Zeke

Uggg . I have a question about courtesy vs “ toxic masculinity “

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I love when I hold a door for someone and the person can't be bothered to say thank you or even acknowledge that I'm there. 

That's when you say, "You're welcome!" to remind them.

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I love when I hold a door for someone and the person can't be bothered to say thank you or even acknowledge that I'm there. 

That's when you say, "You're welcome!" to remind them.

1 person likes this

Back in my Rutgers college days (mid-90s), taking a required "humanities" class over on Douglas campus (note: it had the nickname 'Dyke U' back then) I made the apparent mistake of holding the door open for what I perceived to be a female (correct on the gender, despite the state of dress, and it certainly didn't act like a lady) and was promptly told that she didn't require any MAN to hold a door open for her.  I paused a moment, shrugged my shoulders, and shut the door behind me and in her face.

If you want to be treated like trash, act like it.  I'll probably be happy to oblige.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

That is a Beta Male passive aggressive way of dealing with things.

While directed flawlessly, there is nothing wrong with a little passive aggressive sarcasm to lighten ones day! I feel like the average person today actually gets off on pissing people off. 

2 people like this

On 12/8/2018 at 8:50 PM, JackDaWack said:

While directed flawlessly, there is nothing wrong with a little passive aggressive sarcasm to lighten ones day! I feel like the average person today actually gets off on pissing people off. 

I'm fluent in sarcasm with a minor in being smarmy. 

I have always opened doors for women, and have never had one say anything other than thank-you.

Hell, when I am out for dinner with women, I even help them on with their coats. They usually don't expect that, and I always get a thanks and a smile. 

It's called being polite, and it doesn't cost a thing. 

On 12/7/2018 at 2:04 PM, GRIZ said:

Thought I'd relate a story from some time ago.  I was in another country where the women really liked American men.  Thought I'd ask the woman I was with what they liked about American men.  As I was doing so we were going through a door I had opened for her.  Her response? 

"If I were with a ______man I wouldn't get through that door unless I opened it myself".

This happens to me a lot when I am in Europe - especially Germany.

1 person likes this