Recon Racoon

I keep adopting these poor guns...

So I hit another gun show today, because I have a problem and I'll be damned if I'm going to seek help [emoji38]! This one was more geared towards surplus and historical arms and gear. Usually the gun show circuit down here is a little...rough. No ones really polite, just looking to make some money. Except this one. Met a wonderful gentleman selling off some of his collection (and boy it's a collection!) and talked for quite some time before I took off to see what kind of trouble I could get into. Came back around and got his SMLE No1.Mk3 with bayonet! Excellent condition. Wood is a little bedraggled but the metal is still in excellent condition. Bore is shiny, no pits or imperfections!30a1ac15c65dff56ecd328cd2f595a11.jpg18b6b74082f6ac0a1c54f61f7071b528.jpg57ea050db9b877036346bb40638923d3.jpg029c8cf590ee82b85c662d5ef7abeb66.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Very cool.  How much?  Any price difference there versus in Jersey?

Mine was 300. He had a No4 war time production that was 400. Which is an excellent price. Last show I went to were a little more expensive. Some pieces were 400, one table had a US production and asking 900 so it depends.

In general prices for this era is going up. Some are more expensive than others. You can find good deals if you look hard enough, but prices are slightly lower than Jersey. Not by much tho. Last rifle I bought up there was a yugo mauser for 350 plus tax so right on par with down here. Modern stuff is hit or miss. Mostly gun stores with huge tables selling off inventory for a little less than retail so nothing spectacular.

If you're ever in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area. Hit me up, we'll hit a gun show if ones in town or hit the range.

• Like 1

They all need love, even the ones past their prime.  I know a guy that buys absolute junk at shows on purpose.  He's a retired gunsmith and makes a restoration project out of them.  Kinda like animal rescue, he saves them from the trash bin and rehabilitates them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Recon Racoon said:

Mine was 300. He had a No4 war time production that was 400. Which is an excellent price. Last show I went to were a little more expensive. Some pieces were 400, one table had a US production and asking 900 so it depends.

In general prices for this era is going up. Some are more expensive than others. You can find good deals if you look hard enough, but prices are slightly lower than Jersey. Not by much tho. Last rifle I bought up there was a yugo mauser for 350 plus tax so right on par with down here. Modern stuff is hit or miss. Mostly gun stores with huge tables selling off inventory for a little less than retail so nothing spectacular.

If you're ever in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area. Hit me up, we'll hit a gun show if ones in town or hit the range.

Very cool.  Seems like the enfield prices are fairly stable then.  They were in this range for a while now.

Was afraid they shot up too... like the Fin and Mosin prices. 

10 hours ago, Maksim said:

Very cool.  Seems like the enfield prices are fairly stable then.  They were in this range for a while now.

Was afraid they shot up too... like the Fin and Mosin prices. 

Do not be fooled by that price - they have gone up - Enfields especially since the hit last year from the movie Dunkirk.....

I wish they were where they were at - 

OP more details on the markings and that will tell a lot about the rifle

I admittedly know jackshit about these  milsurps , other than the few Mosins I have, but my son just picked up an Enfield and a Mauser from a bud going overseas. I don't think there's anything special about them as a knowledgeable FFL  from here took a quick look and my son ended up with them at decent prices, I think anyway.  However I now feel compelled to get smarter about them, there is defiantly some ghostly calling to get more hands on with them lol.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1882391160/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8Uw8BbDE1X2SD

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1882391241/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CVw8BbWMQSSB6

Depending on which style you got. I have the first book, as the 2A1 is really just a .308 No1 MkIII, and it has some good info in it.

Mauser info, a lot is available online (Gunboards is good). Being I have a Yugo M48A, I’m happy I found the Bogdanovic book for the actual cost ($20ish). That book is well over $100... if you can find it. But it does have A LOT of info on Serbian and Yugo rifles... even some of the Mannlicher ones (touches on the Yugo SKS, but those are better documented in Kehaya’s book on the SKS).

Do not be fooled by that price - they have gone up - Enfields especially since the hit last year from the movie Dunkirk.....

