MartyZ

epoxy mag pistol floor plates with magblocks

I know some of you are planning to use or already have used magblocks for your pistol mags. I will be shipping the bulk of my magazines to FL but I figured i'll hold a few back and try out these magblocks. So I have a few on the way along with their machinable epoxy. 

My question is primarily with the epoxy. Most pistol magazines, aside from glock, are metal with plastic floor plates, so how are you guys applying the epoxy? Are you applying it around the entire rim, in a few spots around the rim? Or, are you guys applying the epoxy in the hole at the bottom of the floor plate to glue the floor plate to the insert?

Inquiring minds want to know.

2 hours ago, MartyZ said:

Yeah, saw that too. They are a CA company and that is legal in CA, but not NJ because it's not "permanent"

So how are the “new” 10 rd mags coming out? Giant plastic filler piece with a short spring? Are you able to open them up to clean them? My thought is that the spring is permanently epoxied to the block. Can’t separate them without ruining the spring.

23 minutes ago, Tony13 said:

So how are the “new” 10 rd mags coming out? Giant plastic filler piece with a short spring? Are you able to open them up to clean them? My thought is that the spring is permanently epoxied to the block. Can’t separate them without ruining the spring.

Yes, that's how it's always been

Here you go, 10 rnd vp9 mags

20180804_111917_zps5rq6itg7.jpg

42 minutes ago, Tony13 said:

Recently I saw a picture of an AR mag like that.  Essentially a riser on the floor plate, then a shirt spring.  Break off the riser and you can’t use the spring.  Therefore the baseplate need not be permanently attached.  

The baseplate needs to be epoxied with a magblock because the spring is still full length.  

... is my non professional observations. 

I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but if a roll pin is good enough for pinning an AR stock, I can’t see why it wouldn’t be good enough to pin a mag.  But do your own due diligence. 

Spring epoxied to magblock wouldn't be permanent but to each their own.

Roll pin is good enough for AR stock because nothing in law says permanent for stocks, but it does say permanent for magazines

Taking a 15 round magazine and blocking to 10 is different than a manufacturer making a 10 round magazine short spring and riser.  NJSP said of hexmags holding 11 rounds its fine because the manufacturer created the magazine to only hold 10.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cabalrayz said:

Spring epoxied to magblock wouldn't be permanent but to each their own.

Roll pin is good enough for AR stock because nothing in law says permanent for stocks, but it does say permanent for magazines

Taking a 15 round magazine and blocking to 10 is different than a manufacturer making a 10 round magazine short spring and riser.  NJSP said of hexmags holding 11 rounds its fine because the manufacturer created the magazine to only hold 10.

So then how is everyone cleaning there mags? Or not?

Just now, Tony13 said:

So then how is everyone cleaning there mags? Or not?

i would assume they are not, no magazine that's been blocked by a dealer in NJ have i ever been able to open, they are either glued or blind pinned or both.  I'd be interested to know dealers that are finding a way to block the magazines and leave the floor plate able to be opened without cutting the magazine body.

Here's the deal. 

At some point by replacing parts or altering the mag as sold, you are manufacturing a new magazine. Where that line is in NJ is is not defined, and has no precedent set. 

As a number of businesses demonstrated when the AWB sunset, if you have a tig welder, some skill with it, and two 10 round magazines, you can convert at lest one of them into a greater than 10 round magazine. Was the magazine not low capacity? Not permanently altered? Or was a new full or extended capacity magazine manufactured out of compliant parts? 

Under the AWB that was more clear as a less fuzzy line was drawn. 

Plenty of blocked mas in NJ have shipped with nothing but a rivet. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Here's the deal. 

At some point by replacing parts or altering the mag as sold, you are manufacturing a new magazine. Where that line is in NJ is is not defined, and has no precedent set. 

As a number of businesses demonstrated when the AWB sunset, if you have a tig welder, some skill with it, and two 10 round magazines, you can convert at lest one of them into a greater than 10 round magazine. Was the magazine not low capacity? Not permanently altered? Or was a new full or extended capacity magazine manufactured out of compliant parts? 

Under the AWB that was more clear as a less fuzzy line was drawn. 

Plenty of blocked mas in NJ have shipped with nothing but a rivet. 

I got a sig 320 full with 2 dimples..

everyone calm down! And don’t rob quick checks with your home modded mags! Cuz  that will be trouble 

As I said, I believe that a  few drops of epoxy on the release button would do it without wrecking the mag. You wouldnt be able to open it without tools of some sort. I am not going to say that it couldn't be taken apart if need be.  Any mag could be opened with the right tools. Intent is the key here.  I "intended" to permanently seal my modified 10 rd mag so I epoxied the  button so it wont open..I did not intend to try to skirt the law.  If they dont like that then lock me the fuck up.  Fuck them!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tunaman said:

As I said, I believe that a  few drops of epoxy on the release button would do it without wrecking the mag. You wouldnt be able to open it without tools of some sort. I am not going to say that it couldn't be taken apart if need be.  Any mag could be opened with the right tools. Intent is the key here.  I "intended" to permanently seal my modified 10 rd mag so I epoxied the  button so it wont open..I did not intend to try to skirt the law.  If they dont like that then lock me the fuck up.  Fuck them!

That's the answer I was actually waiting for :). Epoxy the release button, makes it permanently unalterable without power tools. And absolutely anything can be altered with power tools.

