SJG

Rem 700 CP

Remington launches new 700 CP pistol line in 3 calibers (PHOTOS)

11/16/18 7:45 AM | by Chris Eger

96814-700-CP_1280px.jpg

The new Remington 700 CP is offered in .223, .300 AAC and .308 Win (Photos: Remington)

Billed as the next in a long line of bolt-action handguns reaching back to the classic XP100, Big Green’s new Model 700 Chassis Pistol is now here.

Using a short-action Remington 700 system, the Chassis Pistol is advertised by the New York-based company as an accurate and compact handgun for use on the range or in a hunting environment. Offered (initially) in .300 Blackout, .223 Remington and .308 Winchester, the CP in its longest version is just 21.75-inches overall. Featuring 10.5-inch barrels in its .300 AAC and .223 formats, the pistol runs a 12.5-inch barrel in the .308 version.

96814-700-CP_front_angle_1280px.jpg

Exit fireball, here. Also, note the tread protector

Regardless of caliber, the CPs all come standard with an M-LOK handguard, threaded muzzle, and a full top Pic rail for optics and/or BUIS as it comes sans sights. The guns use a Magpul MIAD pistol grip, Remington’s X-Mark adjustable (3.5 to 5.5-pound) trigger system, and the magwell is set up to accept 10-round Accuracy International AICS-spec magazine system detachables. There is a rear single-point quick-detach sling point, which should prove useful as the weight on the series ranges from 5.95 to 6.15-pounds with the .308 pushing the heavier end of that scale. Finish is hard coat anodized and black Cerakote.

96814-700-CP_rear_angle_1280px.jpg

Brace?

Retail is $1,020, as suggested by Remington, which should be less at your local dealer.

The company largely pioneered the bolt-action hunting handgun market with the XP100, a compact 40X short action which debuted in the 1960s complete with an advertising campaign that touted it as “the world’s hottest handgun,” especially when coupled with the very hot .221 Remington Fireball.

I think an AR pistol is more practical than this. lol.

However... AR pistols don’t tend to be legal here.

I think it is useless... unless someone decided to put a long enough brace on it. Would make a sort of a non-stamp SBR. I’m sure a company is looking into it already.

The ATF went back and forth too many times on the brace issue that it is likely here to stay. Only thing I could see is a state (wouldn’t shock me) trying to pass legislation for shouldering one equates to redesigning it as a stock.

Personally, I really hope that this is the avenue to show how useless the NFA is... hopefully leading to it being dissolved.

You guys do realize that these have been around for years.  Read the last paragraph in the marketing memo.

It's why you cannot load 30cal AP projectiles in 308 but you can in 30-06.  And crying about 223 and 300BO being recognized as HG ammo meanwhile saying how cool an AR pistol is...  Think that thru.  Additionally this won't have a weight limit like an AR pistol as it's not semi-auto.   

These get used in specialty competitions and for varmint hunting/game hunting fairly often in states that allow them.  They do have limited purpose and use practically speaking but they are quite a bit of fun for those inclined.  I have a spare action floating around and if I come across one of these chassis' I may transfer it to a pistol just for giggles.  

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 11:09 AM, Maksim said:

:facepalm:

Seriously, WTF is the purpose of such guns?  Besides the "cool" there is zero practical purposes for this... I think an AR pistol is more practical than this. lol. 

Pistol hunting is popular in many free states. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Pistol hunting is popular in many free states. 

Yes... no problems with a pistol, go hunt with a SW500, etc...

But this is pointless as if you are shooting this, might as well put a stock on it and shoot a proper .308.

• Like 1

Remington's XP-100, introduced in 1961 in .221 Fireball, broke some ground. It was offered is many short-action rifle cartridges over the years. And most of the rounds it was chambered in shoot much flatter than a .500. 

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/5/19/remingtons-radical-xp-100/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

But this is pointless as if you are shooting this, might as well put a stock on it and shoot a proper .308.

Because you can't shoot at any real distance with a 500. That bullet drops like a rock. Better to use the right tool for the job

• Like 3

It's the same reason some hunt with a recurve bow and some with a Ravin crossbow.  Different strokes.  

I prefer shooting and loading rifle.  It's more funnerer for me.  If I was to pistol hunt, I'd strongly consider one and may honestly transfer my current spare 700 action into a pistol action and build one for giggles.  Probably do a 6BR as I have everything for it including the reamer.  Although a 223 would be a hoot as well. 

We'll see.  

2 hours ago, Maksim said:

I agree.  You lose so much in velocity, accuracy and ballistics that you mind as well just by a large caliber revolver with a long barrel.