JMich3

Dicks feels the backlash!

Better article.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/dicks-sporting-goods-strict-gun-policy-hurts-hunting-business-shares-sink

Dick’s Sporting Goods is considering an exit from the hunting goods business amid a continued sales slump related to its decision to stop selling guns at its stores, the company’s CEO Edward Stack said during a conference call on Wednesday.

The sports equipment retailer posted a same-store sales decline of 3.9 percent in its fiscal third quarter. Net sales fell 4.5 percent to $1.86 billion – a drop that company executives attributed to weak performance in its hunting and electronics category.

Dick’s Chief Financial Officer Lee Belitsky said the company’s decision to end the sale of assault rifles and enact an age limit on all firearm and ammunition sales played a role in the dip in hunting sector revenue, since fewer hunters were in stores to buy outdoor gear.

Stack said the company replaced hunting goods in 10 stores where sales were particularly weak with gear from better-performing sectors such as baseball equipment. While Dick’s has yet to determine whether to remove hunting goods from other stores, Stack said the company would consider further reductions.

• Like 2

I stopped shopping at Dick's, although I doubt they noticed.

I was not aware WalMart also put a 21 year old restriction on gun sales. I am not a big Walmart shopper as it is, but I will make an effort to avoid them.

• Like 1

I was at Dicks today looking at some jackets. Spent a good amount of time trying some on too. Decided what I want and left. Will actually buy it elsewhere lol. What I did notice is the Lodge area isn't very consumer friendly at the moment it's being used as a staging area for pallets and other misc boxes, can still shop there just very cluttered. I also noticed most of the guns had sale tags on them.

• Like 1

I won't shop at Dick's and my daughter doesn't care for them either.  We had impressively poor customer service at 2 different stores when looking for a .22 rifle for her.   I wouldn't piss on DIck's Sporting Goods if they were on fire. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 7:46 AM, Handyman said:

I'll show up for their going out of business sale, but that's about it.

You might get that chance...

With sales falling after the implementation of corporate gun control Dick’s Sporting Goods may have to close 35 stores across 18 states.

Dick’s Chief Financial Officer Lee Belitsky made clear no more of the company’s Field & Stream stores would be built and CEO Edward Stack went even further, floating the option of the closing the Field & Stream stores that exist already.

Stack explained the corporate gun control Dick’s adopted in February, which precipitated the slumping sales:

With sales falling, Dick’s now faces the option of closing its Field & Stream stores altogether. The Washington Free Beacon reports that Dick’s has 35 such stores across 18 states.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/12/11/corporate-gun-control-fail-dicks-may-close-35-stores-across-18-states/

Just wondering if others here go out of the way not to patronize anti-2A companies. Other anti-2A companies that come to mind include REI, Yeti, Delta, and many others. I also do not buy from Target, Ben & Jerry's, Starbucks, Amazon, Whole Foods, etc for similar reasons.

32 minutes ago, JW_Pepper said:

Just wondering if others here go out of the way not to patronize anti-2A companies. Other anti-2A companies that come to mind include REI, Yeti, Delta, and many others. I also do not buy from Target, Ben & Jerry's, Starbucks, Amazon, Whole Foods, etc for similar reasons.

I try not to use any anti 2a companies or buy Chinese if I can help it.  The problem is, we need a list of anti 2a companies.  Perhaps a sticky??????

#maksim   ?

Just now, myhatinthering said:

I try not to use any anti 2a companies or buy Chinese if I can help it.  The problem is, we need a list of anti 2a companies.  Perhaps a sticky??????

@maksim   ?

And well they should feel the backlash.  Actions have consequences. Or, to use a phrasing I prefer, “Stupid should hurt”

i think the Dicks board of directors has a fiduciary responsibility to find a new CEO  

• Like 2