CAL. .30 M1

MRE's - Talk to me.

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Dear Johnny Come Lately,

You're the silly moron.  Griz was asking for what kind of event they were preparing for because it influences what kinds of products to buy.  Invading Grenada, Hershey's bars.  Zombie apocalypse, Mountain Hose and squirrel.

You silly goose, you jumped to a conclusion.

p.s. welcome to the forum. get a gun.

That was a low blow :(  

5 hours ago, Nogunverysad said:

Bet you feel silly saying that now lol

Not at all.  I have a few months food supply.  Make it longer if I still have power to run my freezer.

Canned food lasts 2-3 years.  I'm not humping it anywhere.  

2 hours ago, Nogunverysad said:

That was a low blow :(  

Not a low blow.  It's preparing for the mission.

I met a guy over 30 years ago.  He was a Vietnam LRRP (Google that if you don't know what that is).  He loved that stuff but after being wounded he was put out on disability. After a few years of bumming, he got a bug, scrapped up enough to fly to Paris, and joined the French Foreign Legion. He signed the contract, in French, although he didn't speak a word of French.

Told me lots of stories but one thing sticks out.  He wound up in the 2nd REP, Parachute Regiment, and in 1978 was tasked to.jump.into the Congo.  The only guarantee the Legion gave him was they wouldn't be resuppulied for 2 days.

What did he and his buddies do?  They threw out all rations from their kit and replaced it with ammo.  They knew they would survive without food for two days but they might not without ammo.

Was he a warrior? No doubt.

Was he a good guy ? Don't know. Haven't seen him since.

Prepare for the threat and the situation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Not a low blow.  It's preparing for the mission.

I met a guy over 30 years ago.  He was a Vietnam LRRP (Google that if you don't know what that is).  He loved that stuff but after being wounded he was put out on disability. After a few years of bumming, he got a bug, scrapped up enough to fly to Paris, and joined the French Foreign Legion. He signed the contract, in French, although he didn't speak a word of French.

Told me lots of stories but one thing sticks out.  He wound up in the 2nd REP, Parachute Regiment, and in 1978 was tasked to.jump.into the Congo.  The only guarantee the Legion gave him was they wouldn't be resuppulied for 2 days.

What did he and his buddies do?  They threw out all rations from their kit and replaced it with ammo.  They knew they would survive without food for two days but they might not without ammo.

Was he a warrior? No doubt.

Was he a good guy ? Don't know. Haven't seen him since.

Prepare for the threat and the situation.

He doesn't know what a LRRP is....dollars to donuts  . 

• Like 1

So my wife surprised me and asked me if we should get some MRE sryle food.  "Just in case".

She saw an ad from a company called "4Patriots".  They are having a "special". 30 days worth of MRE style pouches type food (Just add hit water) for $200

Anyone ever use their product? If so, how did you like it?

Link to the special:

https://products.4patriots.com/holiday/july-4th/delicious-survival-food?utm_source=mkt&utm_medium=ecom&utm_campaign=MKTECOM_4PEVENT-ECOM_20200627&utm_term=organic&utm_content=hero

4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

So my wife surprised me and asked me if we should get some MRE sryle food.  "Just in case".

She saw an ad from a company called "4Patriots".  They are having a "special". 30 days worth of MRE style pouches type food (Just add hit water) for $200

Link to the special:

https://products.4patriots.com/holiday/july-4th/delicious-survival-food?utm_source=mkt&utm_medium=ecom&utm_campaign=MKTECOM_4PEVENT-ECOM_20200627&utm_term=organic&utm_content=hero

That was painful to read — way too much infomercial for me — makes you wonder why they need to sell like that if the product is so good — I have no real feedback for you on the product but I’m staying away just because of the sales pitch

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Link to the special:

It's not MRE if you had to add water. 

30 days?  With 4 people that's a week.  2 people 2 weeks. 

If you can afford it and that will meet your needs go for it.

25 year guarantee?  Will the supplier or the company that produced it be around in 25 years?  When you crack it open in 8,9, or 10 years during a food shortage and find its gone bad do you think they'll send you a replacement when you're starving?

I still think canned is a better option and more economical for most people.

Most canned food I've seen recently has a 3 year shelf life.

On 6/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, Handyman said:

That probably has a 20 year shelf-life, too. Like a meat Twinkie. 

You could probably put Zeke's meat loaf in a time capsule.  

BTW I've eaten it and it's not bad.  Zeke has license to put pineapple in meat loaf as he's lived in Hawaii.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Handyman said:

I'm picturing a carnivore version of the fruitcake I've had in the attic since Christmas, 1974.

But perhaps he is on to something:

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-2007-08-09-0708070909-story.html

It’s the ceviche at work brah    

4 hours ago, Zeke said:

It’s the ceviche at work brah    

When I worked in Key West all the guys who had worked on the Canal Zone Police made a ceviche with barracuda.  Tastes like crap usually but spiced up it was tasty.

18 hours ago, GRIZ said:

When I worked in Key West all the guys who had worked on the Canal Zone Police made a ceviche with barracuda.  Tastes like crap usually but spiced up it was tasty.

Barf! I hope they were young Cuda, the older ones are full of mercury. They are the reefs vacume cleaners and eat all the dead and dieing stuff. 

Edit- its ciguatera fish poisoning not the mercury. 

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

Barf! I hope they were young Cuda, the older ones are full of mercury. They are the reefs vacume cleaners and eat all the dead and dieing stuff. 

Edit- its ciguatera fish poisoning not the mercury. 

Barracuda are the worst but you can get ciquatera poisoning from grouper, sea bass, or any reef  fish.

IIRC, the blend of herbs and spices was designed to neutralize the poison.  Lots of citrus and HOT peppers.  Don't know if that's true but I never saw anyone get sick.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Barracuda are the worst but you can get ciquatera poisoning from grouper, sea bass, or any reef  fish.

IIRC, the blend of herbs and spices was designed to neutralize the poison.  Lots of citrus and HOT peppers.  Don't know if that's true but I never saw anyone get sick.

I just use chunks of cuda to catch Amber jacks on the reef to use for shark bait. The skin on cudas is really tough so it stays on the hook while all the small reef fish pick at it. 

For survival though I think I'd rather eat a cuda than An MRE lol

10 hours ago, fishnut said:

I just use chunks of cuda to catch Amber jacks on the reef to use for shark bait. The skin on cudas is really tough so it stays on the hook while all the small reef fish pick at it. 

For survival though I think I'd rather eat a cuda than An MRE lol

I can't agree with you. I've lived on MREs and C Rations for extended periods of time.

I remember being in a situation with a younger guy at work.  I carried some MRES in the car in case I was in a situation when I didn't get the chance to get anything to eat. I pulled out the MREs and proceeded to eat one cold.  He said, "I can't eat that shit". My response?  "You ain't hungry enough".