myhatinthering

article on best 9s of all time

lol...only intended to bring the article up for discussion on their choices really.  I think the caliber debate is already settled with modern powders and FBI ballistics and US Army report on wounds.

I find their choices to be good ones only I'd of included the walther p88 and the tokarev

5 best?  In terms of what?

If it was significance to gun industry, yes, would agree.

But best from shooting and commercial success?  I would have an issue with the HK VP70 and P38.

It is tough to argue the significance of the Luger, BHP, Beretta 92 or the Glock 17.

I would probably add the HK P7 PSP to that list and would easily prefer it over the VP70.

29 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

This article claims these are the 5 best 9mm handguns on the planet.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/meet-5-best-9mm-handguns-planet-36432

that writer should be that writer should be embarrassed, you don't pick 3 handguns with a life of less than three years and claim that they are part of the best ever. I'm absolutely going to agree with the Glock just in terms of shears numbers in use reliability and other variables but the Sig the Smith & Wesson and the Heckler LOL

25 minutes ago, Maksim said:

5 best?  In terms of what?

If it was significance to gun industry, yes, would agree.

But best from shooting and commercial success?  I would have an issue with the HK VP70 and P38.

It is tough to argue the significance of the Luger, BHP, Beretta 92 or the Glock 17.

I would probably add the HK P7 PSP to that list and would easily prefer it over the VP70.

did you read the did you read the article? They gave the reasoning why and hard to argue against it actually.

did you read the did you read the article? They gave the reasoning why and hard to argue against it actually.

I read it... and it is very easy to argue. The list is opinion.

I personally believe that something along the lines of the P320 is way more influential that one or two of those pistols. It isn’t the first modular pistol... but likely going to be a standard from here forward.

Sorry, but just because someone takes the time to write their opinion that X pistols are the “best” or “most influential” does not make it so. Maksim’s opinion is probably just as “right” as the author’s.

9 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I read it... and it is very easy to argue. The list is opinion.

I personally believe that something along the lines of the P320 is way more influential that one or two of those pistols. It isn’t the first modular pistol... but likely going to be a standard from here forward.

Sorry, but just because someone takes the time to write their opinion that X pistols are the “best” or “most influential” does not make it so. Maksim’s opinion is probably just as “right” as the author’s.

disagree, the first true poly pistol that was both reliable and economical is nothing to sneeze at.  Can't include a p320, no real time under it's belt and we've already seen issues with them

disagree, the first true poly pistol that was both reliable and economical is nothing to sneeze at.  Can't include a p320, no real time under it's belt and we've already seen issues with them

That’s fine.

There is no standard of “most influential,” so your view just lines up with his. Myself, and it seems Maksim, disagree. Can’t fault us for seeing things different from you or that author.

Sorry, but you can’t argue to be right with an opinion based statement.

4 minutes ago, Screwball said:

That’s fine.

There is no standard of “most influential,” so your view just lines up with his. Myself, and it seems Maksim, disagree. Can’t fault us for seeing things different from you or that author.

Sorry, but you can’t argue to be right with an opinion based statement.

I hear you but that's not the case.  One can certainly make a case for all but one of his choices based on service record, innovation, numbers sold, longevity etc etc.  either way, it's a fun piece to discuss is all which is why I said I might have included the walther p88 and or the Tokarev

to be honest, I most likely wouldn't have included the luger given it's poor performance and complexity to build

37 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

I hear you but that's not the case.  One can certainly make a case for all but one of his choices based on service record, innovation, numbers sold, longevity etc etc.  either way, it's a fun piece to discuss is all which is why I said I might have included the walther p88 and or the Tokarev

to be honest, I most likely wouldn't have included the luger given it's poor performance and complexity to build

I don't have an issue with the pistols, but putting it on the "best" list... does not justify it per say... I will agree that those guns were ALL highly important to the development, but I would hardly call them "Best"...

I love my BHP's... and it was the first "high capacity" gun... but it was easily outclassed by more modern guns which were far better, nicer to shoot.  What the BHP STILL has going for it is the thin profile.

Same with The 92 and the CZ75... both were overshadowed.

So I would have 0 issues if they called the list "5 Most Influential 9mm Handguns"... but picking those 5 for best 9mm, simply due to their influence is just wrong.  I hardly see people shooting those guns at the range except the Glock 17.

Just to add to this, while I have zero experience with the P38... I do with the BHPs, and others.

The BHP is a great gun today from the "collectors" point of view.  As a new gun today... it has issues with ergonoics very well known for slide bite.  It has relatively low capacity and out of the box, a HORRIBLE trigger that is gritty and heavy, even as a SA gun.  And that tiny safety? Yikes.

CZ75 same story.  It has over the years become a terrific gun but still with a few issues.

Beretta 92?  Same story.

So all of those guns are quite influential, but non are the best sellers... except Glock 17 but of course we are on the 5th generation of that. =)

If they were such great 9mm's at least some on that list, why aren't they made anymore?

The 1911 is easily one of the best .45's, AND it's still in production today with a few alterations from the original. 

It's not a bad list, but if your going to make a "best 9mm of all time" you would probably want to pick something that is still being produced because it is the "best".

14 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

If they were such great 9mm's at least some on that list, why aren't they made anymore?

The 1911 is easily one of the best .45's, AND it's still in production today with a few alterations from the original. 

It's not a bad list, but if your going to make a "best 9mm of all time" you would probably want to pick something that is still being produced because it is the "best".

Even as someone from the "soviet union"... I concur... "best" handgun of all time, the 1911!  SO MUCH WIN in the gun.  Ergonomics, ease of use. everything.

1 hour ago, myhatinthering said:

Luger is on the list because, well, it's a Luger.  The great great grandpa of 9mm semis.  Not because it was fantastic.  My dad had a chance to bring one back from Austria but he traded it for a Beretta something or other.  Hmm... German jam-o-matic or Italian beauty, he made a good decision from a technical standpoint, maybe no so much financial.

If you know the guns on that list, then you know that JM Browning influenced over half of them.  The BHP is probably the most aped gun on that list.  Maybe not the entire pistol, but many of the mechanical and design elements were used in other pistols like the CZ-75 

Despite the Luger being the archetype 9mm. in my opinion, the BHP was the most influential of them all.  It was probably the most copied, at least up until the CZ-75, and even that one is at least half a BHP.

As far as ergonomics and hand bite, meh.  Back then men were men and a little cut like that tickled.