jm1827

Long Gun Purchase Cabelas DE?

Just checking to see if long gun purchases at Cabelas in DE are still good to go as long as I have my FPID and DL?  I haven't heard otherwise but with all of these crazy new laws our legislature is passing I wanted to make sure before I drove out there.

Finally looking to pick up an O/U and was hoping to get out there one of these weekends.

Thanks!

According to their own web page, it would not be a problem.

https://www.cabelas.com/assets/product_files/pdf/federal_state_firearms_regs_online.pdf

New Jersey:
Residents of the state of New Jersey can purchase long guns in any state provided they
posses a valid NJ F.I.D. (Firearms Identification Card) Non-residents must
posses a valid NJ F.I.D. card to purchase a long gun in the state of NJ.
(NJ Code 2C:58-3)

21 minutes ago, Maksim said:

While I have not purchased from the DE store, have from Maine.  No issues.  I would think the DE store being nearly across the border would be even more knowledgeable about it and know to ask for FID.

Just last Wednesday I made a Maine  Cabelas purchase. My first Cabelas gun purchase. There was no charge in my receipt for the background. Is this a Cabelas thing?  Or only Maine?  Or did I get over?  

Just now, BobA said:

Just last Wednesday I made a Cabelas purchase. My first Cabelas gun purchase. There was no charge in my receipt for the background. Is this a Cabelas thing?  Or only Maine?  Or did I get over?  

Just another fine benefit of living in this fine state. NJ is one of the few states that charge for a NICS check. And it's not just because we are a POC state = Pennsylvania is also a POC state and they don't charge. Too many entities with their collective nose in the trough.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Just now, Pizza Bob said:

Just another fine benefit of living in this fine state. NJ is one of the few states that charge for a NICS check. And it's not just because we are a POC state = Pennsylvania is also a POC state and they don't charge. Too many entities with their collective nose in the trough.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You mean to say that the NICS charge is up to the FFL?  

You mean to say that the NICS charge is up to the FFL?  
No. The NJ government decided to be a Point of Contact for NICS. This means NJSP act as intermediary between the FFL and the FBI.

It is the NJ government that decided that the PoC should charge $15 per background check. The FFL is just the person who collects the cash from the buyer on behalf of the State.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BobA said:

I guess it shouldn’t surprise me too much. They’re pissed in Maine to even do the backgrounds. It’s new to them and they hate it. 

Not new - a federal mandate that has been around for 20 years. Brady Bill was passed in 1993, but infrastructure for NICS was not in place until 1998,

13 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Not new - a federal mandate that has been around for 20 years. Brady Bill was passed in 1993, but infrastructure for NICS was not in place until 1998,

Bob,

PA is PICS/NICS is $2 and $3 IIRC... not free.

Yes, PA is a POC state also, but most dealers, whether going through an intermediary or going direct, do not show that charge on the gun invoice / receipt. For sure it's rolled into the price of the goods and is considered the price of doing business.

Welcome back Maks. Shooting Shongum this Saturday?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

37 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Groundbeaver doesn’t have a plan.. but his people do

Well of course. Leaders and politicians don’t have ideas or plans. Their sub-idiots do that for them. They cut ribbons, kiss babies and keep their teeth brushed white while others do the thinking. 

On 11/26/2018 at 7:29 AM, jm1827 said:

Just checking to see if long gun purchases at Cabelas in DE are still good to go as long as I have my FPID and DL?  I haven't heard otherwise but with all of these crazy new laws our legislature is passing I wanted to make sure before I drove out there.

Finally looking to pick up an O/U and was hoping to get out there one of these weekends.

Thanks!

Fwiw i posted about my fairly recent purchase attempt there in another thread.

I drove all the way there with my family to buy a stoeger 12g around halloween. On the phone they said yeah sure come down.

