Old Glock guy

gun lockers vs. safes

Anyone have experience with gun lockers like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Stack-GCB-18C-Convertible-Security-Cabinet/dp/B002TOKR1M?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ4TDBSYBFUKZ6DKA&tag=reenajat-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002TOKR1M

Obviously, they are easier to break into than a heavy safe, and they are not fireproof.  But besides the lower cost, they are a lot lighter and easier to install or move around.  Thinking about using one as an interim solution until I can get out of NJ, in conjunction with a home security system.

Anyone here have experience with them, or any further thoughts or considerations?

I have one that I keep my ammunition in. I first bought it as a place to lock up my firearms but quickly moved up to a heavy fireproof safe. I didn't think it would deter anyone wanting to get in, only held someone off for a few minutes.

2 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Anyone here have experience with them, or any further thoughts or considerations?

My preference is to use a cabinet that DOESN'T look like a gun safe, this way if anyone is nosing around, they won't automatically equate  it as holding guns like a traditional safe broadcasts. Usually, if someone breaks in, it's a tweaker looking for a quick score. If he doesn't know what he's looking at, and it's just a plain cabinet, they'll leave it alone.

If someone is serious about stealing your firearms, if there's a will, there's a way. That's why I prefer "hide in plain sight".

I got one to make room in my safe for the better guns. These are moderately heavy cabinets and I keep my cheaper rifles like Mosins and 22 plinkers in. It's screwed into wood shelving in the basement and if some bad guy is that deep into my house so be it. 

4 minutes ago, siderman said:

It's screwed into wood shelving in the basement and if some bad guy is that deep into my house so be it. 

That too.. if they want to work that hard for an extended period of time, so be it.

15 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

in conjunction with a home security system.

Being on Candid Camera can also ruin the bad guy's day too!

I use 2 similar cabinets in my basement for guns and ammo. My only fear is my kids getting into my stuff, and I find both cabinets to be sufficient for my needs.

I have a house alarm. Any bad guy who enters my house will be met by a deafening sound and a police response within 5 minutes. I doubt they will have time to find a tool to pry open my cabinets before the police arrive.

I do not own any guns that are special or unique or have any sentimental value. Most of my guns could be replaced within a week.

On the stealth idea.... I have an upright freezer with a keyed lock. When it dies, I will convert it into a gun cabinet.

I have had an "8-gun" by homak since the late 80's/early 90's. 

Its NOT a safe, but for keeping the little fingers off the firearms, and confounding the 'smash-and-grab" robbers, it has served its purpose well.  

I am currently tempted toward a bigger one - a "22 Gun" currently for $123 from Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-22-Gun-Security-Cabinet-with-Bonus-Portable-Case-Value-Savings-of-29/55662417?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222222102971271&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=75316616823703&wl4=pla-4578916186492365:aud-807612879&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=55662417_0&wl14=stack-on gun cabinet 22 gun&veh=sem&msclkid=e1ef1ef8f10a1720476d4504bdfa8b4f

Some good advice here.  Thanks so much!

W2MC, I ended up purchasing that Stack-on locker/cabinet from Wal-Mart, which was perhaps slightly larger than the one I posted, and at a price that was a third less.  For that price, even if I end up just storing my gym clothes in there, it was a bargain!

I have one of the 18s in the OP and a 10? (or 14?) which are sufficient for keeping honest people honest.  Anyone with some basic tools and time can fairly easily get into them if so inclined. They are good enough for what I wanted, and light/compact enough to go where I wanted.  I was able to actually fit a decent amount of guns in mine, though I did not use a shelf, only the included rifle separators.  As long as your expectations are realistic - i.e. not thinking it is a safe, they may be fine for you.  Tractor supply, Dicks (view in store, order elsewhere), and a few other local places may have them (or the very similar 10 or 14 rifle versions).

Believe there's no tax on them in NJ.

Most gun safes that people buy are not fireproof and not hard to get into. They make them look beefy but they use gypsum board, drywall, sheetrock whichever term you prefer. A good safe uses fortified concrete. If you aren't going to spend thousands on a safe (close to $10k installed) you are just as well off with a stack on.

Better yet if you have the room build a gun vault and enjoy seeing everything. What goes real nice in a gun vault is the old Lista or Vidmar 60" tool draws. They are 9-12 draws high and each draw can easily hold 7 full length rifles. The Military surpluses them now and then cheap. Otherwise even used they are a $2k, but the glides on the draw are smooth like butter even when full. One draw can hold a whole lot of Bayonets.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have two of the 12 gun Stack-On cabinets.  I had enough ceiling height to mount one on top of the other to save space.  They are bolted to each other and to the wall internally.  I think someone with a good pry bar and big hammer could have it opened in about 5 minutes.

But, they are cheap, they keep kids out, they keep honest people out, and they are light weight. 

