Howard

Glock 35 Feed Failure help needed

I've been having problems with my Gen4 Glock 35 in USPSA matches for about a month or so now, random feed failures that seem to be getting worse.  I made the mistake of first posting about this on FB in Glock Nation and must have gotten 200 mostly useless responses with all to many telling me it was my reloads or limp wristing - arg.  When it started I though I narrowed it down to a pair of Glock 15 round mags with Dawson +4 basepads.  Figured the springs must be worn.  But then it started to happen with 15 rounders with no extension.  I bought two ETS 140mm mags and they ran fine for two weeks, and now it is happening with them.  I think it is a random issue and does not have to do with the magazines at this point.  I have tried three different brands of factory ammo and cannot say it happens on one brand versus another.  The problem as you can see in the picture is a round goes into the chamber nose pointing up and cartridge rim pointed down and locks up.  In this first picture it looks like the cartridge is pulled out from the extractor but I don't know if that is the cause or if it is getting pulled out because it is not clambering correctly.  On my last stage at a match yesterday it started doing this after every single shot.  When we were done I tried someone else's Glock mag and it ran perfectly - BUT then I tried a mag dump with one of mine that was giving troubles in the match and it too ran perfectly.  I really hate these intermittent problems.  So, what do you guys think I should consider to track down the cause????

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: outdoor

No automatic alt text available.

If you have a steel pick set, try cleaning / scraping the carbon buildup out of the corners of the breech face. You will be surprised how much buildup there is as its almost unnoticeable to the eye. Remove the extractor and scrape that clean too. Same goes for the feed ramp. Polish the feed ramp if you can. 

Also, check that your extractor is moving freely.

Is this a high round count pistol? If so, is your RSA worn out or weak?

Is your trigger bar rubbing against that round?

• Like 1

My gut is telling me you need new mag springs. Go to Wolff Gunsprings and order the +10% mag springs. You can get a 10 pack for $50. 

When is the last time you conducted preventative maintenance on the gun?

New recoil spring assembly?

New Mag springs?

What aftermarket parts do you have on the gun?

I have had bad luck with ETS mags and will no longer use them.

• Like 1

Since you play gun games we know those mags are dropped to the ground (unless you are one of those "reload with retention" IDPA realists gamers.)  Do you clean those glock mags after every time they hit the ground?  If not, crud and fine particles can get in them and then travel up and through the gun.

As other suggested, clean the extractor and breach face well to make sure nothing holding up ejection and pulling next round.  Just as likely, worn out recoil spring assembly.  Both cheap fixes and good preventative maintenance.  What caliber? Or they interchangeable?  I have a Gen 3 and 4 Block 22 that you can swap parts with to test out if you need. 

14 hours ago, High Exposure said:

My gut is telling me you need new mag springs. Go to Wolff Gunsprings and order the +10% mag springs. You can get a 10 pack for $50. 

When is the last time you conducted preventative maintenance on the gun?

New recoil spring assembly?

New Mag springs?

What aftermarket parts do you have on the gun?

I have had bad luck with ETS mags and will no longer use them.

When this first started happening it was very random and was only happening on two Glock 15 round mags that I had Dawson +4 basepads on to get me to 19 rounds in 140mm.  They have extended mag springs and I thought maybe those springs were getting weak.  That is when I bought the two ETS 140mm mags, as I have had good luck with them in 9mm, but just after I bought them a friend told me his 9mm work great but his .40 cal ones don't work well.  The first match I used the ETS they ran flawlessly, then yesterday they worked like crap.  While this could all be mag springs I tend to doubt that all of mine just happen to be going bad all at once.  I am starting to have the same random issues with the stock mags too.  

Recoil spring was my first guess.  Especially since I switched to slightly hotter ammo.  I had been shooting some 167 PF ammo and was actually running a 9mm recoil spring with good results.  When this started happening with the flat point ammo I switched to the stock .40 recoil spring that had minimal usage and it did not improve the situation - so I don't think the recoil spring either :(

As for after market parts I have a DK Trigger, extended and skelotinized striker and titanium drop safety plunger with light spring.

Having recently moved to FL and living in a rented house I did very little maintenance on the guns.  Now that I am getting settled in my new home I am started to unpack my tools and gun supplies and have to get back into better maintenance practices - yea my bad.  I am terrible about cleaning mags unless I drop them in mud.  But then again, these problems seem to run across all mags.

One of the posts had some specs on lip spread so I will see if I can find my calipers (still in a box somewhere) and check that.  Probably worth while to just replace all the mag springs as well, can't hurt.  Do you know if the .40 and the 9mm mags use the same springs?  I was looking at the Wolff springs a few days ago and they seemed to talk all about G17, G19, etc... and I did not see specific ones for G22, G35, etc...

12 hours ago, LocoOcho said:

Most likely magazines as long as the extractor and chamber/feedramp is reasonably clean and the recoil spring isn’t worn out. Here’s a couple of possibilities straight from Glock Armorers...

73FF5C19-8C20-4BF3-B0D6-4BDE4625518C.jpeg

282320D4-5585-484C-9D55-496C6E382313.jpeg

7C8229BC-D157-4D0F-9889-E3473659E987.jpeg

1077059B-2D9A-49D0-BDA0-E0504330F771.jpeg

THANKS.  Will definitely check those feed lips.

14 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

When did you last replace your recoil spring?

If it's more than 5000 rounds ago, I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of shit that's what it is.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Stu, had been using a 9mm recoil spring with Freedom HP ammo which just barely makes powerfactor.  Ran low on that and switched to some factory flat point ammo and went back to the original recoil spring which had almost no usage.  Initially thought perhaps it was the ammo, so I have tried three different brands of factory ammo and have same problem with all, so thinking not the ammo.  

How old is the gun and how much use has it had?

I'm now wondering if there is wear on the mag catch which is letting the mag sit slightly too low in the frame.

To test you could flip it to Lefty so the other side of the catch is engaging with the mag.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk