45Doll

New Atomic Clock Beats Your G-Shock

I've long been a time and frequency guy (nut). Used to work for hp, had access to Cesium Beam time standards, frequency counters etc. As a ham radio operator often synced to WWV at 10 Mhz. I used to want a hp 5061 standard for my own, or settle for one of the rubidium standards in the used market. Oh well. The plethora of WWV linked 'atomic clocks' and wrist watches kind of made that expense unnecessary. Now I have two in the house and one on my wrist.

Well, that's all passe now. Meet the new ytterbium standard. There's a link to the full article in Nature, but I can't get to it. Here's the link to Science Alert.

"A man with a clock knows what time it is. A man with two clocks is never sure."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I've long been a time and frequency guy (nut). Used to work for hp, had access to Cesium Beam time standards, frequency counters etc. As a ham radio operator often synced to WWV at 10 Mhz. I used to want a hp 5061 standard for my own, or settle for one of the rubidium standards in the used market. Oh well. The plethora of WWV linked 'atomic clocks' and wrist watches kind of made that expense unnecessary. Now I have two in the house and one on my wrist.

Well, that's all passe now. Meet the new ytterbium standard. There's a link to the full article in Nature, but I can't get to it. Here's the link to Science Alert.

"A man with a clock knows what time it is. A man with two clocks is never sure."

I always laugh because the clocks we rely on are rarely accurate and after drift over time unless calibrated often. 

Which mean, even when YOU have the wolrds most accurate time, you will never perceptionaly actually be on time.