Lambo2936

Value of Jeep Wrangler; please move if in wrong area

Hey folks. FIL is moving to Michigan, and left his jeep for my S/O and i (paying him for it but irrelevant). Its a 2013 Jeep wrangler, sahara 4wd with navigation, leather, heated seats. No Back up camera. Hard and soft tops. 

The catch? It has like 215k miles on it. I took it to my uncles shop to look over the whole car A to Z. Debating if to just sell it for him or keep it for myself, but what do you think its worth? Good shape overall but typical wear given its use; worn drivers seat, that kinda thing. Dent in front plastic bumper but ill probably get some lightly used steel ones to replace it since they cost a fraction of what theyd cost for my F150. Maybe even a small lift.. 

It was well maintained overall and other than a minor mechanical glitch that is to be repaired, what is it worth approximately? My understanding is a New Transmission was installed a few thousand miles ago that should still be under warranty. KBB on your average 2013 sahara is like 20k but of course with like 70k Miles.

Just wondering what to expect and also that way i know what to give him as soon as i find out what itll cost to fix any issues with it.

Thanks fellas.

22 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

go to the kelly blue book site and use the web app for determining fair market value.

Do you think itd be accurate? I cant find anything similar to find real life pricing. Kbb is fairly accurate for your average vehicle, but ive found that for stuff such as motorcycles or atvs its often far off.. how much value info can they have on a 200k+ mile 5 year old jeep? Lol. Gona check it out now though, thanks.

Edit: looks like private party value of 10 to 12k depending on condition ('fair' vs 'good').

I expected it to be right around there, so thats good. Now to wait and see what repairs and such it might need.. drove fine when i drove it. 

I've found that KBB vastly overestimates the values of vehicles.  With that kind of mileage you're going to have a tough time selling it.  It may be a great vehicle but 150k is a tipping point that plummets value.

• Like 1

Additionally I've seen Jeeps taking a bit of a hit on the used market.  Similar to Harley D in the 80's (if memory serves me correctly).  They've been overvalued (Jeep) for quite a while.  Starting to come back to earth.

6 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Edit: looks like private party value of 10 to 12k depending on condition ('fair' vs 'good').

I expected it to be right around there, so thats good. Now to wait and see what repairs and such it might need.. drove fine when i drove it. 

Wow, $10-12K for a Jeep with 215K/miles? 

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

I've found that KBB vastly overestimates the values of vehicles.  With that kind of mileage you're going to have a tough time selling it.  It may be a great vehicle but 150k is a tipping point that plummets value.

Being a proud jeep owner (insert jeep wave) I have to agree with Malsua.  The miles on it along with the new JL that launched this year will kill the value.

To sell it you’d have to verify to people exactly what was replaced and when -Timing belt, shocks, springs, heater element, muffler, tires, nav maps updated, etc.  Was it ever taken off roading?  What condition is the soft top in?

i would bet the value is sub 10k, without knowing the above info.  My advise is to take it to a jeep dealer and have them give you a trade in $ value.  Yes I know it will be low, but it should give you a decent starting point.  

Personally, if you have 5k laying around I would keep it.  Drop an AEV 2.5 inch lift with new 35 inch tires and make it a fun weekend beater. From there you can drop new aftermarket bumpers on it

• Like 2

Right now my plan is to fix it up and keep it until someone offers something worthwhile.

My guesstimate was around 8 or 9k tbh. Someone down here will buy it and take it off roading.

As far as its use, never been offroading or anything. Was driven from Bayonne to the QVC HQ in PA every day, hence the mileage. Thing has likely never seen gravel let alone dirt or mud lol.

Will see what my uncle says as far as its mechanical condition and go from there.

best way to find the actual value is to go to online selling sites, and look at what similar condition/mileage jeeps are selling for. being over 200k is gonna kill it. to be honest, i'm kinda surprised a chrysler/jeep v6 made it that far(not trying to be a dick).

it's a relatively small vehicle. perhaps it could serve for the duties you wanted an atv type vehicle for?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

best way to find the actual value is to go to online selling sites, and look at what similar condition/mileage jeeps are selling for. being over 200k is gonna kill it. to be honest, i'm kinda surprised a chrysler/jeep v6 made it that far(not trying to be a dick).

it's a relatively small vehicle. perhaps it could serve for the duties you wanted an atv type vehicle for?

Go f**in figure.. like a week before i was handed a perfect plow vehicle i buy this thing.. (see pix).

20181121_123912.jpg

10 hours ago, weekend_junkie said:

You heard great advice already.  A JK with 215k is a great starting point for a trail/hunting truck.

Yup, this is what itll be pitched as if i sell it.. im in SNJ now, so shouldnt be difficult to sell if i decide to.

Ray, no thanks! If all i can get is 5 grand ill be keeping it. Id be stupid not to. When i got my truck in '11 i was torn between a wrangler and my f150. Now i have both. Lol. For 5k itll be a toy. If i can get (a good bit) more than that once its cleaned up, ill give my FIL what he wanted and the rest is going to be set aside. Soon as my 'rents old house sells and they pay back the loan i gave em' ill be looking for a house. Gotta move some of my guns and ammo and crap too. Nice property nearby on 4 acres with a 1000sqft cinderblock structure (2 bays, nice little workshop/storage) that i want. Im like 50k short, if someone needs a kidney LMK.

• Like 1

Perhaps I missed it, but is this a 2 door or 4 door?

Either way, here's an easy gadget to put you another $1k in the hole on purchasing that property.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/rear-cargo-storage/gcp-1jku-grenadeacorp-sub-roof-concealed-locking-storage-system

• Like 1

At 200k plus, conventional wisdom goes out the window.  At that point most of the mechanical issues have already shaken out.  All of those items that need to be replaced at some point in the life of the car have been replaced.  If the body (both panels and structural components) are good, I'd say you can get 6,500 - 9,000 depending on condition and any additional features (tires, rims etc).  With the new line coming out the JK is going to reduce in value, but they will still retain quite a bit of it.  TJ's are still quite valuable and they have been out of production since the mid 00's.

• Like 1

Its black. Has 4 tires. Not sure what else you wanna know?

On a serious note, its in pretty good shape given the mileage. Driver seat has some wear obviously. Windshield is new, it was cracked and he had it replaced a earlier this year. Transmission was in fact replaced but still glitchy so im taking it back tomorrow to have them take a look at it. Still well under warranty (was done less than 2k miles ago, in March, and has a 12k/24mo warranty).

Only notable damage i can think of other than some scratches in the hard top is a dent in the plastic bumper. O, running boards are new too. My S/O messed one up years ago when it was new and he had them replaced in the last year or so.

Wheels are std aluminum. Tires are std tires. Nothing fancy.

Oh, and its a 4 door. Hard and soft top. Ill snap pics tomorrow when i pick it up.

• Like 1