TonyS.

Truck Differential/axle Repair Shops?

Got a GMC Suburban. Pinion gear in the rear differential has two teeth cracked off. 238K miles on the truck and she runs great otherwise. Remanufactured rear axle/diff with drum brakes is around $1450 from what I'm seeing. I'm thinking..hoping more like it, there's a good shop around central NJ that rebuilds diffs. Anyone know of any? Thank you.

OK, just talked to a friend who recommended Metuchen Transmission on Vineyard Rd in Edison. Any opinions on them? Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Splat said:

Thanks guys. I've called around to few salvage yards and no dice yet. It's a haul but I'll give RP in Pennsauken a call Monday. Waiting on Metuchen Tranny on a quote as well. Truck runs great and just had a new exhaust system put on. Figures, right?

ask for henry. tell him john from john's car care told ya to call. he's good people

what rear is in that thing?  Gearing?  

I just threw a perfectly good axle out a year ago -- stocker out of a 95 -- upgraded to a 14 bolt

Find out what you have -- crawl under there and read the tag, get your gear ratio then buy a used take off on Craigs list

Are you actually close to metuchen? I'm in Middlesex borough -- I can help if you need it -- I'll even swap out the axle for you for a small fee if you can't do it yourself

Lets start here -- 94 GMC suburban -- 2wd or 4wd? 1500 or 2500?  

I just did a quick search -- I can find half a dozen axles under $500 -- figure out what you have and what you need before spending big money rebuilding -- just swap it out with a good unit

Like Joe said -- Go to Car part and find your axle --  Do you have ABS brakes?

There are a few on there and I have used car part before -- junkyard guys are hit or miss -- might get a guy on the phone you can talk to , might get an asshole -- but I guess thats how it works anywhere

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Also search craigslist and Facebook marketplace -- don't be afraid to buy a whole parts truck, steal the axle you need then scrap it out -- might just get the axle for free

On 12/8/2018 at 10:25 AM, Maksim said:

We have a few car mechanics on the site with their own shop.  @NJJim comes to mind.  Perhaps can help you or point you in right direction.

Thanks. This isn't the kind of job I would take on.

Looks like plenty of advice given already. My first question would be "How much is this thing worth?" Is it really worth spending that much money? A used unit would be my choice for something that old unless it is restored or pristine condition. And the rest of the truck will last hundreds of thousands more miles.