Tony13

Which 1911 to get?

Rock's make a great gun but my money would go to a Springfield Range Officer.

Springfield's are awesome.  The frames are solid.  Smith's will work on them IF you decide to upgrade to checkering, beavertail, etc.  

Good luck.  Lots of choices.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

I bought a Sig XO for the options it comes with.  Match barrel, adjustable sights,  realy nice checkering on the front and backstraps.  I got the stainless model for around 700.

Interesting. I’ll have to look into that one too. Where did you get yours?

Fondled the Springfield RO and Elite today. I liked what I saw and how it felt. The price for the Elite is close to the Dan Wesson. Not sure if I should just cough up a bit more for the Vigil.

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

I bought a Sig XO for the options it comes with.  Match barrel, adjustable sights,  realy nice checkering on the front and backstraps.  I got the stainless model for around 700.

Much love!

why does everyone hate on the sig 1911’s?

52 minutes ago, Tony13 said:

Interesting. I’ll have to look into that one too. Where did you get yours?

Fondled the Springfield RO and Elite today. I liked what I saw and how it felt. The price for the Elite is close to the Dan Wesson. Not sure if I should just cough up a bit more for the Vigil.

I bought it from Nelson Tactical.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:11 PM, Tony13 said:

The Springfield RO and Colt are on the radar. Smith and Wesson looks nice but if I’m going to jump up in price I’m considering a Dan Wesson Vigil. Anyone shoot one of those?

Keep in mind that vigil is built on an Aluminum frame  --  For a gaming gun I would want a heavier steel frame to absorb recoil and get me back on target faster

I do vote for a Dan Wesson though -- Save a little more money or go shop the classifieds over at 1911 addicts

A STI Trojan should be a consideration as well

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stonecoldchavez said:

I think because of the external extractor.  1911 purists don't like it. 

True... but the external extractor on the smith is what makes it realiable.  The old Kimbers had issues with their extractor.

Did not recall that Sig made a 1911 in 9mm.. I do like their 1911s.

The Dan Wesson's sure look nice but I was honestly not impressed with the lower end Dan Wessons.  The higher end ones were terrific however. 

9 minutes ago, RecessedFilter said:

I believe it was Grabagun that just had a ridiculous sale on s&w 1911 pro series ...I wanna say they were $699. The Pro series are IMO one of the nicest 1911s you can buy under a grand.

Springfield Range Officer is a great bang for the buck.

$699? WOW.  I paid I think it was $950 or $1000 10 years ago or so... and that was with discounts.

And yes, really awesome shooter... the most fun I had with it was shooting polymer bullet ammo.  Wow, talk about awesome.  If anyone wants to shoot it, and in the Western NJ, Eastern PA area, let me know.

The Springfield TRP Operator is a wicked gun if you can find one on sale. Suggested retail is a little higher than you depicted but worth every penny. As much as I am a Kimber fan, Springfield stole my hear with the TRP, my most fav modern 1911...

trp_800b.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bhunted said:

The Springfield TRP Operator is a wicked gun if you can find one on sale. Suggested retail is a little higher than you depicted but worth every penny. As much as I am a Kimber fan, Springfield stole my hear with the TRP, my most fav modern 1911...

trp_800b.jpg

Will have to take a look at it.  Played with older Springfield RO models and they were okay, nothing amazing.  This looks interesting. Then again, it is a 1911... how bad can it be? =P

• Like 1

Just now, Maksim said:

Will have to take a look at it.  Played with older Springfield RO models and they were okay, nothing amazing.  This looks interesting. Then again, it is a 1911... how bad can it be? =P

It's a tight gun. Their upper dollar model. Only thing a tad more expensive is their pro models.. I believe it can't get much better. Needs breaking in. But accurate as hell. I swapped out the factory G10 grips for the Sunburst ones in the pic. Makes the gun look more awesome almost all blacked out.... picture does it no justice. In person, it will make you swoon. :D

• Like 1

Just now, bhunted said:

It's a tight gun. Their upper dollar model. Only thing a tad more expensive is their pro models.. I believe it can't get much better. Needs breaking in. But accurate as hell. I swapped out the factory G10 grips for the Sunburst ones in the pic. Makes the gun look more awesome almost all blacked out.... picture does it no justice. In person, it will make you swoon. :D

What are they going for?

True... but the external extractor on the smith is what makes it realiable.  The old Kimbers had issues with their extractor.

1911 guys are just picky... a lot being traditional. If I was getting multiple 1911s, I’d consider the external extractor for one. But only one, do want it closer to the Browning design.

While I like the design, I really just bought my Ruger SR1911 because I wanted a 1911 in my collection. Series 70, stainless... very good gun for the price. I do believe they have a few models in 9mm.

Tossed on Heinie Straight. Eventually, will swap out all the non-stainless parts for stainless. Not that I need to, but like a full stainless look over stainless/MIM.

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

$699? WOW.  I paid I think it was $950 or $1000 10 years ago or so... and that was with discounts.

And yes, really awesome shooter... the most fun I had with it was shooting polymer bullet ammo.  Wow, talk about awesome.  If anyone wants to shoot it, and in the Western NJ, Eastern PA area, let me know.

Screenshot-20181207-081519.png

Actually I don't think it's a Pro. Sorry. Nice nonetheless.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:52 PM, Maksim said:

Right around $1k, especially if you are open to used, Smith & Wesson Pro Series 1911 in 9mm.

Other good budget type choices are the STI Spartan.

Older Kimber 1911's were good, newer ones not impressed with.

I agree on the older Series 1 Kimber. 

3 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

I believe it was Grabagun that just had a ridiculous sale on s&w 1911 pro series ...I wanna say they were $699. The Pro series are IMO one of the nicest 1911s you can buy under a grand.

Springfield Range Officer is a great bang for the buck.

Is it available in 9mm?

4 hours ago, bhunted said:

Same here... lots of love for the TRP

I've done quite a bit of modifications/hand filing on my stainless version - here's a after/before shot:

ZDkg0II.jpg

and another....

bjtApCR.jpg

Very reliable, accurate, and absolutely love the 20lpi front strap checkering.  With all the work I've done to mine, feels like a completely different gun, but they are awesome.  

Edit:  I think the carbon steel and stainless base TRP's can be had used for around or maybe even under $1k.  If I'm not mistaken, Springfield honors transferred warranties as well (lifetime).

• Like 1