, a revolver or two. Would love a Lugerman .45 Luger... but that is like a $7,000 purchase. TAC-13 is on there... depending on how it rolls out.

The big item that I’m actually going to be excited for is the PTR 9CT. I was between it, the SIG MPX, and the CZ Scorpion. SIG will have some faults that will show up in my other investment (see below), and for as much as I like the CZ... I think an MP5 clone will be a better buy. Yes, I watch Die Hard around Christmas each year. I have my GSG-5... which is nice, but I want 9mm. [emoji41]

So, I am sort of up in the air on whether or not I’ll SBR it. Want to, as makes things easier in regards to stocks/vertical grips (stock I’d do, vertical grip... eh), but the braces I’ve seen being equipped on the 9CT actually look pretty practical... and less headache to deal with if I travel with the pistol. And while the H&K collapsible stock looks cool... it doesn’t look that fun to shoot up in cold Maine.

I’m also looking at the Franklin Armory binary trigger for it, as it is pretty cool... and you can get it setup in a trigger housing directly from HKParts. The selector is identical in function to the one on a full auto MP5. Hell of a lot cheaper than an actual machine gun or transferable sear (which the latter would allow me to just put a stock on the 9CT without a SBR stamp... or at least how I read into it). It might not be full auto, but NJ considers it a machine gun. [emoji16]

But the other big thing I’m going into up there are suppressors. Did a little research, and have three specific ones I’m likely going to be looking towards. The DeGroat NANO is just a tiny can, which I’m looking to toss on my P938. Sort of a just because purchase... as I don’t think I’ll have any other gun that I’d want to put such a small can on.

The other two are from Griffin; the Optimus and Revolution 45 MOD3. The Optimus is a .308 can, but can be reconfigured to shoot 5.56mm or 9mm (different caps). The Revolution is just a wider version, but more of a pistol caliber only can. Supposedly, the Revolution can run limited numbers of certain rifle ammo through it... but likely not going that route. Both use the same adapters, so could run either on the 9CT in either configuration (3 lug or direct thread) with either suppressor.

Obviously, the Optimus will be more of my rifle suppressor... but doubt I’ll put it on the M&P10 (whenever I get it... if I do). Hear a lot of issue with reliability running suppressors... so I’ll likely get my Remington Model 7 threaded. But will be able to go on that PTR. The Revolution is more likely going to be running on .45s... namely my D/I .45 AR and Glock 30S.

Might be on Ramon noodles after I do all that, but definitely purchases I want to make.

When I first got here I unpinned my AR stocks, unboxed my 30 round pmags and put my mini14 back into its folding stock.

Being a first time homeowner, all ive been able to afford is a 8.5"300blk barrel with and to build a AR pistol and supress it but all money has been allocated to the house recently. 

In the future as far as non NJ legal I'd like an m1 carbine and a cz skorpian pistol, a .22 can, 9mm can and a 30cal can. But its gonna be a while before I can afford all that lol. 

• Like 1

My move wasn't because of the gun laws.  To me they are a symptom of much bigger problems that NJ has and will continue to get worse.  I just like being able to buy when I find something and not have to worry about permits and expiration dates.   So far I've sold far more than I've bought as I've tried to refocus my collection.   

It just feels different - no more feeling like I have to buy something just so a permit doesn't expire, and I can actually carry so having carry options helps.  It's one thing to think I would carry a fullsize handgun.  Reality I've found is different.

• Like 3

No rush on it but it will be a proper AK...

I may see about unpinning the barrel nut on my WASR... but really isn’t too big of a deal. Gun shoots fine, but the only other reason I’d do it would be to suppress.

However, from what I looked into, AK barrel threading isn’t usually that good in regards to centering the bore/threads. It is for a somewhat short muzzle device, so accuracy wasn’t a huge priority. If I get the nut off, hoping the chrome lined US barrel that it was built with is good to go.

Im easy.......ALL I want is SBRs & full auto!

Gets expensive... especially the full auto part. If you go to the next Oaks show, look at some of the price tags on transferable Thompsons or M16s. Could buy a car with that.

I liked the idea of an H&K auto sear, but again... $25,000+ later.

Binary stuff will be good enough to scratch that itch for me. [emoji6] But if I win the lottery, a complete 1921 Thompson likely will be on the list.

My move wasn't because of the gun laws.  To me they are a symptom of much bigger problems that NJ has and will continue to get worse.

Ask me if I was moving five years ago... would have said no. Withdrawing from the NJSP hiring process was likely the best thing I could have done... knowing now that this moron is governor, with his pedophile US Senate buddies. Would have sucked to be stuck here for 25+ years.

My parents were staying for my grandfather, who passed away earlier this year. They are now staying until my mom retires (two or three years). Was talking to my brother-in-law yesterday, and they are moving out, as well. State isn’t what it was, and it is hard to survive here.