All this talk of modifying....glue, epoxy, weld, cut, rivet, snip, block, permanent, intent, etc........if your doing all this it means your complying which is fine, but why not then just buy some factory compliants and put any and all doubt to rest. If you're unfortunate to have to prove your mags are legit you're already screwed and will be running a legal and financial gauntlet. Surely the cost of some new mags is waaay cheaper and easier. At least IMO.

16 minutes ago, siderman said:

All this talk of modifying....glue, epoxy, weld, cut, rivet, snip, block, permanent, intent, etc........if your doing all this it means your complying which is fine, but why not then just buy some factory compliants and put any and all doubt to rest. If you're unfortunate to have to prove your mags are legit you're already screwed and will be running a legal and financial gauntlet. Surely the cost of some new mags is waaay cheaper and easier. At least IMO.

Simple answer, cost. I have 9 USP45 mags which, 10 rounders are currently going for $70 at the cheapest. So that's either spend $630 replacing them, and hope I get half for my 12 rounders. Or, spend $45 (9 magblocks) and be done with it.

I also have 7 VP9 mags and 7 XDM mags. It all adds up.

Edit: As far as legal issues go, if 15/30 AR mags were always legal as long as the floor plate was non-removable, then how would this be different?

• Like 1

So is a pop rivet a legit way to stop the follower from letting you put more than 10 rounds in a mag? I wouldn't mind doing that, as the river could be drilled-out and removed at a later date when this stupid law gets reversed, or I leave the state. Most likely, leaving the state will come first. I don't feel like buying 10 rounders for NJ, seems like a waste of time and money. I have plenty of guns to chose from, my 1911's and revolvers have smiles on them right now. :)

Well, except for my Para 1911 double stack, I bought that one for home defense. Fifteen rounds of .45ACP and MANY mags to leave around the house. Have not even looked to see if 10 round mags are made for that gun.

4 minutes ago, M4BGRINGO said:

So is a pop rivet a legit way to stop the follower from letting you put more than 10 rounds in a mag? I wouldn't mind doing that, as the river could be drilled-out and removed at a later date when this stupid law gets reversed, or I leave the state. Most likely, leaving the state will come first. I don't feel like buying 10 rounders for NJ, seems like a waste of time and money. I have plenty of guns to chose from, my 1911's and revolvers have smiles on them right now. :)

Well, except for my Para 1911 double stack, I bought that one for home defense. Fifteen rounds of .45ACP and MANY mags to leave around the house. Have not even looked to see if 10 round mags are made for that gun.

No NJSP have said for years now that a pop rivet alone is not enough.  The law states permanent, meaning it can't be reversed.

1 hour ago, cabalrayz said:

No NJSP have said for years now that a pop rivet alone is not enough.

How could they say that for years? This law was just past in June.

Any restricted 15 round mags I've seen (Hexmags and others) had removable floor plates the past years.

2 hours ago, cabalrayz said:

No NJSP have said for years now that a pop rivet alone is not enough.

Actually, I thought I remembered reading that a rivet was considered OK, so I went and searched.

According to Nappen and Bach (who everyone here claims are the experts), a rivet is OK:

....." A large capacity ammunition magazine must be permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition. (e.g. riveted, welded, epoxied, etc.) It cannot be readily restorable. An ammunition magazine which has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still unlawful. "

https://gunforhire.com/nj-gun-mag-ban/

I couldn't find anything on the NJSP site. Do you have a link?

14 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

How could they say that for years? This law was just past in June.

Any restricted 15 round mags I've seen (Hexmags and others) had removable floor plates the past years.

they said it for years because we've had restricted mags for a while now 15 rounds.  are you suggesting the rules for blocked 10 round mags are different than the blocked 15 were had.

Hexmags are manufactured to be 15 rounds thats different than a high cap magazine altered to hold 15.  which is why the state police had no issue with hexmags holding 16 rounds which most of the gen1 hexmags did.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Actually, I thought I remembered reading that a rivet was considered OK, so I went and searched.

According to Nappen and Bach (who everyone here claims are the experts), a rivet is OK:

....." A large capacity ammunition magazine must be permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition. (e.g. riveted, welded, epoxied, etc.) It cannot be readily restorable. An ammunition magazine which has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still unlawful. "

https://gunforhire.com/nj-gun-mag-ban/

I couldn't find anything on the NJSP site. Do you have a link?

it was in a letter to NJ FFLS i'd have to look it up i'm sure someone has it handy,  and yes Nappen the expert who told us all the shockwaves were illegal even after the NJSP issued a letter to FFLS saying they are legal.  

Here's a thread that refers to the letter back from 8 years ago, and an FFL getting another copy of that letter last year.  sorry i don't think i have a copy of it anymore.

• Like 1

I have some magazines that need to be modified from 15 to 10 rounds to keep from being sent to the gulag in the Soviet State of NJ.. They are mostly AK and AR mags.

I decided to see if I could take apart and reblock four 15/30’s that were already permanently altered when I purchased the rifles from a NJ Dealer. I wanted to see how well they were made permanent and did’t care if I messed them up, it was more practice before modifying some better mags.

Just by looking at them you could not tell they were epoxied in any way, only pinned or riveted. I was able to carefully take them apart without damaging them fairly quickly.. 

Two were AK Pmags pinned going through the side of the floor plate, through the body and into the plastic block. One was an MFT AR mag pinned through the bottom of the floor plate into the block with some sort of adhesive attaching the block to the spring. The other was an AR PMag riveted through the floor plate into the block with adhesive between the block and floor plate. The adhesives used did not adhere well to the polymer of either the Pmag or the MFT and popped right off under some pressure. Don’t know what the adhesives were, one was black the other a clear yellowish color..