revenger

12 ga "bear" loads

what are the most effective non-lethal bear loads,   you know the ones that are supposed scare the shit out of them and make them never come back.   who sells them as well,  I would like to buy them in person even if in another state as to not create a paper trail.      not interested in any legal bullcrap from the "lawyers" here either, were in NJ I get it.

I don't think the bears in NJ even hibernate anymore, I give it one year before a human is mauled or killed by one of these creatures.   I seem to have one that has taken up residence in my neighborhood and I don't even live in bear territory.   

thanks   

One HAS already killed a person in NJ - hiker a few years ago...though that sounded like 50/50 bear and stupidity from what I remember.

My understanding is loud noises will send most black bears scrambling.  Not coming back, that's a different story, until your favorite neighbor stops leaving out tasty garbage and/or feeding them, you'll probably have em back if it does indeed live in the area.

I have no idea how effective they would be, but I would wonder about things like rubber buckshot vs bear as a deterrent.  I don't know if the noise, the pain, both, or none of the above are effective on a bear.  Same with things like beanbags, or if there are things like pepperballs (the paintballs filled with pepper spray type materials) which might (or might not) work.  I know bears have very good noses, so something with pain and scent might be very effective, if they exist.

I bought a box of 25 of the Fiocchi LE 00 rubber buck online years ago, hope I never have to see how effective it is.  My shotgun is always loaded with 5 shells of 3" 000 buck, and I have room in the tube for the 2x slugs, 2x 3 1/2" magnum 00 buck, and 2x rubber 00 buckshot on the stock.

Other thought, is one of those big cans of bear mace...neighbors would never hear that, easier to explain away, and probably more concealable around the property...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revenger said:

what are the most effective non-lethal bear loads,   you know the ones that are supposed scare the shit out of them and make them never come back. 

That is not only dangerous, but stupid and ignorant.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, revenger said:

how do you figure?

Shooting an animal that can kill you with rounds that might not kill it, stupid.  Maybe you wound it and the bear suffers. Maybe you piss it off and he attacks you.  Maybe you kill it and it wasn't posing a threat.

Either shoot to kill, or don't shoot.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Shooting an animal that can kill you with rounds that might not kill it, stupid.  Maybe you wound it and the bear suffers. Maybe you piss it off and he attacks you.  Maybe you kill it and it wasn't posing a threat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, revenger said:

what are the most effective non-lethal bear loads,   you know the ones that are supposed scare the shit out of them and make them never come back.   who sells them as well,  I would like to buy them in person even if in another state as to not create a paper trail.   

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/winchester-field-trial-blank-popper-load-shotshells

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

agree.. you are either in a life or death situation.. or you are not.. 

if you are not in a life or death situation.. pissing it off may turn it into one.. 
if you are in a life or death situation.. well you know how that will end.. 

I was shooting steel plates with slugs over the weekend.. just because.. I would trust that to stop a bear.. the amount of energy dumped into the steel was pretty impressive.. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Other thought, is one of those big cans of bear mace..

The question is, do you want to venture inside of 15 feet to the bear to try and see if it works? You could end up being his lunch.

State Police in Alaska use 12 ga slugs. 

I've chased lots and lots of black bear out of my campsites by just yelling at them and acting aggressive.  Black bear are pretty doscile compared to other bear.   But...that works until it doesn't.  If a bear is intent on getting to you, I'm not sure anything non-lethal will work.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

State Police in Alaska use 12 ga slugs. 

I've chased lots and lots of black bear out of my campsites by just yelling at them and acting aggressive.  Black bear are pretty docile compared to other bear.   But...that works until it doesn't.  If a bear is intent on getting to you, I'm not sure anything non-lethal will work.

If it's a mama bear protecting cubs.... You're gonna get mauled...

@revenger - Forget these armchair commandos

I as many of you know lived in bear country many years, in the heart of it.

If a bear is non threatening and you want to get it out of your territory, Bear quality rubber buckshot works. It may send him into a different territorial zone.

Even a rubber slug .But, not the LE stuff,  Real bear stuff. And, you don't want to permanently injure the poor bastard. You MUST shoot it in the fleshy part of the ass.  It's certainly big enough.  Definitely not the face or head or I will call you douche bag.

