Vicious

Sent Back My Beretta M9 Langdon

So I recently acquired a Beretta M9 Langdon Special Edition. I was in love with the pistol, ordered one online and couldn't wait to get it home.

Upon my brief inspection (pressed for time) at my FFL everything looked ok. TBH I never saw any glaring issues on a pistol that caused me to refuse it, so I am not that cautious.

The next day I disassembled it to give it a wipe down, and i noticed some areas where the frame was chipping. I know rubbing is normal with steel/ steel (or steel/aluminum in this case), but the small chips caught my attention. Furthermore, the barrel had a large spot of missing finish near the muzzle. That was just sloppy. The last thing I noticed is that the barrel had ridges on the top. That may be normal, but this would be the first barrel where I noticed inconsistent "bumps" on the top of it.

The last thing I mentioned was purely cosmetic, which was the extractor pin stake mark on the slide. Total rush job. Didn't really care, as the slide appeared to be fine otherwise.

I contacted Beretta and expressed my concerns. I was instructed to send pics, so I did. The tech. said it appeared to be normal wear, but if I was still concerned I could send it in.

Being pretty anal I sent it in. They had it about a week and then I received a call that they need an FFL as they are replacing the pistol. I didn't really inquire as to why, so I kind of can't wait to see what the note says that accompanies the new pistol.

Just wanted to share my experience. I haven't received the new pistol yet.

Hard to see in the pics, but the circled areas (except for barrel/ muzzle) are chips, not scrapes or gouges. I recovered loose pieces of aluminum floating around in the gun upon first disassembly.

Front Frame Additional View.jpg

Front Frame Chipping.jpg

Muzzle Wear.jpg

Top Frame Alternate View.jpg

Top Frame Chipping.jpg

12 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Surprised the QC was so bad.

Question, if they are replacing the gun, does that mean you have to use another permit?

Yes. The frame will have a different serial number, so a new permit will be needed. 

12 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

more importantly, what ffl didn't inspect and let it go out like that?

Most FFL's don't do an in depth inspection on all the firearms that pass thru their shop. Especially brand new firearms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondd817 said:

Yes. The frame will have a different serial number, so a new permit will be needed. 

Most FFL's don't do an in depth inspection on all the firearms that pass thru their shop. Especially brand new firearms.

mine does because he's stuck with it if he doesn't and I see this:)

16 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Surprised the QC was so bad.

Question, if they are replacing the gun, does that mean you have to use another permit?

If it’s a new frame with new serial number then yes. 

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

If it’s a new frame with new serial number then yes. 

If it's a new frame, it will be a new serial number. Can't transfer serial number to a new frame. It's illegal to do so as I've been told by the manufacturer, I have been through this.

2 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

If it's a new frame, it will be a new serial number. Can't transfer serial number to a new frame. It's illegal to do so as I've been told by the manufacturer, I have been through this.

Yes that’s what I’m saying. If you get a new frame with a new serial number you will need another permit.  

Yep, new pistol, new permit.

I have never had an FFL inspect a pistol I was buying. 

I have been given new guns that had only been opened to check that th s/n matches the one on the box.

I don’t really hold any FFL accountable here, it was my job to inspect it. I was just surprised that it left Beretta.

That being said, they appear to be making this right. Any company can put a lemon out there, but a company shines when they stand behind there product.