jdon1

FID address question

So I've read through a fair bit of transportation questions, and I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's my current situation: when I got my FID in college, I was still living with my parents, and thus my FID (and driver's license) still has my parent's address on it. I have since moved out, but have not changed the address on either. However, my guns are kept at my place, a different address than is on my FID and license. Is this illegal?

In case anyone asks, the reason I opted not to change anything is because I expect to move around a bit in the next few years due to grad school, and I didn't want to go through the process of changing my license and my FID each time. Additionally, can someone confirm that to change my FID address, its essentially the same process again?

4 minutes ago, jdon1 said:

Additionally, can someone confirm that to change my FID address, its essentially the same process again?

The odds are, they will make you go through the complete process again, just to change the address, depending on the local PD. If it's only been a short time, you might not have to go the fingerprint process, but every PD does their own thing.

Isn't it wonderful living in the communist state of NJ?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jdon1 said:

So I've read through a fair bit of transportation questions, and I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's my current situation: when I got my FID in college, I was still living with my parents, and thus my FID (and driver's license) still has my parent's address on it. I have since moved out, but have not changed the address on either. However, my guns are kept at my place, a different address than is on my FID and license. Is this illegal?

In case anyone asks, the reason I opted not to change anything is because I expect to move around a bit in the next few years due to grad school, and I didn't want to go through the process of changing my license and my FID each time. Additionally, can someone confirm that to change my FID address, its essentially the same process again?

There is nothing stopping you from storing your firearms at your parents & leaving everything else as is.  Especially if your "move" is temporary.  My son went to a college in NJ approx. 2 hrs from our house.  We "moved him out" every school year.  4 years in a row.  He had a Yellow Card at age 18.  Not once did he ever have his license or Yellow Card address changed.  He has since moved out to Free Amerrikka and changed his DL & now has a PA LTCF! 

NJ gun law has lots of double meanings & gray areas that directly conflict each other.  "Residences" are one of them.  In one chapter it says you must apply for an address change & in another it lists a plural exemption for transportation of firearms.  So long as you're not PURCHASING additional firearms and some of your mail goes to your parents (do you still get a sample ballot mailed there & vote there?), you should be OK.  There are literally THOUSANDS in your shoes.  IANAL & that's the reality of NJ college-age gun owners.

FWIW, NJ gun law doesn't say "voting residence, primary residence, temporary residence", etc.  In point of fact if you owned/rented/or even just stayed at several residences you could store & use firearms at EVERY residence.  There is NO limitation on the number of days/nights one must be at any particular residence.  If yer DNA is there & you sleep there every-so-often, it's a residence. 

That all being said, IF it is your intention to USE your yellow Card to PURCHASE additional firearms, and do so for "years" while moving to go to grad school, I would not surrender my Yellow Card under any circumstance 'cept for a court order, and I would file for an address change on both IF you're going to never reside at your parents while at grad school.  Better to "play it safe".  But remember, make a photocopy of your Yellow Card & turn that in for an address change, as you don't want to surrender your transportation rights just to change an address :) 

• Like 1

If you had livescan prints done then there is no need for additional prints.

All first time applicants MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by IndentoGo (Morpho Trust). This information and appointment form will be provided upon the submission of your properly completed firearms application.

Subsequent Applicants for Additional Permits to Purchase a Handgun or Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Cards

A change of Address is considered a Duplicate card.

1. A Criminal History Records Check must be conducted on all subsequent applications. 2. As of April 2014, the State Bureau of Identification (SBI) has mandated that all 212A forms must be completed electronically.   SBI will no longer accept the yellow 212A paper form for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Handgun Purchase Permits.  See below for new instructions to complete the 212A process electronically.

