Peter Goldwing

Guy breaks in the wrong house

Actually, it was the RIGHT house he broke into:

...." McLaughlin had been in and out of the county jail roughly a dozen times on charges ranging from drug possession to assaulting a police officer to shoplifting, officials said. He was currently awaiting trial on first-degree burglary and grand larceny charges. "

Hours after he and another inmate escaped jail after beating up a security guard, a South Carolina inmate was fatally shot after he broke into a woman’s house, officials said."

This lady just saved the tax payers a ton of money and eliminated a useless eater from the planet!

"Hours after he and another inmate escaped jail after beating up a security guard, a South Carolina inmate was fatally shot after he broke into a woman’s house, officials said.

Bruce McLaughlin Jr., 30, was shot in the head by the woman after he kicked in her back door on Tuesday, according to Pickens County authorities."

alYDTOr.gif

• Like 1

That's our South Carolina laws at work for us, the "Protection of Persons and Property Act": 

http://www.sled.sc.gov/ProtectionOfPeople.aspx?MenuID=CWP

The stated intent of the legislation is to codify the common law castle doctrine, which recognizes that a person’s home is his castle, and to extend the doctrine to include an occupied vehicle and the person’s place of business. This bill authorizes the lawful use of deadly force under certain circumstances against an intruder or attacker in a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle. The bill provides that there is no duty to retreat if (1) the person is in a place where he has a right to be, including the person’s place of business, (2) the person is not engaged in an unlawful activity, and (3) the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent death, great bodily injury, or the commission of a violent crime. A person who lawfully uses deadly force is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action, unless the person against whom deadly force was used is a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his official duties and he identifies himself in accordance with applicable law or the person using deadly force knows or reasonably should have known the person is a law enforcement officer.

My wife insists we don't keep any of our guns in the bedroom. I think one handgun would be sufficient. Now that she wants to get a second handgun for herself (She's thinking about a Sig P320 in .45), I was like great, that'd be fantastic for self-defense.She said no to that so I said fine, I'll keep my .22 in there. She said a .22 would be pointless and that her 9mm would be much better. Checkmate, already got her thinking about what we SHOULD have in there, not whether we should.

I don't give a crap if it's my .22 or if we get a .50 cal. Most people aren't wearing body armor and the shrapnel from the .22 will still accomplish plenty. This story just re-enforces my opinion that we should have something ready for self-defense.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I'll keep my .22 in there.

24 minutes ago, Greenday said:

(She's thinking about a Sig P320 in .45),

So, she has a 9mm and wants a .45, and you just love the .22

25 minutes ago, Greenday said:

My wife insists

Just an observation, but it might be time to show some testosterone in the household.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

So, she has a 9mm and wants a .45, and you just love the .22

Just an observation, but it might be time to show some testosterone in the household.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoy plinking at the range. My .22 is great for that.

And I prefer to treat my wife as my equal, not someone to be put in their place.

@Greenday - I'm no expert, but as Voyager9 pointed out, a .22 is thoroughly inadequate for self-defense... apparently, even a thick leather jacket can interfere with it's penetration. And if someone's jacked up on something and feeling no pain, it may just tick them off more. 

Perhaps you and your wife should sit down together at the computer and do some research on self-defense ammo. I assure you (because I've done it myself) the overwhelming majority of articles, videos, etc. that you pull up will ALL be saying the same thing: .22 ammo is NOT good for self-defense (unless you happen to have a horde of angry ninja chipmunks attacking the house)!  

I mean, obviously, the thing is to AVOID those situations - good outdoor lighting, good locks, good security practices... but god forbid someone has made it past all of that and is in your house, and your very lives are at stake, you will rue the day you kept the .22 in the bedroom instead of a bigger caliber gun. Again, I'm NO expert, but I think people far smarter than I will now weigh in and say the same thing! 

• Like 1

I'm much rather use the 9mm or a .45 and my wife knows realistically a .22 isn't the best option. But by suggesting the .22 and getting her to object to it not being powerful enough, I was able to open up the discussion over which caliber we should use. Suddenly instead of should we have one at all for protection, it's which one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Greenday said:

And I prefer to treat my wife as my equal, not someone to be put in their place.

