Tony13

Which 1911 to get?

11 hours ago, fatty said:

Same here... lots of love for the TRP

I've done quite a bit of modifications/hand filing on my stainless version - here's a after/before shot:

ZDkg0II.jpg

and another....

bjtApCR.jpg

Very reliable, accurate, and absolutely love the 20lpi front strap checkering.  With all the work I've done to mine, feels like a completely different gun, but they are awesome.  

Edit:  I think the carbon steel and stainless base TRP's can be had used for around or maybe even under $1k.  If I'm not mistaken, Springfield honors transferred warranties as well (lifetime).

Humn, just thinking about this more... this branding is a turn off for me... too much plastered on the gun... "TRP", and most of all the "Tactical" and "Operator" on the gun.  BLAH... appeals too much to "tacticool" crowd.

And here I remember people complaining about the billboard on the Desert Eagle 1911s. =P

Here is a nice 1911 I recall playing with at Shot Show that had minimal advertising and was fitted really nicely.

https://star15.com/c2gtm-1911-pistol

1911.JPG

TRP = “the right pistol” so they say.

A dealer is selling new Dan Wesson Valor in SS 45acp for $1249 on Gunbroker. Thats a great price. These are not blem models and the dealer is legit. Personally if you wanted to go up a tier in quality and spend a little more money then I would look hard at that one. Impressed b the Valor a lot. And yes, I have many, many, many 1911s. I believe you will be very happy if you got one. No upgrades needed on this one unless you wanted different grips or sights on it. twogunjay is the name of the dealer. 

Which Cabela’s has a better pistol section, Delaware or the Pa one? Gonna take a ride out to man handle a few.

Better chance at the Oaks gun show...

Cabela’s will only hand any firearm over with a trigger lock on it. No dry firing. Newish policy, after someone shot themselves at a store (unsure if it was Bass Pro or them, but policy across the board).

5 hours ago, Tony13 said:

Which Cabela’s has a better pistol section, Delaware or the Pa one? Gonna take a ride out to man handle a few.

Your better opportunity is to just post your request and I am sure numerous members here will be happy to let you play with theirs... just cover ammo if you shoot ALOT! 

I have a Desert Eagle 1911 in 45, the Smith Wesson Pro series in 9mm, and an SVI 2011 in 40sw.   Right across the river in PA. 

You can also drop by many of the USPSA and IDPA matches attended by members. 

Playing around with one at a store without shooting it is like going to a strip club and not touching? 

You can also go to the range and pay and rent the guns you are interested in.

11 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

Taurus pt1911...inexpensive, reliable, great reviews

This is a good suggestion.  The Taurus 1911's I played with were all nice guns and at the end of the day, it is a 1911... the ORIGINAL lego for adults prior to the AR15. 

For those that are not familiar with 1911s, the parts are generally compatible between all the brands.  The major differences are when it comes to barrels and extractors, with either internal or external extractor, the barrel ramp and which series safeties. 

• Like 1

agree....one mod that is suggested by guys that have thousands of rounds on their pt1911s is the wilson combat bullet proof extractor.   Once this happens, forums suggest damn near invincibility...lol     I don't buy into that but will say that it eats everything from steel, to aluminum to brass and I've yet to have a single with it and its accurate, very.

3 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

agree....one mod that is suggested by guys that have thousands of rounds on their pt1911s is the wilson combat bullet proof extractor.   Once this happens, forums suggest damn near invincibility...lol     I don't buy into that but will say that it eats everything from steel, to aluminum to brass and I've yet to have a single with it and its accurate, very.

No experience with it on my 45... but on the Smith with the external extractor, I always get "positive" extraction, even with powder puff loads.  I probably have 15,000 rounds or so through the gun, so not a ton, but the only stoppages I recall was either an unseated mag (10 round mag on closed chamber... so technically not the gun's fault)... and a squib load (not enough powder, bullet stuck in barrel)... again not the gun's fault.

While an external extractor on a 1911 is not "pure," I am a huge fan.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tony13 said:

Go to Heritage Guild in PA -- a lot closer and they usually have a decent selection

This is just to fondle some 1911's 

There are a lot of quality 1911's available today. To stay 1000 and under your going to have to purchase a production 1911 

If you decide to spend a little more S&W pro series or Comp ready STI from Dawson would be your next best bet. I have a Dawson comp ready trojan in 45 best part is it was ready right out of the box never fired and ran it at a match it was awesome.

https://dawsonprecision.com/copy-of-sti-trojan-crp-hard-chrome/

I have Kimber 9mm Team2 that I also run never had any issues. actually my favorite 1911 that I own. 

• Like 1