Mrs. Peel

Big Thanks to "Bully" for Cherry Ridge Range Session!!

I played hooky today (something I rarely do)… and oh, what fun it was! Fellow poster @Bullywas kind enough to guest me in at Cherry Ridge. He barely got in any shooting at all because I rudely commandeered his .223. Seriously, the poor guy barely took a shot. ;).

Observations:

• Bully, like so many shooters, is a VERY generous and indulgent person! And he has one of those calm demeanors that's perfect for instruction.  A big thumbs up for my newest "range buddy". :D
  • Cherry Ridge is a gorgeous range. I had been there MANY years ago - for a ladies event (only my 2nd time ever shooting a gun) - but I had forgotten just how nice of a range it was. I'm only sorry it's soooo far from me - an hour and 40 minutes! Ugh. So, I'd be better off heading west into PA. But, if I lived within an hour, I'd be all over that place! And we had nice weather today - almost no breeze - temps not too bad either. And there's just something about shooting in the great outdoors that's heads and shoulders above an indoor range... IMO anyway.
  • That said... though I'm a decent shot, wow... am I ever a piss-poor outdoorswoman! LOL. Example: I wore these smooth bottom sneakers. (What a moron! A lot of areas around the shooting benches were snow-covered... I'm lucky I didn't fall on my ass). So, in addition to firearms, I will need to get more appropriate footwear, clothing, etc. Lesson learned! (Frankly, I was always more the museum/theater type - this outdoorsy stuff is a brave new world for me - but life is all about embracing new sides of yourself). 
  • I'm soooo hooked on the rifle thing... like a crack whore! OMG!!! Bully and I both agree - there is something uniquely addictive about shooting a rifle, especially a bolt action. It's calming yet exhilarating at the same time! I had a hint of my new addiction after shooting light rifles several months back with @Malice4you…but now, after this session today, I know this is the platform that will gobble up the lion's share of my future investment in this hobby. I'll be starting with a light rifle in .22lr and probably not waiting too long after that to get something high-powered. My research begins in earnest starting today. (Any excuse to shop!! :))

So, fun- fun- FUN... thanks again, Bully!

• Like 5

Glad you had fun, and have reinforced what you were saying at the end of our range day about wanting a bolt gun.  @Bully very generous of you to offer up your rifle(s?) yet again - kudos for that.

So, this week might have some good deals on something like the Ruger Precision Rimfire, which I think might be one of the best options for you, due to length of pull adjustments.  Don't forget about the thread on rifles from months back - might be time for a revisit to see what you might want to be looking for.

Also, keep in mind this coming week is also likely to be a lot of good sales on scopes or other accessories you might be looking for.  I have become a huge fan of fixed zoom scopes, but you seemed to like to be able to zoom to help find targets.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Where’s the “ recommendations for bolt action thread”:D

I did my part last time...

Biggest issue she likely will face is finding a stock that will fit her on a stock gun at a reasonable price.  I dunno how serious she wants to go into a precision bolt gun - but I dunno how many of the precision setups are available in short LOP unless they have a [typically] expensive fully adjustable stock setup.  If going to an aftermarket stock, or having one modified for her, there is extra cost in that too, though possibly less so than going fully-adjustable. 

Most of the fully adjustable stock factory rifles I have seen are $900+, before even factoring in optics, rings, bipod, spare mag, stocking up on a new, more expensive caliber, etc.

There are Savages, Rugers, Remingtons, and plenty of others that are serious shooters out of the box, and I hope that finding a rifle that fits her body and budget is a hurdle easily overcome.

Course, we still gotta get her to get a precision rimfire first...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Biggest issue she likely will face is finding a stock that will fit her on a stock gun at a reasonable price

You hit the nail on the head suggesting a Ruger Precision Rimfire.  Best value for under $400.

Ruger also makes the American Rimfire, which comes with a somewhat  adjustable stock.It uses some sort of insert system.  The compact version is available in muddy girl too.

• Like 1

Glad to read all of this & excited to learn Peel is expanding her horizons once more.  @Malice4you & @Bully you've infected this poor woman!  Peel is really INFECTED now!