Just because you’re equals doesn’t mean you have to be wrong.   There is a strong, logical case for having a home defense gun near where you might need it. 

7 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I'm much rather use the 9mm or a .45 and my wife knows realistically a .22 isn't the best option. But by suggesting the .22 and getting her to object to it not being powerful enough, I was able to open up the discussion over which caliber we should use. Suddenly instead of should we have one at all for protection, it's which one.

Ahhh, so you're using finesse to inch her in the right direction? Carry on! ;)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Greenday said:

It's not the best option but its better than a stick. I wouldn't want to be shot with a .22LR. Statistically speaking, .22LR is responsible for the second most gun-related fatalities annually of any caliber. My concern is less about the size of the projectile but about penetration and probably even more importantly.. the reliability of rimfire vs. center fire rounds. They just don't even come close.  Just explain the pros and cons using facts and reference the gazillion articles online. Good luck.

22 hours ago, Greenday said:

My wife insists we don't keep any of our guns in the bedroom. I think one handgun would be sufficient. Now that she wants to get a second handgun for herself (She's thinking about a Sig P320 in .45), I was like great, that'd be fantastic for self-defense.She said no to that so I said fine, I'll keep my .22 in there. She said a .22 would be pointless and that her 9mm would be much better. Checkmate, already got her thinking about what we SHOULD have in there, not whether we should.

I don't give a crap if it's my .22 or if we get a .50 cal. Most people aren't wearing body armor and the shrapnel from the .22 will still accomplish plenty. This story just re-enforces my opinion that we should have something ready for self-defense.

Not EXACTLY reverse psychology, but I get it, and you are wise to come up with a reasonable workaround. Letting HER rethink things like this can't hurt, only help.  

Can't even call it sneaky, tho some might. ;)

22 hours ago, voyager9 said:

In no world would I want a .22 for self defense. I’d rather throw hockey pucks.  The 9mm or .45 with suitable ammo (hornady CD, etc) is much better. 

Hey, I bet a potato gun could easily be modified to pass out  hockey pucks. :p

Would the ATF label that as an AOW?  :whatever:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Ahhh, so you're using finesse to inch her in the right direction? Carry on! ;)

Your open mindedness is refreshing. I liked seeing you react as you did here. I wish my better half were more so. 

Tho truth be said, she's at least consented to keeping one by her side of the bed. Reluctantly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GlennS87 said:

I keep a .357sig in a safe bedside and I don't really care what she has to say about it. If I listened to her I wouldn't be able to own any of my guns.

THERE'S that testosterone mentioned earlier. Maybe a wee tad too much?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlennS87 said:

I keep a .357sig in a safe bedside and I don't really care what she has to say about it. If I listened to her I wouldn't be able to own any of my guns.

Sounds like a healthy relationship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlennS87 said:

Ha Ha...  That sounds exactly like my house. I told wifey, my job is to protect you... end of discussion!

1 hour ago, 345Sire said:

THERE'S that testosterone mentioned earlier. Maybe a wee tad too much?

Exactly what I was referring to...  Not too much, some guys in this thread need to put on their big boy pants when needed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carl_g said:

Sounds like a healthy relationship.

It's fine as she has made some decisions that I haven't necessarily agreed with and did it anyway. My point is some people think because it's a gun that it should be treated differently. In fact, as she has seen the safety steps I take and the large amount of range practice she has come to support it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlennS87 said:

My point is some people think because it's a gun that it should be treated differently.

I approach it a similar way. I have all types of power tools, and when doing a project, I'll have them all out and around. When she makes a reference on how "dangerous" guns are, I just tell her, "do you have any idea how much I could hurt someone with my Milwaukee cordless drill or recip saw? You feel safe around them when I'm using them, right?"

That usually gets her to reconsider...

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

I approach it a similar way. I have all types of power tools, and when doing a project, I'll have them all out and around. When she makes a reference on how "dangerous" guns are, I just tell her, "do you have any idea how much I could hurt someone with my Milwaukee cordless drill or recip saw? You feel safe around them when I'm using them, right?"

That usually gets her to reconsider...

Hmm, wonder how my wife feels about my 2 Paslode  cordless nailguns in that regard,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.