Several weeks ago I purchased a pristine Model 27-2, blued with an 8 3/8” barrel, presentation case, tools and docs, from a member of the S&W Forum.

The interval between purchase and arrival at my FFL spanned a weekend. My weekends are taken up with shooting IDPA or USPSA. This particular weekend it was an IDPA match. A gentleman in our squad was shooting PCC – the first I had seen anybody shooting in this division. I thought that looked pretty cool, but also thought it kind of cost prohibitive to put together a PCC on an AR platform like he was using.

Then I remembered a conversation I had with my gunsmith a month or so before. He was showing me his PCC – a Ruger PC Carbine – and extolling its virtues. My gunsmith isn’t just a smith, he is also a Grand Master in IDPA, USPSA and ICORE, so when he talks, I listen.

With that in mind, I started thinking about the Ruger as a means of inexpensive entry into the PCC Division. I started researching prices and found a LGS with a very good price, but still just a little bit more than I wanted to pay, at the moment.

So the day came when my 27-2 arrived at my FFL. He is a semi-retired LEO and runs a small store out of the basement of his house (aren’t they always the best kind?) After completing the paperwork for the 27-2 I just casually asked him to quote me a price on a Ruger PCC. I was really surprised when he came back to me with a price significantly less than the LGS had them for – so I had him order me one – what else could I do?

So the Ruger comes in and last night I trek over to his house to pick it up. I walk in the door and there is somebody sitting in front of the desk, waiting for his NICS to come back. In front of him there is a S&W box and to the left of that, a stainless S&W revolver. It took me a moment to realize that the box was brand new and the revolver wasn’t. So after inquiring if the revolver was what he bought, and getting a reply in the negative, I picked it up to examine it. It was a 625-3 with the 3” barrel. It still had the original Pachmayr Gripper grips on it. It was in excellent shape. The wheels started turning – let’s see, first the 27-2, then the Ruger – do I really want to spend even more on this 625-3? I figured it was a moot point because I was sure that he’d want much more than I’d be willing to spend, so I said, “I’m not even going to ask.”

I completed my paperwork and was preparing to go, I took one last look at it and said, “OK, you got me, how much?” You know that cliché about spraining your shoulder by reaching for your wallet too fast? That was me. He quoted me a price lower than I’ve paid for any N-frame in the last ten years – and I’ve stolen some. Hooked. Since this is NJ, it remains at my dealer until the 30 days from my purchase of the 27-2 are past, but then it comes home.

I now have three 25’s (25-2/6.5”, 25-13MG/4”, 25-14/3”) and three 625’s (625-2/5”, 625-8PC/4”, and now a 625-3/3”) and one 325PD in 2.75”. There is nothing like an N-frame in .45 ACP (and before somebody jumps on me and says the 25-13 is a Colt, not an ACP – I’ve had TK perform his magic on it, so it’s both).

I’m almost afraid to find out what “bait” my FFL will have laying around when I go in to pick-up the 625-3 – when will it end? (Never, if I’m lucky).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Great read.  Sometimes the time to buy is NOW.  I am sure we will be seeing these wonderful revolvers in picture form.

For older, out of production guns, which would be considered "classics," without a doubt should always pick up if available.