70gto

Tips for new gun owners or anybody else

2 hours ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

#1 semantics: I did say strip and clean. I meant field strip. (My fault for not being clear and precise enough)

#2 I stand by at least learning every part in your firearm through the owner's manual, YT videos, watching someone experienced completely take apart a firearm of similar make/ model.

#3 I still stand by the fact that this knowledge will help you diagnose issues in the case of a malfunction.

#4 NO, I DID NOT suggest anyone fully disassemble their firearms regularly or start manipulating the parts.

#5 I'm sorry I wasn't clear or precise enough, I was just trying to contribute and think of different advice.

emoji2356.pngemoji2368.pngemoji111.png

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#1  YOU ARE MY HERO!

#2  Thanks for posting important ideas & sticking-up for yourself when misunderstood on this teletype machine (it happens)!

#3  Glad to see the "Boyz Club Banter" hasn't chased you away.  Give it back when they deserve it!  Goes for me too!  :) 

#4  The longer you're here the more you'll appreciate SOME of us that just mean well (which is most of us)

#5  It's been too long since we've spent time together, so we have to fix THAT!  :) 

#6  Happy Thanksgiving to you & Matthew!

• Like 1

#1  YOU ARE MY HERO!
#2  Thanks for posting important ideas & sticking-up for yourself when misunderstood on this teletype machine (it happens)!
#3  Glad to see the "Boyz Club Banter" hasn't chased you away.  Give it back when they deserve it!  Goes for me too!  [emoji4] 
#4  The longer you're here the more you'll appreciate SOME of us that just mean well (which is most of us)
#5  It's been too long since we've spent time together, so we have to fix THAT!  [emoji4] 
#6  Happy Thanksgiving to you & Matthew!

Oh Rosey!! You're my fav!
I had to clarify because my phone was blowing up with notifications because I missed one word: "field" before strip.
The banter won't scare me off, I'm a little more thick skinned than that! In response to spending more quality time together, I'll only agree if it means busting clays!

And a happiest of thanksgivings to your beautiful wife and family and of course that fluffy kitten of yours![emoji76]

Love,
Rhi

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

#1 semantics: I did say strip and clean. I meant field strip. (My fault for not being clear and precise enough)

#2 I stand by at least learning every part in your firearm through the owner's manual, YT videos, watching someone experienced completely take apart a firearm of similar make/ model.

#3 I still stand by the fact that this knowledge will help you diagnose issues in the case of a malfunction.

#4 NO, I DID NOT suggest anyone fully disassemble their firearms regularly or start manipulating the parts.

#5 I'm sorry I wasn't clear or precise enough, I was just trying to contribute and think of different advice.

emoji2356.pngemoji2368.pngemoji111.png

Heaven forbid you might offer something useful, right?

Nitpickers are gonna pick, don't sweat the small stuff.

Oh, wait, you already posted that you are more thick-skinned than that. Kudos to ya.

This old curmudgeon is happy to get help from anyone who offers. If I suspect an error is being made, I can always ask for clarification without knocking he/she who shared it.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been said, but I would encourage all new shooters to get involved in Second Amendment activism.

The left love the First Amendment, but hate the Second.  We are in a constant battle with them to preserve our constitutionally protected right to own firearms.  Join the organizations that fight for us, stay informed on the issues (no better place to do so than NJGF), and be ready and willing to contact legislators, rally, write letters to newspapers, and do whatever it takes to protect the Second Amendment. 

• Like 3

@Ms. 12 Gauge don't take offense to anything I've said.  Whether your focus is busting clays, IDPA, USPSA, benchrest, bullseye, engaged in combat in the military, or being a well trained and informed LEO or citizen or any other form of shooting theres nothing wrong in any of that. 30 years from now it'll be you, the @High Exposures, @Purple Patricks, @Ray Rays, and others that will flaunt (usually rightfully) their experience.

I obviously take exception to someone who has been shooting a few years telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.  You are not one of them.

