Sign in to follow this  
DPNJ

JHP Ammo

Im reading that when it comes to self-defense and home protection , JHP, are the way to go. In the few stores ive gone to i just see FMJ, which ill shoot no problem at the range but I was wondering if any of you have come across JHP, possibly even FMJ +p. Please let me know what stores if any, Ive been to Cheyenne Outfitters(formerly Harry's Army Navy), they only had FMJ 115gr and 124gr, same thing with its neighbor Sportsman Center. Note: I need 9mm

Thanks

You can't use JHP for self defense in NJ. Its a crime to shoot a criminal with JHP in this state unless your a cop. You can buy them and use them at the range but not for self-defense. You have to risk over penetration and multiple shots in this back a$$wards state. The prosecution would claim you meant to do excessive harm to the person you shot :roll:

TC

Federal makes an Expanding full metal jacket. Great for home defense. It has silicone in the tip then covered by a copper jacket. They expand like JHP but are technically stil FMJ. Plus there also cheaper and come in boxes of 50 so you can run some through to make sure you have no FTF issues.

In the .38 I carry semi jacketed hollows, usually Winchester silver tipped.

In the .9mm its jacketed hollows, usually Federal Hydra Shox.

For playing at the range, its jacketed ball. Hollows are just too expensive for plinking. However, its always brass.

It is unlawful to knowingly have in one's possession ''any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet." Nothing in this prohibition shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, or while engaged in activities covered by paragraphs 3, 4, and 5 above under the Exceptions to the Permit to Carry or FID requirement. Except for a federally licensed collector, it is unlawful to possess armor piercing ammunition.

That is off the NRA-ILA Website