I wish they were where they were at - 

OP more details on the markings and that will tell a lot about the rifle
So I look all over the rifle today and got some good shots of the markings and cartouches on the stock. It's actually a No1.MkIII* produced in 43. e9b5a5a2836cd4be0598b5ef7bafed4c.jpgd7e20ddee6bda22806b14eb078903340.jpgd6a7bccdb171359ef8373d41c29eb420.jpgcccbc63cc569dec419d0ab3c6d1efa39.jpg6e5e165b8cc114dc344c1d283e049da8.jpge1f989b2722120101b420b3f35bcf591.jpgf701d750586a73ea2be764056979c94e.jpg1538d1cc534891c9eb0a971dab5f4f23.jpg1ce9f41c993809c6d59bef7930fbd1cc.jpg

I admittedly know jackshit about these  milsurps , other than the few Mosins I have, but my son just picked up an Enfield and a Mauser from a bud going overseas. I don't think there's anything special about them as a knowledgeable FFL  from here took a quick look and my son ended up with them at decent prices, I think anyway.  However I now feel compelled to get smarter about them, there is defiantly some ghostly calling to get more hands on with them lol.
When I got my first milsurp from my great grandmother's passing, i started researching it online. There are tons of resources and people on forums like this that just know a ton about what ever rifle you're looking for. Plus books, and forgotten weapons on YouTube are all fantastic sources.

My current collection is only a few rifles, and the most common types. A Jap Type 99, Mosin 91/30, Carcano M91, Yugo M24/48 (stand in for german K98k since they're god awful expensive), and now the Lee-Enfield No1.MkIII. Still need a French MAS, swedish mauser, swiss K91, and some kind of US rifle. Most of what I know about those rifles all came from here or similar online sources. Some information is harder to come by tho so you might have to fill in the blanks here or there to get a rough idea about your rifle.

And yeah, theres just something about these rifles that you cant explain. I like to think it's the history coming out.

For the guys that know Enfields, were there a lot of fakes out there?
I.e. like the guys we busted on Gunbroker who were putting fake stampings on Mausers to make them more valuable.

I don’t think there were that many... probably like other surplus rifles, snipers are what people commonly fake.

I’m not that familiar with them, but I doubt you are making too much more money off with faking an Enfield... exception being snipers. Maybe gain a little to turn an Indian into something else... but why for that little return?

Not going to have the fakes like with German Mausers.

Rfi ....rifle factory ishapore. But GRI...  made under British direction and still rule...as opposed to the 2a and 2a1

They were made as there were not enough FAL to go around and while they used  no1 wood the buttstock was created expanded to match the sizing of the fal....

Also, these were made when India ran the factories and the 2a 2a1 were made for 7.62 NATO.  These are not .308 guns....  

While we can debate the veracity of that statement looking at the pressure curves of the SAAMI LISTED .308 and 7.62, I would ONLY fire 7.62 in my 2A.....as well as type of brass, chamber cut, headspace etc.  Many factors determine this, also note this is not a very inherently strong action 

Your mileage may vary with yours....

Enfield snipers are humped all the time as well as jungle carbines....

I am no expert, Peter Laidler has a wealth of info and a bunch of others on other boards....  I've learned quite a bit from them.

What i will tell you is that Enfields are like candy, easy to collect, were easy on the pocketbook, and fine shooting rifles .

They are not inaccurate as some would say....  and I'd you reload....  now you have a great round to play with..

You must slug the bore....but that's a different thread. .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1882391160/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8Uw8BbDE1X2SD

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1882391241/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CVw8BbWMQSSB6

Depending on which style you got. I have the first book, as the 2A1 is really just a .308 No1 MkIII, and it has some good info in it.

Mauser info, a lot is available online (Gunboards is good). Being I have a Yugo M48A, I’m happy I found the Bogdanovic book for the actual cost ($20ish). That book is well over $100... if you can find it. But it does have A LOT of info on Serbian and Yugo rifles... even some of the Mannlicher ones (touches on the Yugo SKS, but those are better documented in Kehaya’s book on the SKS).

Those are the beginners books. Skeretton book is the one to get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the guys that know Enfields, were there a lot of fakes out there?

I.e. like the guys we busted on Gunbroker who were putting fake stampings on Mausers to make them more valuable.

No but Enfield collectors have no problem with enhancing and rebuilding rifles. Mauser Collectors refer to that as humping. The Snipers are a different story. Many are fakes.

No but Enfield collectors have no problem with enhancing and rebuilding rifles. Mauser Collectors refer to that as humping. The Snipers are a different story. Many are fakes.

So I have a question about this. I cant see the front site through the rear leaf. I found a peep site I like but it required modifying the rifle. Is it worth drilling and tapping the reciever? I dont want to wreck the value, but I'd like to be able to shoot it some what accurately.

It's a Willians 5D peep.

