Sniper

In Other News, Is Anyone Watching The Stock Market Recently?

The market goes up and the market goes down.  If you are investing for the long-term don't watch it daily and relax.  In the long run don't bet against America - the market as a whole will go up over time.  If you are doing short-term trading, well yes it has been a wild ride.

• Like 5

In reality... it's 2007.

Forget the one offs...

record consumer debt, record corporate debt, increasing default rates, crawling to a halt housing market, China and others dumping US Treasuries.

Just the tip of the last few years.

and oh yeah... the Fed hikes finally kicking in.

It's 2007 and the debt bubble about to seriously burst. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Maksim said:

In reality... it's 2007.

Forget the one offs...

record consumer debt, record corporate debt, increasing default rates, crawling to a halt housing market, China and others dumping US Treasuries.

and oh yeah... the Fed hikes finally kicking in.

It's 2007 and the debt bubble about to seriously burst. 

Should I pull out all my money and invest in canned goods and shotguns?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Maksim said:

In reality... it's 2007.

Forget the one offs...

Market taking another pounding today.

The end of the current cycle is getting closer, and with all the added debt since 2009, look out below...........

8 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Market taking another pounding today.

The end of the current cycle is getting closer, and with all the added debt since 2009, look out below...........

That is just the overpriced stock valuations....

The big thing I am watching is credit default swaps.  Put "deutsche bank" on your google alerts.  The amount of re-insurance out there right now is astronomical and if one link in the chain breaks... GFC2... bigger, badder.

There will certainly be safe places to hang out, muni bonds, commodities, precious metals and even "disconnected emerging markets" which were not debt fueled.  Everything else? Eh.

And btw... this is also why Trump is likely not to get reelected in 2 years and perhaps why being passed around that he will not stand for reelection.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maksim said:

The big thing I am watching is credit default swaps.  Put "deutsche bank" on your google alerts. 

Deutsch Bank is a walking Zombie. They are definitely a ticking time bomb that very well get the party started. Remember Lehman Bros? Multiply by 100+

There will certainly be safe places to hang out, muni bonds, commodities, precious metals and even "disconnected emerging markets" which were not debt fueled.  Everything else? Eh.

I met with a new financial planner yesterday, just to try and pick his brain on where to do just that, where to hang out.

There aren't a whole lotta good options and some of the good options have crappy yields..

And btw... this is also why Trump is likely not to get reelected in 2 years and perhaps why being passed around that he will not stand for reelection.  

Yeah, I don't believe he'll be back for another 4. He'll be 4 and done.

2 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Deutsch Bank is a walking Zombie. They are definitely a ticking time bomb that very well get the party started. Remember Lehman Bros? Multiply by 100+

I met with a new financial planner yesterday, just to try and pick his brain on where to do just that, where to hang out.

There aren't a whole lotta good options and some of the good options have crappy yields..

Yeah, I don't believe he'll be back for another 4. He'll be 4 and done.

Stop chasing yield.

Sometimes, return of capital is what you should be worried about. =)  Cash is just as solid of an option at times.  But if you want safe, a credit union I belong to is at 5% on savings. =)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maksim said:

Stop chasing yield.

Sometimes, return of capital is what you should be worried about. =)  Cash is just as solid of an option at times.  But if you want safe, a credit union I belong to is at 5% on savings. =)

That's insane. I think I'm getting less than 1/2 percent at my credit union. I'm going to need to make an appointment. 

Stop chasing yield.

Sometimes, return of capital is what you should be worried about. =)

Preservation of capital is number one on my list, some growth is just icing on the cake.

Cash is just as solid of an option at times. 

I agree, and I have plenty of dry powder sitting and waiting for a good opportunity.

But if you want safe, a credit union I belong to is at 5% on savings. =)

That's not bad, I was just talking to wifey this morning on how nuts it is now, with the flat market, that we even consider returns of a few points as "good"....

What's their "catch" to get the 5%?

56 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Preservation of capital is number one on my list, some growth is just icing on the cake.

I agree, and I have plenty of dry powder sitting and waiting for a good opportunity.

That's not bad, I was just talking to wifey this morning on how nuts it is now, with the flat market, that we even consider returns of a few points as "good"....

What's their "catch" to get the 5%?

None, it is a credit union.  PM me can point you in the direction. 

• Like 1

None, it is a credit union.  PM me can point you in the direction. 

Yes would be interested in hearing what one needs to do to put money in the credit union at 5% risk free. Has to have a catch I would think.

23 hours ago, Maksim said:

The big thing I am watching is credit default swaps.  Put "deutsche bank" on your google alerts.  The amount of re-insurance out there right now is astronomical and if one link in the chain breaks... GFC2... bigger, badder.

Ha

I was thinking about that today, and remembered the movie The Big Short. The first time I saw it was on a airplane trip, so I missed some bits and pieces.

We watched it again just now. It's really very similar what's going on now and what happened back in 2008. The situation now is even worse, not as much with housing, but with everything else.

Definitely gives me a lot to think (and plan) about.

30 minutes ago, Sniper said:

It's getting a bit more interesting, down another 1500+ since the last post, with no bottom in sight yet.............

If youre a day trader... Id be sweating my ass off right now... 

Luckily... if you follow the long term market trends you cant lose if you have wise investment strategies.. and play for the end game.

It's nice to get in low, and sell high.. but the normal investor loses money trying to do that... timing the market is impossible if you dont make it a 24/7 job. There are stats out there, and most day traders get rich off the dumbass trying to play the market short term. I myself learned a few lessons there, but I didnt have a choice... would have made a killing if I didn't pull money out to buy a house. 

1 hour ago, myhatinthering said:

market is floating on cheap financing and it should be at 10k, not 25k

It's trying hard to get to that lower level. Based on debt levels, I really wonder where the bottom will finally be?