Sure enough after waiting forever and then the employee taking 30+ minutes to assemble the thing (eventually another knowledgeable guy came in and put it together in 15 seconds flat) while trying to convince me to buy a mossberg, i finally get to fill out the paperwork. 2 hours into my attempt at a purchase (i knew what i wanted coming in and even had them hold it aside for me ahead of time) one of the managers comes out and says that they dont know if my (standard) FID is real. Why? The hand written date of issue, fingerprint wasnt rolled, and one side was white while the other is tan. All standard procedure for most PDs issuing FIDs.

So, call them and make sure before you waste your time. Shouldnt be an issue but after 5+ hours wasted driving etc they said theyll call me when they find out if my fid is real in 2 or 3 days. I ended up waiting over a week... bitched to corporate about it and got.a store credit but other than to spend the credit i likely wont buy there again.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, Lambo2936 said:

Fwiw i posted about my fairly recent purchase attempt there in another thread.

I drove all the way there with my family to buy a stoeger 12g around halloween. On the phone they said yeah sure come down.

Sure enough after waiting forever and then the employee taking 30+ minutes to assemble the thing (eventually another knowledgeable guy came in and put it together in 15 seconds flat) while trying to convince me to buy a mossberg, i finally get to fill out the paperwork. 2 hours into my attempt at a purchase (i knew what i wanted coming in and even had them hold it aside for me ahead of time) one of the managers comes out and says that they dont know if my (standard) FID is real. Why? The hand written date of issue, fingerprint wasnt rolled, and one side was white while the other is tan. All standard procedure for most PDs issuing FIDs.

So, call them and make sure before you waste your time. Shouldnt be an issue but after 5+ hours wasted driving etc they said theyll call me when they find out if my fid is real in 2 or 3 days. I ended up waiting over a week... bitched to corporate about it and got.a store credit but other than to spend the credit i likely wont buy there again.

Thanks for the heads up, I will make a call before I drive all the way down.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:30 PM, BobA said:

I guess it shouldn’t surprise me too much. They’re pissed in Maine to even do the backgrounds. It’s new to them and they hate it. 

Maine has done it for the 15 years I've lived in that region. Far from new to them.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:57 AM, Maksim said:

While I have not purchased from the DE store, have from Maine.  No issues.  I would think the DE store being nearly across the border would be even more knowledgeable about it and know to ask for FID.

Will they sell a long gun with a "evil" feature (ie: telescoping stock that you'll have to pin) to you, or do they strictly follow NJ laws?

29 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Will they sell a long gun with a "evil" feature (ie: telescoping stock that you'll have to pin) to you, or do they strictly follow NJ laws?

In Maine? Did not even get a COE until I asked.  

Fairly sure could of bought with every evil feature. Not just there but other stores there. 

So, had Thursday off so I drove down to Cabelas, called first just to make sure everything was good, and that they had a few O/Us to look at, and to make sure they had no issues with me purchasing one with corporate awarded gift certificates.

Long story short, all went great, the sales rep helping me was great, ended up getting a Franchi SL in 12GA. 

Will definitely be going back!

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

In Maine? Did not even get a COE until I asked.  

Fairly sure could of bought with every evil feature. Not just there but other stores there. 

I got the COE offered. And sometimes you can get the forbidden features. My experience at all the cabelas mentioned I feel is believe it or not it boils down to the clerk and the manager on duty. I’ve had contradictory sales and service in each. As far as other stores in Maine it depends on how far north and west you go. Now private sales are a whole other thread. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BobA said:

I got the COE offered. And sometimes you can get the forbidden features. My experience at all the cabelas mentioned I feel is believe it or not it boils down to the clerk and the manager on duty. I’ve had contradictory sales and service in each. As far as other stores in Maine it depends on how far north and west you go. Now private sales are a whole other thread. 

Spot on.  It really depends on the time of day and whom you get.

When I was there they were more concerned about MA purchases than anywhere else.

When I bought a gun in Cabelas in Texas... nothing ever came up. lol.

Would not be at all surprised however if Cabelas in DE and Pa were all over the transaction as the number of NJ and NY buyers would be significantly higher.

• Like 1