• Like 1

[mention=9497]Ms. 12 Gauge[/mention] don't take offense to anything I've said.  Whether your focus is busting clays, IDPA, USPSA, benchrest, bullseye, engaged in combat in the military, or being a well trained and informed LEO or citizen or any other form of shooting theres nothing wrong in any of that. 30 years from now it'll be you, the [mention=3967]High Exposure[/mention]s, [mention=5228]Purple Patrick[/mention]s, [mention=1265]Ray Ray[/mention]s, and others that will flaunt (usually rightfully) their experience.
I obviously take exception to someone who has been shooting a few years telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.  You are not one of them.

No worries, I have no one to blame but myself for not fully clarifying every word I wrote in my initial post. I was just trying to add some more basic advice since the entire thread was mostly going in one direction and perhaps new shooters could benefit from more than perspective.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

No worries, I have no one to blame but myself for not fully clarifying every word I wrote in my initial post. I was just trying to add some more basic advice since the entire thread was mostly going in one direction and perhaps new shooters could benefit from more than perspective.

How dare you completely derail the thread by omitting one word!  I am offended by your lack of clarity in each and every post. :p

I keep meaning to make up some kind of little pamphlet thing I can give to new shooters before I bring em out to the range - something that covers everything they need to know, so I don't miss covering anything.  One of these days, I'll restart/finish it.  And take some of the comments from this thread that apply to newbies using my guns and add em too.

• Like 3

How dare you completely derail the thread by omitting one word!  I am offended by your lack of clarity in each and every post. [emoji14]

I keep meaning to make up some kind of little pamphlet thing I can give to new shooters before I bring em out to the range - something that covers everything they need to know, so I don't miss covering anything.  One of these days, I'll restart/finish it.  And take some of the comments from this thread that apply to newbies using my guns and add em too.
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

4 hours ago, Malice4you said:

How dare you completely derail the thread by omitting one word!  I am offended by your lack of clarity in each and every post. :p

" little pamphlet thing"        "  covers everything they need to know"

I don't want to "omit" any words, so I have to carefully say I think these 2 phrases "contradict" each other.  

You probably need a hand truck or dolly to carry ( transport? ;) ) the paper version of what it would take to "cover everything".

I hope MY clarity doesn't offend. :p

7 hours ago, Malice4you said:

CNJFO tried doing the legal-eagle version of this just prior to the last election cycle.  I photographed models at GSSC in Lakewood, and we had most of the language down, and then the rug was pulled-out from under us when Kim lost and we knew we were going to be hit with a bunch of CRAP that would mean a complete re-write and be never-ending.  Or we'd rush to print it only to have it outdated before the ink could dry.

That all being said, if you can do the lay-out, we already have hi-res images to use for it.  With signed releases.  If we stick to gun handling & not laws, the end product will have a "shelf-life".  We'd pay for thousands of these to be printed so we could distribute them to the masses.  Interested?

Rosey

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

9 hours ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

One benefits from more than one perspective no matter who it comes from.  Whether it's right or wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 345Sire said:

" little pamphlet thing"        "  covers everything they need to know"

I don't want to "omit" any words, so I have to carefully say I think these 2 phrases "contradict" each other.  

You probably need a hand truck or dolly to carry ( transport? ;) ) the paper version of what it would take to "cover everything".

I hope MY clarity doesn't offend. :p

My thought was more 'everything they need to know: crash course' than every technical detail. Think basics that cover what someone who has never held a gun would need to get started, without an overload of text and info that would just cause em to shut down. Pretty much the basic things you would tell someone bringing em to the range on the ride over/once you get there, so if I forget something, it was already covered. My problem, perhaps slightly less so than a certain member here, is that I do tend to be a tad verbose, so a single double-sided 8.5x11 could easily become a small book, defeating the purpose...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

CNJFO tried doing the legal-eagle version of this just prior to the last election cycle.  I photographed models at GSSC in Lakewood, and we had most of the language down, and then the rug was pulled-out from under us when Kim lost and we knew we were going to be hit with a bunch of CRAP that would mean a complete re-write and be never-ending.  Or we'd rush to print it only to have it outdated before the ink could dry.

