CAL. .30 M1

MRE's - Talk to me.

8 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

it seems best to stay on that topic rather than MREs versus canned food.

Well, technically canned food was the original MRE.  The French invented canned food during the Napoleonic wars.  "An army marches on it's stomach" and canned food go hand in hand.

Technology has improved a bit in the past 100 years.  Canned food lasts longer now, but dehydrated food lasts a LOT longer.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, Scorpio64 said:

Well, technically canned food was the original MRE.  The French invented canned food during the Napoleonic wars.  "An army marches on it's stomach" and canned food go hand in hand.

Technology has improved a bit in the past 100 years.  Canned food lasts longer now, but dehydrated food lasts a LOT longer.

I do not know if your first paragraph is correct, but you seem to have half a brain so I will say okay.

The second paragraph is spot on.  MREs suck.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, Ray Ray said:

I do not know if your first paragraph is correct, but you seem to have half a brain so I will say okay.

The second paragraph is spot on.  MREs suck.

@Ray Ray the original ration for the march was lentils carried by the Romans Legions.

Field rations during Napoleon's time became canned but initially they were bottled.

• Like 1

For our emergency food supply, my preferred approach has been to stock up on canned food, instead of dried or freeze-dried food.  As we eat some of it we replace it with newer cans of the same.  The reason is  because most canned food, such as vegetables and fruit will last many years past their so-called expiration date listed on the can, since the metal is a better container for preserving their contents than either plastic or cellophane.

Also, the canned vegetables and fruit are packed in potable water which is another very important fact that many folks tend to overlook.  Who knows what situation(s) may exist in a SHTF scenario and what condition our municipal water supply will be in.  Therefore, the nourishment from both the canned food AND the water from the can, will have double benefits for our sustained longevity, (of course, until it is all gone.....)

BTW, I also have sealed canned water, which will last longer, that is remain potable longer, than water in sealed plastic containers that will eventually leach some of their unhealthy plastic chemical compounds into the water after approximately two years or less....

AVB-AMG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

For our emergency food supply, my preferred approach has been to stock up on canned food, instead of dried or freeze-dried food.  As we eat some of it we replace it with newer cans of the same.  The reason is  because most canned food, such as vegetables and fruit will last many years past their so-called expiration date listed on the can, since the metal is a better container than plastic or cellophane.

Also, the canned vegetables and fruit are packed in potable water which is another very important fact that many folks tend to overlook.  Who knows what situation(s) may exist in a SHTF scenario and what condition our municipal water supply will be in.  Therefore, the nourishment from both the canned food AND the water from the can, will have double benefits for our sustained longevity, (of course, until it is all gone.....)

BTW, I also have sealed canned water, which will last stay potable longer than water in sealed plastic containers that will eventually leach some of their plastic chemical compounds into the water after approximately two years.

AVB-AMG

Good thinking.  Canned water is a good idea but you can also get things that aren't as boring.  I purchased several cases of canned Arizona Iced Tea on sale for a stupidly low price with an expiration date 2 1/2 years from the purchase date.  Almost done with it and it's still got a year to the expiration date.

10 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

Who knows what situation(s) may exist in a SHTF scenario and what condition our municipal water supply will be in.  Therefore, the nourishment from both the canned food AND the water from the can, will have double benefits for our sustained longevity, (of course, until it is all gone.....)

"All Gone"... that could be an issue..

This is why everyone needs redundancy.. My thinking, "one is none, two is one, and three is where you need to be".

Regarding water, which is the MOST important piece, you need multiple sources:

1. Municipal source
  2. Bottles or cans stored
  3. A well
  4. A swimming pool
  5. Good filtration system to use from a stream or lake.
  6. Rainwater collection

If you don't have at least THREE of them, get cracking!!!!

10 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

BTW, I also have sealed canned water, which will last longer, that is remain potable longer, than water in sealed plastic containers that will eventually leach some of their unhealthy plastic chemical compounds into the water after approximately two years or less.... 

