Bt Doctur

Best WMA for squirrels

8 minutes ago, this_is_nascar said:

Same here. I'd try to eat one, but everything I've read says they're "earthy" tasting.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Squirrel is not earthy or gamey at all.  It has a very mild flavor.

• Like 1

Squirrel is great if you know what you are doing. If this is your fist time I recommend par boiling first, then rolling in flour, egg and bread crumbs and frying. The last time we made this in hunting camp I had no bread crumbs so I crushed some pretzels and used them - delicious!

In NJ I hunt them at  Alexauken Creek WMA using a pellet rifle. They are a little thin this year as we have not had a lot of acorns (which the old-timers tell me means we will have a dry, cold winter). 

• Like 2

Growing up in Sayerville I could always count on a few for dinner. but that was before the housing .

Cleaned and washed them, Mom would put them in a small roasting pot with the potatoes ans carrots and a bit of water. Simmer until tender. Most developments have a no discharge law on the books.The Pigeon Swamp has produced none so far and I think the hawks have have a impact. 

Went there to scout it out in the summer , not a bad area either.

Mmmmmmm tree chicken! Tasty stuff. 

On 11/21/2018 at 7:43 AM, Grapeshot said:

Squirrel is great if you know what you are doing. If this is your fist time I recommend par boiling first, then rolling in flour, egg and bread crumbs and frying. The last time we made this in hunting camp I had no bread crumbs so I crushed some pretzels and used them - delicious!

In NJ I hunt them at  Alexauken Creek WMA using a pellet rifle. They are a little thin this year as we have not had a lot of acorns (which the old-timers tell me means we will have a dry, cold winter). 

That’s how you do it!!

There is plenty of grey and red squirrel up here. Warm dry spring with a ton of acorns avalable so now we had a record amount of squirrels up here. There is at least one dead on every mile of road it seems like