Threatening bears are a different story or even non-threatening if you just want immediate action. (like they're in your garbage)

Air horn in left hand 12ga w/ rifled slug in right.

Bears aren't really complex.  You may have an adolescent male looking for territory.

I have compassion for them, yes they were here first and all you f'ing city people encroached.  

But manage them.  You're the top of the food chain.

BTW Lightfield makes a complete line of bear deterrent slugs and buckshot in rubber. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Old School said:

If a bear is non threatening and you want to get it out of your territory, Bear quality rubber buckshot works. It may send him into a different territorial zone.

That's great, what about unlawful discharge near a residence?

OP- what sort of problem is the bear causing? Garbage issues? Live stock issues? @revenger

I now live in an area of NH loaded with black bear, I do not own anything less than lethal. If I need to shoot a bear I will be trying to kill if but I doubt it will ever come to that. 

Since may there have been 22 bear on my property that I know about, I'm sure there have been more. 

4 hours ago, Old School said:

But manage them.  You're the top of the food chain.

Apex predators do not manage the food chain, they just kill.  They kill to eat, they kill to protect, and sometimes they just kill because they have noting better to do.

The only reason humans are currently at the top of the food chain is the development of weapons.  Prior to that, us mostly hairless monkeys were simply more easily digestible bear food.

The moral of the story.  No gun = bear food.  Gun = not bear food.

Well, if you have a bear ripping-up your garbage every night, then just sprinkle some cayenne powder in their and it won't happen again. Or, get a bear proof can.

If you have a bear walking thru your yard every day, then chase them away with an air horn.They'll be hibernating soon enough.

If you want to shoot a bear, then go get yourself a hunting license and kill the bear.

If it's acting aggressively, call Fish and Game and have them deal with it.

• Like 1

I have large coyotes, foxes and bears in my neighborhood. I've never once thought about shooting them to deter them. The fact is, if one leaves, another will take it's place. You either learn to live with nature, or move to a city where it's been mostly killed off. 

I carry when working outside, keep any food out of reach and mostly have never had any real issues. 

The neighbors are the issue, and seem to have their garbage dumped out every so often. If they are hanging out around humans for food, shooting them with non leathal will not do much at that point. 

Imo, it's counter productive to get yourself caught up in legal shit over an action that will probably have little effect.

• Agree 1

On 12/3/2018 at 8:40 PM, Malice4you said:

Other thought, is one of those big cans of bear mace...neighbors would never hear that,

Speaking of neighbors, it could be a good deterrent to keep the noisy ones away.

An Amazon.com Inc. worker is in critical condition at a New Jersey hospital after an aerosol can of bear repellent was punctured, spraying fumes in the company’s warehouse in Robbinsville, N.J., a spokesman for the town said.

Fifty-four people reported difficulty breathing as well as burning in their eyes and throats after the incident, which occurred just before 9 a.m. Wednesday. Emergency workers transported 24 people to local hospitals, including one in critical condition, town spokesman John Nalbone said.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/24-amazon-warehouse-workers-hospitalized-one-critically-in-bear-repellent-accident-2018-12-05

On 12/4/2018 at 2:52 PM, fishnut said:

OP- what sort of problem is the bear causing? Garbage issues? Live stock issues? @revenger

I now live in an area of NH loaded with black bear, I do not own anything less than lethal. If I need to shoot a bear I will be trying to kill if but I doubt it will ever come to that. 

Since may there have been 22 bear on my property that I know about, I'm sure there have been more. 

How many acres you have?  

Lol. 

A neighbor just shot two bears that were trying to get in his chicken coop. He used a 30-06.  One shot each.  I heard the shots in the morning. Another neighbor just shoots his 1911 into the ground to scare them off.  I am not sure if I would use non-lethal with bears, rubber buckshot could blind them or piss them off.

9 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

A neighbor just shot two bears that were trying to get in his chicken coop. He used a 30-06.  One shot each.  I heard the shots in the morning. Another neighbor just shoots his 1911 into the ground to scare them off.  I am not sure if I would use non-lethal with bears, rubber buckshot could blind them or piss them off.

Shot dead?  Warning shots?