I have two of the 12 gun Stack-On cabinets.  I had enough ceiling height to mount one on top of the other to save space.  They are bolted to each other and to the wall internally.  I think someone with a good pry bar and big hammer could have it opened in about 5 minutes.
But, they are cheap, they keep kids out, they keep honest people out, and they are light weight. 
Someone with a prybar and hammer can open the $1,500 gun safe just as easily.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:11 PM, W2MC said:

Mistake #1 - NEVER let da wife see them all at once!

There's no problem with this if at least a third of the guns in the safe are hers.

That's called 'an investment'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howard said:

These things serve their purpose - they keep honest people honest, which is all a cheap safe will do anyway but for more money.

True... They prevent the "smash and grab" Tweakers from getting into the safe. Anyone who's really serious will get into one and help themselves. If they really have to work at it, the odds are they will move along.

Another reason why I like the "hide in plain sight" method. If it doesn't look like a gun safe, or is hidden, guess what, it increases the odds that it won't get touched.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

There's no problem with this if at least a third of the guns in the safe are hers.

That's called 'an investment'.

Just make sure she's ALWAYS happy!!  With access to the safe, I sure wouldn't want wifey pissed off at me. :)

3 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

True... They prevent the "smash and grab" Tweakers from getting into the safe. Anyone who's really serious will get into one and help themselves. If they really have to work at it, the odds are they will move along.

Work....I think that's the operative word.  If they were willing to work, they wouldn't be thieves in the first place.

• Like 1

I wasn't thinking of these as preventing smash and grab, rather just preventing crimes of opportunity such as if a maid, repair person, party guest just saw something laying out in the loose.  Also will stop younger kids from getting into or taking something.  
Now if you want security you need to wire it up so it gives a 20,000 volt shock when the door is opened :)  Just be careful you always remember to deactivate it before YOU go to open it;) 

guys, opening a safe really isn't that hard.  One of our members has a family member that had thieves used a hammer to open it.  As for fireproofing, nothing is really fireproof as the contents won't survive long to have the fire put out in 90% of the time.  All a safe does is give some comfort, provide a reasonable deterrent to a 'fast thief' and very limited fire protection

at least the safes we buy.......

• Like 1

guys, opening a safe really isn't that hard.  One of our members has a family member that had thieves used a hammer to open it.  As for fireproofing, nothing is really fireproof as the contents won't survive long to have the fire put out in 90% of the time.  All a safe does is give some comfort, provide a reasonable deterrent to a 'fast thief' and very limited fire protection
at least the safes we buy.......
Exactly unless you spend $10k might as well just get a cheap stack on. Though sometimes you can find an old school bank safe for free. Just have to pay a few thousand to have it moved and installed.

2 hours ago, Howard said:

Now if you want security you need to wire it up so it gives a 20,000 volt shock when the door is opened :) 

Ahhhhh... I really like that feature!!!

1 hour ago, myhatinthering said:

All a safe does is give some comfort, provide a reasonable deterrent to a 'fast thief' and very limited fire protection

Which is why I prefer something along these lines. The potential thief doing a quick search doesn't know it's a gun safe:

Innovative-Bedroom-Gun-Safe-Office-Decor

200_lg_hidden_bookcase.jpg

tactical-hidden-firearms-shelves-300x250

concealed-furniture-concealed-gun-furnit

Tactical-Walls-Coffee-Table-650x320.jpg?

• Like 1

Still going to move my Fatboy Jr up to Maine... but I’m finding/building a house with a decent sized basement, and making a man cave. Maybe a step under Burt’s from Tremors. The Fatboy will be behind a vault door, mainly to store long guns. I’ll likely put some on the wall in there. Along with a reloading setup, and likely a bench for working on/cleaning guns.

I’ll bolt the smaller ProVault 12 safe (Cabela’s no-frills Liberty safe) in the bedroom, for regularly used firearms.

Houlton doesn’t seem too bad, but that will be along with an alarm system and a few other things. All things being equal, I’m not securing the Crown Jewels. At a certain point, average thieves are going to say it isn’t worth it. If a professional comes along, and wants what I got... kind of is what it is. Just make it as difficult for them, to increase the likelihood of getting caught.

32 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Still going to move my Fatboy Jr up to Maine... but I’m finding/building a house with a decent sized basement, and making a man cave. Maybe a step under Burt’s from Tremors. The Fatboy will be behind a vault door, mainly to store long guns. I’ll likely put some on the wall in there. Along with a reloading setup, and likely a bench for working on/cleaning guns.

I’ll bolt the smaller ProVault 12 safe (Cabela’s no-frills Liberty safe) in the bedroom, for regularly used firearms.

Houlton doesn’t seem too bad, but that will be along with an alarm system and a few other things. All things being equal, I’m not securing the Crown Jewels. At a certain point, average thieves are going to say it isn’t worth it. If a professional comes along, and wants what I got... kind of is what it is. Just make it as difficult for them, to increase the likelihood of getting caught.

Houlton, Maine?

Went there last year....nice place, but a little remote from the family.

Stayed a week in Island Falls....nice place, too!