Zeke

Porkroll vs spam

14 minutes ago, Zeke said:

You realize it’s scrapple without cornbread 

Spam is pork shoulder. It doesn’t have the livers, pancreas, and snouts that Scrapple has. 

That being said, a fried Spam sandwich is divine! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@10X you know what I’m talking bout!

spam is better! Bar none!

discuss

How’d I get dragged into this?  I don’t eat either one.   My unhealthy pork product guilty pleasure is bacon. 

19 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Hmmm, if faced with eating some unknown pork product from a can like this:

237547895.jpg

I think I would gamble and try this stuff that the pup eats instead:

alpo-sample.png

Certainly seems more edible then that Spam stuff....

Judging by the pic, that ain't Spam! Spam is in a rectangular can and no matter how you cut it. There are no perfectly rounded sides. I don't know what you have  there!

images.jpg

3 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Judging by the pic, that ain't Spam! Spam is in a rectangular can and no matter how you cut it. There are no perfectly rounded sides. I don't know what you have  there!

images.jpg

Yeah, like the problem with Spam is geometry.   “Oh!  This is tasty, but those acute angles!”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fishnut said:

When in Hawaii spam is king but that's because those kooky Samoans haven't had pork roll 

With that said I love pork roll and am indifferent to spam. 

When I was at the military academy, we had Spam at least three times a week for breakfast.  The Spam we had was not the loosely packed crumbly canned Spam, it was more like a thick sliced lunch meat, griddle fried in what was probably lard .  It was better than scrapple, pork roll or spam in a can.  It was actual spiced ham, not the WW2 K-Rat in a can version.

Spam is just another spiced ham product but cant be called spiced ham because like taylor ham, it's not all ham.  I seriously doubt the spiced ham we had at the academy was  all ham either.

I mean seriously. an actual ham looks noting like spiced ham, or pork roll, or Spam for that matter.

• Like 1

Fried spam with Gulden's sicy mustard on an egg bagel is exceptional, but a double Case's porkroll with egg and cheese on an Italian hard roll is Heavenly! And do you people scrape off the gelatin on the ends of the spam, or fry it with the end slices?

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Apparently, you're not a Spam expert. It's called a Spam single, a single wrapped slice, not from a can.

237547894.jpg

https://www.spam.com/varieties/spam-single-classic

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Thank you! I was not aware it came in that form. I will never give up the can though. Just used to it! Somehow in one big slab it just does not look as yummy!

Sadly, in ANY form, it doesn't look edible to me or "yummy"...

Now, if you're going to pack pork by-products into a foreign container (besides the one it originally came in), at least this one is more palatable.

taylor-ham-pork-roll-3-lb-roll.aedfd3630

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I ate SOS on ship many times in the Navy but I still like creamed chipped beef of toast!

Dried beef is like $18 to $22 per pound. how was it that this fed people throughout the Great Depression?!

I dry ham in the oven and freeze it for later use to make creamed dried ham.  I use my grandmother's depression era recipe for creamed dried beef .  It would be nice to use dried beef but fuck if I will spend that kind of money on thinly sliced meat in a jar.

One of these days I'm going to try it with prosciutto and portobello mushrooms over toasted semolina bread. Everything tastes better when it's Italian. ;)

• Like 1