That all being said, if you can do the lay-out, we already have hi-res images to use for it.  With signed releases.  If we stick to gun handling & not laws, the end product will have a "shelf-life".  We'd pay for thousands of these to be printed so we could distribute them to the masses.  Interested?

Rosey

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

I would certainly be interested in taking a shot, assuming copy is already written. I am certain it would be much better than anything I have written up myself, since I am no expert.

I'll PM you in a moment

• Like 1

[mention=9497]Ms. 12 Gauge[/mention] don't take offense to anything I've said.  Whether your focus is busting clays, IDPA, USPSA, benchrest, bullseye, engaged in combat in the military, or being a well trained and informed LEO or citizen or any other form of shooting theres nothing wrong in any of that. 30 years from now it'll be you, the [mention=3967]High Exposure[/mention]s, [mention=5228]Purple Patrick[/mention]s, [mention=1265]Ray Ray[/mention]s, and others that will flaunt (usually rightfully) their experience.

Ray and HE are old enough to be my dad... or I'm young enough to be their son

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I would certainly be interested in taking a shot, assuming copy is already written. I am certain it would be much better than anything I have written up myself, since I am no expert.

I'll PM you in a moment

Our original project dealt with "How to get a Firearm, the Steps to Ownership", so it was basically a how-to pamphlet for first time gun buyers, NOT a safety brochure.  So what we have now is a volume of outdated laws/rules that are summarized so as to avoid obvious pitfalls, such as mag capacities, transportation, buying ammo, and transportation/possession of hollow points and the like.  Something a Pink Card Holder can hand a prospective gun owner that can only drool on the glass gun cases since they still have to apply for their "Permission Slips".  Our pamphlet was designed to be an informative "counter card" that a Pink Card Holder could give to a person with a thousand questions on a Saturday morning when the gun counter is backed-up 3-4 deep.

So we don't have "copy" ready to drop-in to a tri-fold or quad-fold (legal size paper) hand-out.  We do have a few folks that can write (when they're not busy doing everything else it takes to run this organization) so maybe we should have a meeting to discuss just what YOU want to do so I know how best we can help.  We even have a connection to a Printer who already volunteers for us :) .  

7 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Besides, its "Perfect practice makes perfect."

Incorrect repetitions will ingrain incorrect habits.

Actually @High Exposure Says practice makes permanent.. along your same phrasing. I jus have a hard time with accurate wisdom retention..

:D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Malice4you said:

My thought was more 'everything they need to know: crash course' than every technical detail. Think basics that cover what someone who has never held a gun would need to get started, without an overload of text and info that would just cause em to shut down. Pretty much the basic things you would tell someone bringing em to the range on the ride over/once you get there, so if I forget something, it was already covered. My problem, perhaps slightly less so than a certain member here, is that I do tend to be a tad verbose, so a single double-sided 8.5x11 could easily become a small book, defeating the purpose...

I think I actually got tat from your earlier statement, but "I wuzz inna mood" from the US not so united thread, and was blowing off a little steam trying to be funny. Your phrasing of omitting and offending seemed good candidates for a bit of goofing off on my part. 

I'd apologize, but I'm pretty sure you don't feel a need for me to, as I'm relatively sure, having read you a bit here, you didn't take offense. 

If I'm mistaken, then yes, I am truly sorry.

• Like 1

Just saying, Im very happy this thread got some traction, its good for us its good for everyone, alot of people are afraid to ask questions, and Im sure what one is thinking there are a least a dozen wondering the same thing.. In the future there is a great thread out there that started on another site, that discusses armed encounters, that is probably one of them most informative threads Ive ever read. Based on real life personal encounters, with alot of LEO chiming in. 

Happy thanksgiving everyone, always keep your powder dry.

Its up to all of us to do our part. we all have to roll this boat.

I dont know if the above pic with the female holding her target is a new or experienced shooter, but i found especially with new shooters those targets are great they provide instant feedback, and a huge smile from a new shooter, as they need early and constant encouragement. I always teach any new shooter on a target like that.

45 minutes ago, revenger said:

Don't think anyone mentioned the most important tip for new gun owners and that is to VOTE accordingly,   without doing that first  all other "tips" are moot.    

Still think your vote means something, do ya?