70gto

Tips for new gun owners or anybody else

I'm a new gun owner and from reading this board and other's, watching videos online and reading articles- don't be afraid to ask for help!  People on this board and others are very ready to help and pass on their experience.  Take advantage of it.  Also, out of winter boredom, I practice field stripping my guns multiple times, including cleaning before firing first time.  I did this because I wanted to see what the main parts looked like new and have a reference point in regards to wear and tear, etc. 

I also explained to my kids how to behave around guns and to follow the rules of gun ownership.  Over Christmas, we wen't to someone's house who shamefully had a loaded gun sitting on a nightstand.  My two kids were wandering through the house, saw it, and immediately knew to treat it like it was loaded, don't touch it and to come find a parent immediately.  My older boy took the lead and found me immediately.  I was never prouder of him for keeping his younger sister out of trouble and he had an extra "good" Christmas this year.  :-)

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 11:17 AM, Smokin .50 said:

It's called a HAND GUN, not a HANDS gun! 

After you learn the ways of pistol craft using both hands, consider this:  If you are injured in a scuffle or a firefight, or you are carrying a child for instance, you might have to use WEAK HAND ONLY to take-out a Perp.  If you don't have what it takes to DO THAT for any reason (poor mindset, too much recoil, stove-pipes every other shot, lack of practice, etc., etc.), your hand gun w/ its' 10 round mag (or 20+ in a Free America 9mm 2011 for instance) has become a SINGLE-SHOT, so the first round better hit the Boiler Room!  WTF did he just type?  Read on!

Let me repeat that:  Your semi-auto pistol has become a single-shot due to a malfunction caused by poor recoil management due to stress or already being hit with a piece of pipe or you took a round to your strong side or a hundred other things that can happen.  Do you know how to perform a Tap-Rack-Bang Drill?  Do you even know what it IS?  Can you shoot your defensive hand gun employing WEAK HAND ONLY?  If the answer is "no" then you have to either practice a LOT & up your game or go buy a revolver!

You have to PAY for this type of training.  You can't teach it to yourself standing in a static shooting port.  You either go to a Firearms Class that teaches advanced fighting techniques OR you learn thru osmosis by attending IDPA matches that will teach you to USE COVER WHILE ENGAGING!

I teach weak hand technique on a monthly basis as Match Director of the OBRPC Police Pistol Combat league.  You don't have to be a Cop to shoot the league, in fact a non-member of the Club can shoot it for just $20 American.  We draw loaded sidearms from the holster, engage threats from 7 to 25 yards, and work on several shooting positions, some of which are behind cover.  It's positive reinforcement of learned skill sets needed for all types of "action shooting".  Learning to walk before you run :) 

We meet at the indoor range on the 2nd Friday of every month.  Consider this an invitation.  Just let me know you're coming.

Rosey

I can shoot equally well with both hands as that is how I was trained.  Then again, I hit over 400 from both sides of the plate and was a lefty until 9.:):)

seriously though, could not agree more in that people need to be proficient with both hands and learn how to shoot with just one hand and in different positions.  I personally like the way the Israelis used to teach it and that is how I learned when I was younger.

Rosey, where is this at every 2nd Friday?