212A ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
• Login to the website https:/www.njportal.com/njsp/criminalrecords/ •

When asked for the agency’s ORI number, enter the ORI number provided by your local municipality or if the New Jersey State Police provides police service for your municipality you must acquire the ORI number from the barracks that patrols your municipality. • A literal translation will appear giving the option of continuing or canceling the filing. • If you choose to continue you will fill out the demographics and select the background needed.  For Firearm Purchaser Identification Cards and Handgun Purchase Permits you will select : NJS 2C:58-3. Firearm licensing. • You will then be requested to enter your State Bureau of Identification number (SBI number- also known as the Firearms Identification number). This is to ensure that you have been finger printed under a firearms application before.  If you have not you will be rejected from the process at this time. • If all information is correct, you will then check out by making the payment by credit card or electronic check.  Once the payment is verified, you will receive a Conformation & Receipt that will include your confirmation number.  It is recommended  you save this document for your records. • You will find additional instructions in the help section once you set up your account and become a user. Any problems or questions contact SBI at 609-882-2000 extension 2991. 3. Additional purchase permit applicants must fill out the State of New Jersey Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit, Form STS-033 (Rev. 09/09). 4. Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card duplicate card, i.e., mutilated, lost or stolen, change of address, name and/or sex, must complete form STS-033 as noted above. 5. All applicants must complete the Consent For Mental Health Search, form SP-66 (Rev. 11/07). 6. Current issued Firearms Purchaser Identification Card card shall be surrendered at the time of submission of new application.

Additional Fees:
1. Firearms ID Card- $ 5.00- Initial Only, no fee for a duplicate card.  2. Permit to Purchase a Handgun- $ 2.00 each         (These fees may be paid by check, or money order payable to the law enforcement agency where the application is submitted.) If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the quantity of permits you may apply for. 3. Criminal History Check- fee is $20.00 - Only required after you have been initially fingerprinted. I.E. - Duplicate Firearms ID Card, Permit to Purchase a Handgun. (MUST BE PAID USING THE ONLINE APPLICATION) 4. IndentoGo (Morpho Trust) - Information to include appointments and fees will be provided upon submission of a correctly completed application.

4 minutes ago, rscalzo said:

6. Current issued Firearms Purchaser Identification Card card shall be surrendered at the time of submission of new application.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd here's where they want to take yer rights away!  You lose yer exemption for long guns and have to treat them like hand guns.  The "DIRECTLY TO & FROM" SCHEME GOES INTO EFFECT!  Truth be told, all they need is your SBI number to do a look-up and a photocopy gives it to them :) 

Hmmmm, when I did my change of address when I moved a few years ago, the local PD took a copy of my old card when processing the change of address, but didn't take the original and I had to do everything like new except fingerprints. When the new card was ready, they also didn't ask for the old card. I still have it.

32 minutes ago, W2MC said:

I changed my address in 2013. Still have the old card.

Now I moved in 2004.....do I still have to worry that the ID police will track me down???

They'll be a- poundin' on yer door right after the guy lookin' for yer old BLUE NJ license plates I reckon', lol! :) 

I bring this SH!T to light (the great Yellow Card Caper) to show NJ gun owners just how many liberties they already lost!  My son left home about 8 years ago.  He still has his Jersey ID Card.  Interesting tidbit:  Your SBI # is for life; school bus drivers, felons AND gun owners all have SBI #'s...

1 hour ago, rscalzo said:

We never4 did a change of address without the old card. that was 15 plus years ago.; 

So....you're admitting to contributing to the slippery slope of loss of rights by enforcing a (then) non-existent rule of your own making?  Hmmmmm.  lll% NOT!

From my experience, the state historically doesn't track down folks who moved and did not update their FID address. With that said, I would NOT use your FID to purchase something until you get the address updated. I would also act as if the FID was not valid from an exemption standpoint until you get the address updated.

My second PD made me go through fingerprinting when I changed my address, but my first FID was issued with paper and ink prints. The last I knew, their policy was to make people do fingerprints again every two years, no exceptions. :rolleyes:

On 11/30/2018 at 10:38 AM, jdon1 said:

As I understand it, all you need do is establish residency to keep and transport from one residence to another. 

You can establish dual, triple, or octuplet residency and you are good to go. Home is where you lay your head at night, right? You grew up in Mom and Dad's place and STILL live there part time, you also live part time at the place very close to campus.

I'm a carpenter, I make furniture not legal arguments,  so,,,,,,,,,take this as it's intended.