Sign in to follow this  
bennj

Apex spring kit

Good evening,

I have a S&W 642, and am aware of the reasons for a DOA pull of 12+ lbs. I am looking at lightening it some by installing the Apex spring kit. I have read the reviews and watched the videos but am curious to know if anyone here has done this, and what your thoughts are.

Thanks 

Cleans up the trigger, and haven’t had any issues. This includes .38s, as well as the 9mm that I converted my 642-1 over to. Used to come with an extended firing pin... don’t know if it still does (I got mine when they first came out with them).

If you do it, remove the side plate correctly (tap the grip, don’t force it out). Also, I’d recommend spending the money and getting a rebound spring tool. Just makes the entire thing easier to do. You might find a gunsmith to do it locally, but being able to go into the frame, while rarely needed, is a good thing to be comfortable with.

9 hours ago, bennj said:

Good evening,

I have a S&W 642, and am aware of the reasons for a DOA pull of 12+ lbs. I am looking at lightening it some by installing the Apex spring kit. I have read the reviews and watched the videos but am curious to know if anyone here has done this, and what your thoughts are.

Thanks 

I did it. Here is the thread I started about it:

4 yrs later and still no issues with the kit.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Screwball, the kit still includes the extended pin. I took the sideplate off when I got it.

Griz, I'm with you on it being an SD gun, I've never gone past 10 yds. max, but it's not uncomfortable to shootas long as I keep a good grip on it, just think it'd be better if a few lbs. lighter.

Diamond817, glad you haven't had any issues with the install but would like to hear the rest of the story.

Thanks again guys

5 hours ago, bennj said:

Screwball, the kit still includes the extended pin. I took the sideplate off when I got it.

Griz, I'm with you on it being an SD gun, I've never gone past 10 yds. max, but it's not uncomfortable to shootas long as I keep a good grip on it, just think it'd be better if a few lbs. lighter.

Diamond817, glad you haven't had any issues with the install but would like to hear the rest of the story.

Thanks again guys

@bennj what kind of grips do you have on the gun?  The standard boot grips?

1 hour ago, bennj said:

Griz,

I have the standard boot grips that came with it. Feel comfortable enough, but I did add a strip of talon grip material along the backstrap. I also cross my support thumb under where the hammer would be, over my strong hand .

Boot grips suck IMO.   Get Pachmyr Compacts or Hogue. They go a long way in helping you control recoil.  Yes they make the gun a wee bit bigger which is only important if you're trying to fit the gun in a specific size box.

Ammo selection is important.  I'm not a fan of +P in a J frame.  My favorite J frame load is a factory148 HBWC or an equivalent reload.  Low recoil, easy to control, easy on you and gun, accurate and the bullet is already in an efficient shape.

I used to shoot a 640 at a 12x20 IPSC metal target at 100 yds.  After a sighter shot or two I could ding that target until I got tired.  That was with a 12 pound trigger.

There are many factors that influence control and accuracy.  Springs in a revolver influence reliability,  functioning and trigger pull.  You can have two but not all three.  Factory revolvers balance out all three issues.

Try locking your support thumb on top of your strong side thumb.

JMO

On 11/25/2018 at 11:39 PM, GRIZ said:

Swapping springs in a J frame is pretty easy.  However a 642 is really a SD gun.  I'd leave it as it is and work on building up the muscle in your hands and fingers.

JMO

Agreed 100%

Leave it as is.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 9:20 PM, bennj said:

Thanks again guys

There is nothing more to the story. The gun is 100% reliable but it's just a difficult gun to shoot accurately. 

8 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

There is nothing more to the story. The gun is 100% reliable but it's just a difficult gun to shoot accurately. 

No it isn't.   It's called training.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

It is difficult to shoot accurately because you dont know how.  Its just like anything else.

If you lived closer or are willing to drive a bit and spend a couple hours on the range with me I'd remove all the mysteries of the small frame revolver.

• Like 1