Why are you storing water in plastic bottle for two years? You should be using and rotating that stored water, just like your cans.

5 hours ago, Sniper said:

"All Gone"... that could be an issue..

This is why everyone needs redundancy.. My thinking, "one is none, two is one, and three is where you need to be".

Why are you storing water in plastic bottle for two years? You should be using and rotating that stored water, just like your cans.

@Sniper:

Yes, the fact of any of this type of planning is that at some point, everyone's supplies will be "all gone". 
I believe that everyone needs to consider their own situation and ultimately what their goals are for survival time and then decide for themselves just how long a time period they can realistically be self-sufficient in their home.  Is it 2 weeks or 2 months or 2 years?  I dare say that this choice will be different for everyone.  That will then dictate both the quantity and feasible redundancy for essential supplies such as water and food and fuel, as well as how realistic is it to be able to have multiple sources of both that are if not readily accessible, at least a strong possibility.

Once again, you are misreading what I have written.......:facepalm:
(I suggest you take another look at and re-read what i actually wrote)

I am NOT storing our emergency water supply in plastic bottles at all.  I have a number of cases of sealed canned water for this purpose.

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

Once again, you are misreading what I have written.......:facepalm:
(I suggest you take another look at and re-read what i actually wrote)

I am NOT storing our emergency water supply in plastic bottles at all.  I have a number of cases of sealed canned water for this purpose. 

I know YOU aren't storing your water in plastic bottles, but in cans. But, you took a pot shot insinuating that water in plastic bottles was a no-go for two years. So, MY point was, water stored in plastic bottles should be rotated just like canned veggies are rotated.

I used "you" as a generic term, maybe "everyone" would be better, as to not upset you.

On 12/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, Sniper said:

I know YOU aren't storing your water in plastic bottles, but in cans. But, you took a pot shot insinuating that water in plastic bottles was a no-go for two years. So, MY point was, water stored in plastic bottles should be rotated just like canned veggies are rotated.

I used "you" as a generic term, maybe "everyone" would be better, as to not upset you.

@Sniper

Ok, I got it.....  I apologize for the confusion.
It was not a "pot shot", just educated knowledge of what we know now about how plastic degrades over time.  I do not think it is a good idea for anyone to completely trust the purity of any water that has been stored in any plastic containers for 2+ years, especially store-bought bottle water in plastic bottles.

AVB-AMG

(BTW - What happened to the "22"...?)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

So, you are only prepared for 2 months then. ;)

lol no....I can stretch that supply to 3 mos, that also doesn't include advanced prep such as filling tubs etc in the event of oncoming issues which require more drastic measures.  My old house had a 48k gallon pool and I didn't worry at all...lol

I am thinking however, I'll add to that supply

9 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

@Sniper

Ok, I got it.....  I apologize for the confusion.
I do not think it is a good idea for anyone to completely trust the purity of any water that has been stored in any plastic containers for 2+ years, especially store-bought bottle water in plastic bottles.

AVB-AMG

(BTW - What happened to the "22"...?)

provided it's in a dark cool place it should be fine.  the issues that plastic presents really become dynamic concerns with higher temps, light transmission etc. 

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I'm a landscaper, so I get around.  I have noted where there are a lot of um....  water sources in backyards.

Ha... I agree,  as much as I hate my pool, but wifely likes it, having that water source for TWO reasons, Fire Fighting and personal use, does have it's benefit.

Actually, make it THREE... the dog thinks it's his water dish.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

but again, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how much you have as in any crisis situation you need numbers.  Everyone needs a plan that mandates a force multiplier effect. 

Valid point. Goes back to” trading ammo”

2 hours ago, Nogunverysad said:

Bet you feel silly saying that now lol

Dear Johnny Come Lately,

You're the silly moron.  Griz was asking for what kind of event they were preparing for because it influences what kinds of products to buy.  Invading Grenada, Hershey's bars.  Zombie apocalypse, Mountain Hose and squirrel.

You silly goose, you jumped to a conclusion.

p.s. welcome to the forum. get a gun.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1