Shy of the truck I’m putting my first bonus check down on, shooting is going to be my main hobby up there. Need to figure out what I’m doing for housing, but I’m going to put a chunk of my pay from FLETC down on either land or house.

First full day I was in SC I went to Cabela's and bought some 30 rounders, and to Home Depot to buy a pair of pliers to remove the roll pin from my AR's stock (movers had my tools). The next purchase was my M&P Shield 2.0, which gets plenty of use since I got my CWP.

As for new stuff, there's a bunch of goodies I would like (suppressors, an SBR, another AR, etc) but I've been pacing myself. No need to light my cash pile on fire. ;)

• Like 1

In the fantasy world where I can afford all I want, there are guns I want from the banned by name list, like an AUG. I want some SBRs, both of currently owned guns and future new guns. Biggest expense would be the cans for each gun I want one on, because I would want dedicated ones for each gun. I might share for a couple, especially handguns, but anything precision would certainly have its own. Would also have to get threading done on a bunch.

If lottery winnings were involved, then maybe something like a real MP5 would be on the table.

And glorious, non-neutered magazines everywhere... Everywhere, with me, on my person, in my daily travels, in/with my CCW gun. Hell, I'd get an FN Five-seveN pistol with 20rd flush mag and spare 30rd mag to CCW just as a F U to NJ.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 1:59 PM, WP22 said:

I just want to walk in a store, point, pay and leave. None of this P2P, OGAM, evil features, reduced mags BS. Getting any banned gun is just a bonus.

This is the best, and worst, part of gun buying.   You can spend a lot of money quickly. 

The first thing I did was sbr 6 lowers, then bought 4 cans, replaced all my ban magazines with standard capacity ones.  The latter wasn’t cheap, I have a reasonable number of firearms that have greater than 15 round mags as standard.  The PMags 30 rounders were all cheap when you get a sale.  I just bought more the other day 10 for 9 bucks each.  

The first firearms I bought were AUG, HK SP5K and Sig MPX-p.  I SBR’d the Sig and bought another suppressor that I pretty much leave on it.  

I feel like I’ve spent ridiculous money since getting my out of state home.  But my wife doesn’t care, let me build a gun room and let me build a bigger one in the house that’s currently under construction.  

I’m in NYC for the giants game tomorrow will be back to FL for two weeks and have already told my wife that I’m blowing all of my allowance buying whatever I see that’s cool.  I’m having a hard time deciding what to get—but I’m sure lol think of something.  Always open to suggestions.   

• Like 2

Mostly milsurp and antique handguns and rifles. Without the P2P it would make it a lot easier. I'm turning 21 soon and it was hard just to get my FID noe that the guys who helped me are in different colleges (we were in High School together), I don't know who would what to do it for me. It's not like a know a people in my college well enough to ask about obtaining a P2P and not I don't come from a pro 2A family really...

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I moved to Florida in June, and took @Rob0115  's sound advice.  Even if it turns out it is do as I say not as I do :)   I have really not bought anything of any significance.  I mostly shoot USPSA so I am limited to 10 round per mag if I shoot Production division, and 140mm length magazines if I shoot Limited.  For LTD that means about 19 rounds for major and 22 for minor power factor.  The only thing I have bought were some 140mm mags so I did not have to use +4 basepads on my previously legal 15 rounders and some larger magazines as backup for my G43 carry gun.  I know I am boring, but really in no rush for extra toys and until recently was busy looking for a house.  Now that we are settling in maybe I will start thinking about new toys.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Handyman said:

I just want to pump my own gas.

It's so nice to not have to wait for some pissed off asshole to come over and pump my gas. Just pull up, hop out and pump and be on my way. 

• Like 2

Most of what I personally acquired after gaining freedom would still be legal in NJ. Bolt-action rifles and revolvers. Of course, the dozen or so AR pistols with braces balance it out.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just want to pump my own gas.

It's so nice to not have to wait for some pissed off asshole to come over and pump my gas. Just pull up, hop out and pump and be on my way.

I do it plenty of times here... station we use for work, the guys appreciate it (don’t think they know the law, as English isn’t their first language). BJ’s (have their membership/credit card, so easier that having to wait for an employee to scan his ID)... some appreciate the help, but had one guy get loud with me over it. Sorry, but when two people are working eight pumps each... I’m not sitting for five minutes just for him to make his way over. He is being paid to sit out there, not me. Told him if his boss says something, explain to them that if they don’t want me doing it... hire more people. He starting quoting me the law (reading the sticker on the side of the pump). [emoji1787] Ok, have me arrested. He called his supervisor over the radio... and he told him something to the affect of “really?”

But seems they moved that guy into the store, since he also got in a few shouting matches with coworkers and at least one other customer.