8 minutes ago, Recon Racoon said:

I found a peep site I like but it required modifying the rifle. Is it worth drilling and tapping the reciever?

Did you buy the rifle to collect or to shoot?  If you bought it to shoot, then put whatever you want on it if it will help you enjoy it more.

Did you buy the rifle to collect or to shoot?  If you bought it to shoot, then put whatever you want on it if it will help you enjoy it more.
Bit of both. I shoot what I buy no doubt. And the rifle isnt exactly in superb collector condition anyway.

So I have a question about this. I cant see the front site through the rear leaf. I found a peep site I like but it required modifying the rifle. Is it worth drilling and tapping the reciever? I dont want to wreck the value, but I'd like to be able to shoot it some what accurately.

It's a Willians 5D peep.

You will destroy value. Get a no drill mount. I think you can swap for a No4 sight as well but I'm not positive about that

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Recon Racoon said:

It's a Willians 5D peep.

Post a pic of the rear sight....are ypu saying the notch is too narrow and your eyes cannot see it?

I see no way a no4 rear sight can fit on a mo1mkiii style rifle.

Humping to me is making something it is not....a la fake totems....on fake ss rifles.

There is not much to fake in the enfield realm...cept snipers and jungle carbines...and they are out there.

Did you have that rifle gone over?

Have you checked the headspace?

Have you checked the stock to receiver fitment?

Have you checked the draws?  Be careful taking the rifle apart...you can surely screw it up my taling it apart incorrectly....

Frankly this rifle is generally not your every weekend shooter...and if all checks out you can shoot it and shoot it well... bit you need to understand what it is and treat it as such.

Oh yeah...and dont be bubba.....  you will destroy and value the rifle has by drilling and tapping it.....  minute of man accuracy or better is what you will get.

Accuracy in enfields is there and it centers around stock fitment  especially in the no4 type.

It was getting late last night I was thinking Marks not numbers. As in Mark I-IV sights will fit on a No4 rifle. I sold all my No1 Rifles but I am sure they make some sort of no drill mount.

• Like 1

It was getting late last night I was thinking Marks not numbers. As in Mark I-IV sights will fit on a No4 rifle. I sold all my No1 Rifles but I am sure they make some sort of no drill mount.

Not from what I've seen. Best reversible option I've found is a mojo peep sight that replaces the rear leaf. But no one has it in stock. At least that I've found.

Post a pic of the rear sight....are ypu saying the notch is too narrow and your eyes cannot see it?
I see no way a no4 rear sight can fit on a mo1mkiii style rifle.
Humping to me is making something it is not....a la fake totems....on fake ss rifles.

There is not much to fake in the enfield realm...cept snipers and jungle carbines...and they are out there.
Did you have that rifle gone over?
 Have you checked the headspace?
Have you checked the stock to receiver fitment?
Have you checked the draws?  Be careful taking the rifle apart...you can surely screw it up my taling it apart incorrectly....
Frankly this rifle is generally not your every weekend shooter...and if all checks out you can shoot it and shoot it well... bit you need to understand what it is and treat it as such.

Oh yeah...and dont be bubba.....  you will destroy and value the rifle has by drilling and tapping it.....  minute of man accuracy or better is what you will get.
Accuracy in enfields is there and it centers around stock fitment  especially in the no4 type.

The notch is so narrow and shallow I have to hunt to pick up the sight picture. I've given thought to buying an extra rear sight and filing it wider. Keep the original to replace if I ever sell it. b302803ee9fc3f8d1ad237263bee40c6.jpg

1 hour ago, Recon Racoon said:

The notch is so narrow and shallow I have to hunt to pick up the sight picture. I've given thought to buying an extra rear sight and filing it wider. Keep the original to replace if I ever sell it. b302803ee9fc3f8d1ad237263bee40c6.jpg

Two passes of a square needle file that is abrasive on edges and side....do NOT go too deep, it will alter point of impact

Two passes of a square needle file that is abrasive on edges and side....do NOT go too deep, it will alter point of impact
So I took the file to it. I had a nice thin square file that was perfect. It opened it up enough for me to see, so I can actually see the front sight now.

And while searching the web for other best things with this rifle, I found peep sights in Ebay. They attach using the same screw that holds rear notch on. Simple screw on, screw off. And they come in different sizes for your target shooting preferences. So I might dabble in that when I have the money. I mean they're only 20 dollars if anyone interested, but I dont even have ammo for this thing yet.