Peel if you're looking for a .22LR precision bolt, consider a youth model as they already come with a shorter stock.  Some models come with spacers so as kids grow, they don't outgrow their investment.  These same spacers will help to customize the LOP to your requirements.  If you'd like to "try before you buy", I can make a call to get you invited to our Youth Smallbore league to try a smaller-stocked rifle.  The kids meet for practice on Thursday nights.  Rifles are set-up with peep sights, but getting the "fit" down is easily accomplished since the kids use them for "3-P" (3-position:  standling, sitting, prone).  In any event, I can have a Youth League Coach (a volunteer) measure your LOP so you know what will fit when you shop :) 

Rosey

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

I did my part last time...

Biggest issue she likely will face is finding a stock that will fit her on a stock gun at a reasonable price.  I dunno how serious she wants to go into a precision bolt gun - but I dunno how many of the precision setups are available in short LOP unless they have a [typically] expensive fully adjustable stock setup.  If going to an aftermarket stock, or having one modified for her, there is extra cost in that too, though possibly less so than going fully-adjustable. 

Most of the fully adjustable stock factory rifles I have seen are $900+, before even factoring in optics, rings, bipod, spare mag, stocking up on a new, more expensive caliber, etc.

There are Savages, Rugers, Remingtons, and plenty of others that are serious shooters out of the box, and I hope that finding a rifle that fits her body and budget is a hurdle easily overcome.

Course, we still gotta get her to get a precision rimfire first...

Well if it’s wood I can ...

oh nevermind

48 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

You hit the nail on the head suggesting a Ruger Precision Rimfire.  Best value for under $400.

Ruger also makes the American Rimfire, which comes with a somewhat  adjustable stock.It uses some sort of insert system.  The compact version is available in muddy girl too.

@Mrs. Peel that’s value

13 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I played hooky today (something I rarely do)… and oh, what fun it was! Fellow poster @Bullywas kind enough to guest me in at Cherry Ridge. He barely got in any shooting at all because I rudely commandeered his .223. Seriously, the poor guy barely took a shot. ;).

Observations:

• Bully, like so many shooters, is a VERY generous and indulgent person! And he has one of those calm demeanors that's perfect for instruction.  A big thumbs up for my newest "range buddy". :D
  • Cherry Ridge is a gorgeous range. I had been there MANY years ago - for a ladies event (only my 2nd time ever shooting a gun) - but I had forgotten just how nice of a range it was. I'm only sorry it's soooo far from me - an hour and 40 minutes! Ugh. So, I'd be better off heading west into PA. But, if I lived within an hour, I'd be all over that place! And we had nice weather today - almost no breeze - temps not too bad either. And there's just something about shooting in the great outdoors that's heads and shoulders above an indoor range... IMO anyway.
  • That said... though I'm a decent shot, wow... am I ever a piss-poor outdoorswoman! LOL. Example: I wore these smooth bottom sneakers. (What a moron! A lot of areas around the shooting benches were snow-covered... I'm lucky I didn't fall on my ass). So, in addition to firearms, I will need to get more appropriate footwear, clothing, etc. Lesson learned! (Frankly, I was always more the museum/theater type - this outdoorsy stuff is a brave new world for me - but life is all about embracing new sides of yourself). 
  • I'm soooo hooked on the rifle thing... like a crack whore! OMG!!! Bully and I both agree - there is something uniquely addictive about shooting a rifle, especially a bolt action. It's calming yet exhilarating at the same time! I had a hint of my new addiction after shooting light rifles several months back with @Malice4you…but now, after this session today, I know this is the platform that will gobble up the lion's share of my future investment in this hobby. I'll be starting with a light rifle in .22lr and probably not waiting too long after that to get something high-powered. My research begins in earnest starting today. (Any excuse to shop!! :))

So, fun- fun- FUN... thanks again, Bully!

Shhhhhhh  cherry ridge sucks......  dont you know that?

The range officers are rude, its outside etc....

:)

Being ten min away has its advantages....  

• Like 1

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/787505264

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789554566

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790368652

My recommendations after a quick GB search.  There are more out there including Bergara and Howa that are reasonably priced.  However out of the box, I'm a Savage fan even tho I don't own any (currently).  Awesome shooters and easy to fuss with with minimal tools.  

Not that anyone asked...