WaWa, I did the same... especially after the one I used had a girl cover the side of my car with gas. She didn’t say anything... and the manager pretty much said “tough” when I complained. Just wanted access to a hose/bucket of water to wash it off the paint.

9 hours ago, Howard said:

I moved to Florida in June, and took @Rob0115  's sound advice.  Even if it turns out it is do as I say not as I do :)   I have really not bought anything of any significance.  I mostly shoot USPSA so I am limited to 10 round per mag if I shoot Production division, and 140mm length magazines if I shoot Limited.  For LTD that means about 19 rounds for major and 22 for minor power factor.  The only thing I have bought were some 140mm mags so I did not have to use +4 basepads on my previously legal 15 rounders and some larger magazines as backup for my G43 carry gun.  I know I am boring, but really in no rush for extra toys and until recently was busy looking for a house.  Now that we are settling in maybe I will start thinking about new toys.

As hypocritical as it was I stand by that advice. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maksim said:

In PA we have not only the privilege of pumping your own gas... but paying about $.20 per gallon more!

NJ is catching up,on the gas tax.  It’s funny I hadn’t gotten gas in NJ in almost year because I don’t drive much when I’m in NYC.  However a few weeks ago I was going t the giants game, pulled into a station to fill up and kept swiping my credit card.  The pump said please swipe employee card.  So I thought damnit pump is it of service so I move the car and repeat the same silliness.  I’m like what are the chances that this pump isn’t working either.  The attendant walks over and asks “Sir is everything ok?”  I laughed and told him I forgot NJ isn’t pump your own.  He was amused but commented he was happy to have the job. 

On 11/18/2018 at 8:51 AM, PK90 said:

Most of what I personally acquired after gaining freedom would still be legal in NJ. Bolt-action rifles and revolvers. 

My first purchase after escaping was a revolver.  Kind of surreal to just walk in and out in about 20 minutes, NICS check and all.  Now that I have my SC CWP my understanding is I don't even need the NICS.

I too have started looking at the AR pistols, maybe do my own build.

• Like 1

I pump my own gas all the time.  I have my local Hose Jockeys trained to leave me alone, lol!  I always use the same station.  I do a safety inspection & walk-around most times.  Stretch the legs & look at the tires.  The War Wagon has over 212K on it now.  And every mile's worth of gas was pumped by ME!

3 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

I pump my own gas all the time.  I have my local Hose Jockeys trained to leave me alone, lol!  I always use the same station.  I do a safety inspection & walk-around most times.  Stretch the legs & look at the tires.  The War Wagon has over 212K on it now.  And every mile's worth of gas was pumped by ME!

Quick, call the cops!  You are going to blow yourself up and the gas station!

Can't pump own gas at Hess/Speedway, Wawa's etc where need an attendant card.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maksim said:

The full service requirement in NJ still pisses me off.   In 30 years of paying full service prices, I've yet to have anyone check my oil or wash my windshield, so whatever it is they are doing here, it's just half a step above self-serve, except when it comes to price.

When I first started flying lessons in NJ, I was surprised to see that most airports have self-serve gas.  So while it's apparently far too dangerous for us to attempt putting gas in a car, it's just fine to climb up on the wing dragging the hose dispensing 100 octane leaded Avgas.

6 hours ago, Maksim said:

The law was sought after & lobbied for by the NJ Gasoline Retailers Association, Inc. to stop independent stations from having a "Gas War", a condition whereby the independents could freely under-price established brands that pay a fee to maintain a franchise.  I LIVED thru it :) 

The law is never enforced, and with good reason.  Very expensive motorcycles have gas tanks that ride on top of the engines.  A simple spill that Gas Jockeys are sometimes known to accomplish would result in a YUGE fire & lawsuit for destroying said bikes :) .  Ask yerself when's the last time you saw a Gas Jockey feeding a Harley or a Goldwing? 

13 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

The law was sought after & lobbied for by the NJ Gasoline Retailers Association, Inc. to stop independent stations from having a "Gas War", a condition whereby the independents could freely under-price established brands that pay a fee to maintain a franchise.  I LIVED thru it :) 

The law is never enforced, and with good reason.  Very expensive motorcycles have gas tanks that ride on top of the engines.  A simple spill that Gas Jockeys are sometimes known to accomplish would result in a YUGE fire & lawsuit for destroying said bikes :) .  Ask yerself when's the last time you saw a Gas Jockey feeding a Harley or a Goldwing? 

And here I thought they just didn't want to spill some gas on the biker's crotch!

On 11/19/2018 at 8:39 PM, 10X said:

When I first started flying lessons in NJ, I was surprised to see that most airports have self-serve gas.  So while it's apparently far too dangerous for us to attempt putting gas in a car, it's just fine to climb up on the wing dragging the hose dispensing 100 octane leaded Avgas.

Although it was quite a few years ago when I worked at a boat dock we were not allowed to pump fuel only the owner/operator was allowed to pump.